Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Should You Use FreeBSD? Here's Some Reasons

Phoronix: Why Should You Use FreeBSD? Here's Some Reasons

FreeBSD is wondering why are you using FreeBSD...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Re

Some things are just plain lies or uninformed people...
    - Network performance thingy was Long long time ago, now, if to believe in Phoronix benchmarks Linux is faster...
    - Linux has more kick-ass features and server-focused things... There is a reason why 92% of super computers use Linux instead of the one this people recommend.
    - The *BSD community is known to be Very bad, just take a look at their forums guys... They send you in places if you don't know something and all this kind of harsh things...

1 Thing is true though, Linux is very fragmented, work going into deb, rpm and all kind of things while they could use an universal package and work together on improving it... And not only the packaging...

Comment

This whole article was posted to get a flame war going on these forums - Don't feel the Larabel

Comment

FreeBSD...

I like FreeBSD and the forums are very helpful, however:
        1. recent hardware not supported (had some trouble with a SATA controller which made the system hang after ~2 weeks, it was then patched into 8.2 stable and runs fine now)
        2. bitching about Linux (even in the forums). But I give the benefit that this happens vice versa Reason? No idea...
        3. ports are cool! I like the idea to seperate the OS from the ports, however I run more apps and daemons out of /usr/local than / because most services do not come out of the box like in Linux
        4. again, ports are cool! that is why I use Gentoo as desktop OS with the benefit to have proper hardware support for graphiccards etc.
        5. little customization in the main OS and if you do it anyway (like remove YP via mk.conf), it might break the boot process. OK, you can figure out to fix it.
        6. http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 << very good

Comment

- Solaris features without being beholden to Oracle.
          - The FreeBSD community focuses more on tech than on licensing and political activism like a certain freeware Unix "alike"
          - The ports system does a far better job of balancing tracking recent software releases and stability than other systems of the same sort (most typically exemplified by certain popular Unix "alikes")
          - Stability
          - Well-structured OS (i.e. filesystem, kernel and its config, etc)
          - The ports system
          - FreeBSD known for its ability to handle heavy network traffic with high performance and rock solid reliability
          - FreeBSD is the system of choice for high performance network
          Up until this point, these are technical merits and what and advocate should say, but...

- FreeBSD is NOT Linux = FreeBSD is stable, reliable, simple (there are no automated brainfucks... like udev, hal and dbus in base system)
          Just what the heck is this? Troll feeding season? This is exactly why no one will take you seriously. "Why do you like X? Because it's not Y which is a brain/cluster-fuck". The people hacking away at the FreeBSD project put a lot of passion into their work. You want to advocate their hard work? Do it like a pro not like a teenage hipster.

Comment

I've never read so much BULLSHIT in one single post.

Comment

The FreeBSD community focuses more on tech than on licensing and political activism like a certain freeware Unix "alike"
              Not trying to be rude, but I am still laughing at the irony... who cares more about license issues?

Comment

Originally posted by who_me View Post
                Just what the heck is this? Troll feeding season? This is exactly why no one will take you seriously. "Why do you like X? Because it's not Y which is a brain/cluster-fuck". The people hacking away at the FreeBSD project put a lot of passion into their work. You want to advocate their hard work? Do it like a pro not like a teenage hipster.
                Indeed!

That's one of the reasons of why I won't ever use FreeBSD at all. They believe to be the only and true Open Source UNIX, when they need to put stuff like this in a desesperate move to gain attention (even by trolling, in an attention whore way).

Also, I don't see too many advantages compared to other UNIXes like they try to show.

About the license, it's OK but they are crying GPL is the most successful license and try to erase all of it from their codebase. They are so obsessed with it that they waste too much useful energies on the effort.

About differencies between different Linux flavours, well that's also a Microsoft argument too. But despite they believing to be "teh pure UNIX!", they got fragmented by rising forks. One of the most recent and popular ones is DragonFly BSD, that is designed to offer many advantages over the rest (that are now mostly better in commercial UNIXes, like special features found in clusters and such).

Linux can be customized and changed in many ways, that's the main advantage. You could change the userland in all ways and still have a functioning system if you do things in a proper way. And despite of that, the degree of compatibility is still quite high between all flavours.

I would like to use *BSD if being less elitism and hate to other ideas, like Free Source. They are obsessed to much with hating GPL and looking at themselves, that's not good.

They say to be pure, powerful, special and better. But why? So why BSD stills keep forking instead of merging? Too much ego?
                Last edited by timofonic; 31 May 2012, 12:00 PM.

Comment

- The FreeBSD community focuses more on tech than on licensing and political activism like a certain freeware Unix "alike"
                  Right ,so thats why they are changing GCC to currently underperforming LLVM

Comment

I was always under the impression that BSDs didn't have that much fragmentation because there were not enough people to fragment it to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                    X