Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magenta Pairs Linux With Darwin/BSD, Is Like iOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Magenta Pairs Linux With Darwin/BSD, Is Like iOS

    Phoronix: Magenta Pairs Linux With Darwin/BSD, Is Like iOS

    Project Magenta has come about recently as a new operating system project that uses the Linux kernel with a Darwin/BSD user-space. Additionally, the project claims full binary compatibility with Apple's iOS 5.0 platform...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExNzk

  • #2
    Cool project

    Comment


    • #3
      What would be much more interesting, would be an environment where you could run OSX applications on top of a Linux kernel, maybe chrooted beside a simultaneous GNU userland.

      In fact, I'm having a hard time understanding just WTF the purpose of this is....???
      And in fact, the developer of this project seems to share the confusion:
      Originally posted by Christina of Magenta
      This is a very weird project. You may ask, why am I doing this? The answer is: no fucking idea
      LMAO!
      Guess she's having fun, but don't expect much to come of it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        What would be much more interesting, would be an environment where you could run OSX applications on top of a Linux kernel, maybe chrooted beside a simultaneous GNU userland.
        That's pretty unlikely anytime soon I imagine you would hit some pretty big problems with other frameworks / software in MacOSX - i would think coreaudio and Quartz (among others) would cause potentially huge problems.

        Originally posted by droidhacker
        In fact, I'm having a hard time understanding just WTF the purpose of this is....???
        A learning process, maybe...?

        Originally posted by droidhacker
        LMAO!
        Yup, that was some funny shit, i also laughed pretty hard when i visited her site - i did appreciate her candor

        I don't think this project will grow into anything (by that i mean, in use by people). Other Apple/Darwin related open-source projects never really got off the ground, anyway. ie: things like OpenDarwin or PureDarwin.... But it's interesting, nonetheless.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          What would be much more interesting, would be an environment where you could run OSX applications on top of a Linux kernel, maybe chrooted beside a simultaneous GNU userland.
          That would be nice, even if it was just a compatibility layer like wine. What surprises me is how nobody has really attempted to do this, even if it were for free-BSD

          Comment


          • #6
            What is this good for?
            Why should I care about this?

            Will anything from this project be pushed upstreams?

            Comment


            • #7
              It would be nice if this was compatible enough to allow the creation of an emulator so that development of iOS apps on linux would be much more feasible.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by devius View Post
                It would be nice if this was compatible enough to allow the creation of an emulator so that development of iOS apps on linux would be much more feasible.
                There is a kickstarter for an iOS emulator called iEmu that uses QEMU.

                http://www.iemu.org/index.php/Main_Page

                I don't know a whole lot about it, i read about it not too long ago (you can google it, there should be some recent articles).

                Magenta isn't meant to be an emulator from what I have seen, it's substituting the IOS kernel with Linux, there aren't plans (from what her website says) to implement some of Apple's software stack (so it can't be used for iOS development) and it only runs on ARM hardware.

                Where as iEMU would allow you to run an iOS VM on your standard (x86/x86_64) Linux Desktop.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's being worked on by a single woman? Maybe Michael will need curtains after all

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    That would be nice, even if it was just a compatibility layer like wine. What surprises me is how nobody has really attempted to do this, even if it were for free-BSD
                    I've wondered about this as well.
                    Apple has really great docs, possibly as good as msft.
                    Add to this someone porting iokit to linux and then you have something of real interest (though I wonder if reimplementing cocoa would be legal).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by liam View Post
                      I've wondered about this as well.
                      Apple has really great docs, possibly as good as msft.
                      Add to this someone porting iokit to linux and then you have something of real interest (though I wonder if reimplementing cocoa would be legal).
                      Didn't the court rule in the Oracle vs. Google Java/Android case that APIs are not subject to copyright?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                        Didn't the court rule in the Oracle vs. Google Java/Android case that APIs are not subject to copyright?
                        No - it didn't go quite as far as that. It was to hopefully prevent the ruling being overturned. The ruling was case specific

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                          Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                          What would be much more interesting, would be an environment where you could run OSX applications on top of a Linux kernel, maybe chrooted beside a simultaneous GNU userland.
                          That would be nice, even if it was just a compatibility layer like wine. What surprises me is how nobody has really attempted to do this, even if it were for free-BSD
                          Doesn't such a thing exist already?

                          Just after a bit of research: http://gitorious.org/ringo

                          "Ringo is a runtime environment that runs Mac Applications on GNU/Linux"

                          I haven't tried that myself and I don't know if it works yet. But at least it's work-in-progress.
                          Last edited by M1kkko; 06-12-2012, 12:30 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                            Doesn't such a thing exist already?

                            Just after a bit of research: http://gitorious.org/ringo

                            "Ringo is a runtime environment that runs Mac Applications on GNU/Linux"

                            I haven't tried that myself and I don't know if it works yet. But at least it's work-in-progress.
                            Nice find.

                            Ringo actually looks much more interesting than Magenta, since it aims at running MacOSX applications on Linux. (x86/x86_46)

                            it says in the README a few things are working. You able to compile things like libmach.so, libCoreFoundation.so, etc.... I wonder how much work it would take to get it to a point, where you could run a native MacOSX application? (even one that doesn't heavily rely on Mac-specific APIs?).

                            it also doesn't look like there have been any commits in about a month.

                            I bookmarked the project anyway, just to keep an eye on it.

                            cheerz

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by schmidtbag;26783a4
                              That would be nice, even if it was just a compatibility layer like wine. What surprises me is how nobody has really attempted to do this, even if it were for free-BSD

                              If I understand it correctly one of the most important component for such a layer is provided in this project : mach compatibility and probably the dyld file format.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X