Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Open Connect Network: FreeBSD, Not Linux

Phoronix: Netflix Open Connect Network: FreeBSD, Not Linux

This week Netflix announced their Open Connect Network as their own open CDN (Content Distribution Network), but rather than using Linux as the base for this open-source platform, they decided to use FreeBSD...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTExNDM

In the good-old days it was news when a company chose Linux, now it's news when it doesn't choose Linux. That's progress.

Comment

software raid-1 for linux?

Hi, I would like to know out if I can add a 2nd SSD as a RAID-1 drive to an already working drive that is not in RAID-1 using something like gmirror?

Thanks!

Comment

Google uses Linux, who needs Netflix

Hey, Google and Youtube uses Linux and it has way more traffic, who gives a sh** about Netflix in this case

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
          Hey, Google and Youtube uses Linux and it has way more traffic, who gives a sh** about Netflix in this case
          Netfix are just damn fanboys. They mentioned IPv6 which Linux support first. They also want to have additional work:

As we find and fix stability and performance issues, we're aggressively pushing those changes into FreeBSD so that everyone can benefit from them, just as we benefit from the contributions of the rest of the FreeBSD ecosystem. We're proud to be a part of the community, and look forward to a long-term relationship with FreeBSD.
          You must be proud of being morons.

Comment

Funny fact - DRM-rotten all-proprietary Netflix is a BSD lover. Abuse-friendly OS at its best!

Comment

Good news. Linux is not getting abused by a company promoting DRM and vendor lock-in.

FreeBSD is. Oh the irony; fits with the license ;-)

Comment

As we find and fix stability and performance issues, we're aggressively pushing those changes into FreeBSD so that everyone can benefit from them
                Netflix has decided to open-source their hardware and software design to Open Connect Network.
                We welcome commentary and improvements, which will be shared with the community with the goal of a faster, less expensive Internet for all.
                crazycheese: How do the above fit with your description of them as "all-proprietary".

RealNC: Isn't this just "being used in accordance with the licence"? I don't see how that qualifies as abuse.

kraftman: Do you honestly believe that they evaluated Linux and FreeBSD and said "well, FreeBSD will require more work, but let's go for it anyway". As irritating as their Silverlight-based service is, I imagine they're bright enough to find the best operating system to meet their needs - it's not as though they're unaware of Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by archibald View Post
                  kraftman: Do you honestly believe that they evaluated Linux and FreeBSD and said "well, FreeBSD will require more work, but let's go for it anyway". As irritating as their Silverlight-based service is, I imagine they're bright enough to find the best operating system to meet their needs - it's not as though they're unaware of Linux.
                  I don't believe they evaluated Linux. They sound like old FreeBSD friends and they were probably using it all the time. Furthermore, their announcement sounds very strange (like attack on Linux) and makes impression they prefer to support Linux competition. While they're using MS tech like Silverlight and FreeBSD is very MS friendly I wouldn't be surprised if MS has something to do with this.

Comment

Why is this news getting negative responses? What's wrong with using FreeBSD, why do so many seem to dislike it?

Although I use neither Netflix nor FreeBSD myself, I think this is good news. It's always nice to see a company actually 'getting' the open source model and realising the importance of working as a community and contributing their changes upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
                      Why is this news getting negative responses? What's wrong with using FreeBSD, why do so many seem to dislike it?

Although I use neither Netflix nor FreeBSD myself, I think this is good news. It's always nice to see a company actually 'getting' the open source model and realising the importance of working as a community and contributing their changes upstream.
                      It's not wrong, but it's a political decision in this case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix#Linux_support

Comment

Yay, FreeBSD...

OK, I'm installing FreeBSD now so I can FINALLY enjoy mah Netflix!!!111elevenOne

Oh, wait...

Comment

It's not like FreeBSD doesn't work, it probably does but let's be honest here. They didn't choose FreeBSD based on technical merit alone, they chose it because of the license which allows them to do whatever the heck they want. Linux is far more mature and I'm sure would have required less work but companies like Netflix like to keep their proprietary stuff safe which the BSD license guarantees.
                          Anyway I'm still going to use Linux and that famous bay , I hear it has free, no DRM movies ...
                          Competition in general though is not bad so bring it on FreeBSD ... so far compared to Linux I'm not impressed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
                            They didn't choose FreeBSD based on technical merit alone, they chose it because of the license which allows them to do whatever the heck they want. Linux is far more mature and I'm sure would have required less work but companies like Netflix like to keep their proprietary stuff safe which the BSD license guarantees.
                            That seems like a reasonably fair assessment.

Competition in general though is not bad so bring it on FreeBSD ... so far compared to Linux I'm not impressed at all.
                            My only complaints with FreeBSD are that it doesn't have a driver for my sound card (CMI8788 chipset) and that the graphics drivers are very outdated (I can't use r600g). Skype and Steam would be nice, but I can't blame the lack of those on the FreeBSD devs :-) With respect to these complaints:
                            • There is a work-in-progress driver for the CMI8788 chipset, so that will get fixed.
                            • The KMS patches from Konstantin Belousov have been committed to the FreeBSD-HEAD.
                            • There's still work to be done on Radeon KMS (Konstantin's updates were for Intel cards) and then there's TTM, but he said me may work on these after the Intel patches are stable.

I'm waiting patiently until these are done - the sound card driver is the killer, but the r600c driver is good enough for me to cope with.

Comment

It's not like FreeBSD doesn't work, it probably does but let's be honest here. They didn't choose FreeBSD based on technical merit alone, they chose it because of the license which allows them to do whatever the heck they want. Linux is far more mature and I'm sure would have required less work but companies like Netflix like to keep their proprietary stuff safe which the BSD license guarantees.
                              GPL covers distribution, not usage: Netflix could take the kernel, modify it at will and use it for its CDN without sharing a single line of code as long as they don't redistribute it. They could even contribute back improvements where appropriate while keeping the "secret" bits to themself.

Comment

Working...
                              X