Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple OS X Mountain Lion vs. Linux

Phoronix: Apple OS X Mountain Lion vs. Linux

For those that somehow didn't hear yet, Apple released OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" on Wednesday...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTE0NjY

Three-way comparision

It would be nice with a three-way comparison of Ubuntu 12.10, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and Windows 8.

Comment

Feature comparison

Now that we have 8 core, 16 gb RAM, and fast SSD, then if one system is a couple percent faster in some benchmark, it's not noticeable and quite unimportant.

So it would be nice with a feature comparison.

Comment

As a user of both I can't wait!

What I would love to see is a review of OpenCL performance across various platforms. Systems without GPU acceleration should be tested also to get an idea of how systems really benefit from OpenCL.

Comment

Get ready for quite a lot of work setting up Linux on the Retina. Some people in the Arch forums had trouble, GregKH had trouble and he is no ordinary user.

Comment

Another terrible article from Phoronix... I'm not even surprised anymore...

The title is extremely misleading! You imply that you have, you know, actual benchmarks. The article is 90% link-spam and *content* that can easily be summarized with "there will benchmarks soon", which is a tweet, not an article.

I don't know why I even bother...

Comment

What I'd like to know is what is broken/fixed in this new version. In Lion the Samba changes were a big issue that sparked lots of user frustration.

Comment

Michael,

I want you to know that I'm extremely jealous about your rMBP. I want one, but am holding out (and preparing my wallet) for a 2012 iMac and a Panasonic WT50.

Gimme gimme gimme!

The consensus seems to be that it's a wonderful piece of tech, but that the display really pushes the limits of the GPU(s) in a number of scenarios. ML was supposed to resolve some of the teething issues.

The only recommendation I have regarding its use is to disable AA when running 3D applications at full resolution. Since there's no aliasing to begin with, it's nice to get back that 15-40% that AA takes away.

F

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
                  What I'd like to know is what is broken/fixed in this new version. In Lion the Samba changes were a big issue that sparked lots of user frustration.
                  So far what I've seen is that people are having trouble on 10.7 with binaries compiled on 10.8

I'm still building so I can't say for sure one way or the other.

Comment

For those that somehow didn't hear yet, Apple released OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion" on Wednesday.
                    Because everyone cares about Apple? I hope they die in a couch fire!

Comment

Working...
                    X