Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME 3.x Shell Isn't Yet Primed For FreeBSD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
    In KDE this can be accomplished either through alt+f2 (which is much better than gnome's alt+f2 launcher) or through either the default or lancalot launchers.
    in gnome 3 it isn't alt+F2. Either the super key (under Windoze systems this key is called "Windows key") or via the mouse movement to the right-hand top side. But it's right that another key combination works as well, but I don't use it.

    IMHO the default appearance of gnome 3 is fine. I'm not a configuration freak. I even keep the desktop background image usually, except if it's too ugly.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
      IMHO navigating through a KDE or xfce menu to find and open a application takes longer than pressing the super key, entering the first few letters of application name and return.
      I can do that with dmenu in any WM/DE, not really a Gnome feature.

      And alternatively it's also very easy to click on a application in the favorite bar to open it.
      You can easily add application launchers to the panel. Or use something like cairo-dock, AWN, .... Or even easier, just use keyboard shortcuts for your favorite applications, so you don't even have to reach for the mouse.

      KDE and it's default applications are also pretty ugly compared to gnome 3. Compare this to this. What looks uglier?
      Come on, you prefer Gnome over KDE because you don't like the default theme? Really? Who really uses the default themes?

      So far I can see nothing that can't be done with other DEs/WMs.

      Comment


      • #13
        Best feature in Gnome3: https://extensions.gnome.org/

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by disi View Post
          Best feature in Gnome3: https://extensions.gnome.org/
          Do they have an integrated extension downloader like the integrated pasmoid downloader in KDE yet? Last time I looked at Gnome 3 the extension feature was not obviuos to the user.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by disi View Post
            Best feature in Gnome3: https://extensions.gnome.org/
            Cheers to that

            Originally posted by ShadowBane View Post
            Do they have an integrated extension downloader like the integrated pasmoid downloader in KDE yet? Last time I looked at Gnome 3 the extension feature was not obviuos to the user.
            Unfortunately not, but if you know about the website, it's very easy and simple.
            I would think that they will make it more obvious to the user later on, but unfortunately the website is still in Beta... It just needs some time to mature.
            After all Gnome 3 is only a little over a year old, and the extension website about half a year.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
              in gnome 3 it isn't alt+F2. Either the super key (under Windoze systems this key is called "Windows key") or via the mouse movement to the right-hand top side. But it's right that another key combination works as well, but I don't use it.
              More accurately, on Gnome3, the Alt-F2 command gives you a prompt for running an executable, not dissimilar to the same prompt in Gnome2. Whereas the Windows key activates the mode for (among other things) selecting and opening an application by name, much quicker than using the mouse or keyboard to navigate the old Gnome 2 application menu.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                Gnome 3 -out of the box- is stupid beyond repair.

                Who on earth had the fuckin idea to make it require more clicks and navigation for a task than previous versions.
                When it comes to minimizing/maximizing windows and other things you would typically do on other desktop environments, don't. You're a lot better off just leaving windows maximized, and using CTRL+ALT+Up/Down to switch workspaces in order to make room on the screen.

                You can't use Gnome 3 the way you use Windows/KDE/XFCE/LXDE. If you can't get used to the way Gnome 3 was designed, which is understandable, you're much better off using something else. But don't get wrapped up in your own distortion reality field and categorize Gnome 3 as broken beyond repair. It certainly has flaws and some poor design decisions, but it was well thought out in the way it was designed.

                I'm not saying Gnome 3 is better, though I personally like it better than any other desktop environment out there, including Windows and OSX, but it was designed a certain way. You need to forget the way you managed windows and do things Gnome 3 was designed for you to do. Otherwise, yes, you will fucking hate it.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                  IMHO navigating through a KDE or xfce menu to find and open a application takes longer than pressing the super key, entering the first few letters of application name and return. And alternatively it's also very easy to click on a application in the favorite bar to open it.
                  It's strange, because that sounds exactly like how i use the menu in KDE. Open it, type a couple letters to find the app, press enter to start it. Or click the app from the favorites list that shows up by default...

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Gnome Shell has improved quite a bit over the past year. I really enjoyed using it on my brothers laptop running Fedora 17, especially with the extensions capability.

                    That being said, I am running Xfce as my main desktop on my main machine as it supports Zaphod Mode. I will be looking to see if Xfce 4.10 fixes a couple of the issues I have found with it though.

                    I am currently also typing this with LXDE. It has also really improved over the past year. It is now quite polished and stable.

                    Things are good.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Vax456 View Post
                      When it comes to minimizing/maximizing windows and other things you would typically do on other desktop environments, don't. You're a lot better off just leaving windows maximized, and using CTRL+ALT+Up/Down to switch workspaces in order to make room on the screen.
                      Luckily features like minimizing, maximizing, etc. can be reenabled and the rest can be changed via extensions and tweaks. I've always tweaked any other DE to my liking anyway, so it's no problem. I never liked any DE "out of the box".

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X