Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The State Of Gentoo FreeBSD: Gentoo Sans Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The State Of Gentoo FreeBSD: Gentoo Sans Linux

    Phoronix: The State Of Gentoo FreeBSD: Gentoo Sans Linux

    To some surprise, Gentoo FreeBSD -- the port of Gentoo running with the FreeBSD kernel rather than the Linux kernel -- is progressing...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEzMTg

  • #2
    Gentoo FreeBSD is just like Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, except that it's built around Gentoo rather than pairing the Debian GNU user-land with the non-Linux kernel.
    This is implies that Gentoo FreeBSD uses a GNU userland, which is incorrect. Gentoo FreeBSD uses a BSD userland. The quantity of GNU software present in Gentoo FreeBSD is comparable to the quantity of GNU software in FreeBSD itself.

    Gentoo itself is not tied to a particular userland and being sourced based makes it easy to give users a choice of userlands. We currently only offer one option per kernel (unless uclibc on Linux counts as a separate userland), but I would be thrilled to provide users with the ability to use a BSD userland on Linux. That likely will not happen because no one is working on that. The only thing close to that is an effort that I am making to port some FreeBSD components to Linux to improve ZFS support.
    Last edited by ryao; 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      As the article is apparently based on the forum post and the wiki, it might be a good idea to write what Gentoo FreeBSD is directly on top of the wiki page. Currently it only reads
      Originally posted by http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD
      Gentoo/FreeBSD is FreeBSD-based Gentoo system.
      And there exists a project for Gentoo Linux using Bionic libc. However it hasn't seen development in some time.

      Comment


      • #4
        Why not just port Portage to FreeBSD and pretend its Gentoo?

        Comment


        • #5
          Would be cool

          It would be pretty cool to be able to chose Linux or FreeBSD kernel at boot and then boot the same userland with only different kernel.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Why not just port Portage to FreeBSD and pretend its Gentoo?
            Gentoo FreeBSD is FreeBSD with the following changes:
            1. Portage replaces ports
            2. Buildworld is handled by portage
            3. Software in ./contrib is replaced with the Gentoo Linux versions
            4. The init system is replaced with OpenRC

            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            It would be pretty cool to be able to chose Linux or FreeBSD kernel at boot and then boot the same userland with only different kernel.
            You would need to modify the FreeBSD kernel to apply Linux emulation to its userland or develop FreeBSD emulation in Linux, but neither accomplishes a practical goal.

            Comment


            • #7
              this reminds me of the wine developers spending time on dragonflybsd support instead of actually making wine be able to run better. if open source developers made shoes they would think about different blinking lights instead of making them comfortable.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by garegin View Post
                this reminds me of the wine developers spending time on dragonflybsd support instead of actually making wine be able to run better. if open source developers made shoes they would think about different blinking lights instead of making them comfortable.
                this reminds me of user spending time complaining about the work of others instead of trying to grasp that their priorities do not have to be aligned with upstream projects.

                Comment


                • #9
                  i'm sorry, but do you actually think that gentoo needs more a mutant version of freebsd rather than fixing bugs in gentoo?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    i'm sorry, but do you actually think that gentoo needs more a mutant version of freebsd rather than fixing bugs in gentoo?
                    Do you actually think that anybody has the right to tell these developers what they should do? (particularly as their hobby)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by garegin View Post
                      this reminds me of the wine developers spending time on dragonflybsd support instead of actually making wine be able to run better. if open source developers made shoes they would think about different blinking lights instead of making them comfortable.
                      Porting programs tend to reveal obscure bugs, and force more robust engineering decisions to be made. Even it you never touch a device running dragonflyBSD, you may still benefit from the work.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by garegin View Post
                        i'm sorry, but do you actually think that gentoo needs more a mutant version of freebsd rather than fixing bugs in gentoo?
                        Do you think you know what Gentoo needs?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by archibald View Post
                          Do you actually think that anybody has the right to tell these developers what they should do? (particularly as their hobby)
                          ^this

                          Gentoo and Sabayon (IMHO) are far more stable than ARCH, installable/documented than the likes of Slackware, generally kludged together than Ubuntu+derivatives, wider range of Software than OpenSUSE, etc. I think I may have fallen in love with portage!! Gentoo and FreeBSD naturally align together as they have a similar system for detecting and maintaining packages and their dependencies...

                          I'll being installing Gentoo on my server next... Nuking and paving Ubuntu Server 12.04 - anyone for Plymouth boot scripts (on a Server??) and hangs at shutdown, etc., etc. = fail

                          Bob

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bobwya View Post
                            ^this

                            Gentoo and Sabayon (IMHO) are far more stable than ARCH, installable/documented than the likes of Slackware, generally kludged together than Ubuntu+derivatives, wider range of Software than OpenSUSE, etc. I think I may have fallen in love with portage!! Gentoo and FreeBSD naturally align together as they have a similar system for detecting and maintaining packages and their dependencies...

                            I'll being installing Gentoo on my server next... Nuking and paving Ubuntu Server 12.04 - anyone for Plymouth boot scripts (on a Server??) and hangs at shutdown, etc., etc. = fail

                            Bob
                            I am thinking about the same, my home server has currently FreeBSD 8.2 (for ~2 years) because of ZFS, on the other hand FreeBSD itself never let me down so far either... (except of in the beginning with one controller but that is fixed now).

                            freebsd-pf is in portage... named and dhcp should be there anyway. Use refined search on http://znurt.org/arch for 'amd64-fbsd' keywords.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X