Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenBSD 5.1 Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by LightBit View Post
    I mean It's not logical, but forget about it.
    I meant it's logical when the mode 2 is set.

    This is what Microsoft did.
    If everyone would speak it's own language, so they wouldn't understand each other, they would be smarter?
    Yes and thanks to this MS was very strong in many areas. The difference is there are people who care about being compatible with others and there are people who don't. I support interoperability in things like web, but I don't care when comes to other things. Those who are stronger dictate rules.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      The size of the library is just one part. There are also other possibilities like header files in ELF library or GCC optimizations. You probably didn't check with the same GCC version.

      http://www.techpulp.com/blog/tag/tri...ux-elf-binary/
      As I said everything was "strip -s". Optimisations are -O2 on Arch Linux and I think it's the same on Ubuntu where I checked eglibc. Arch Linux has a bit newer GCC. Header files are only needed when compiling. Both libraries where the same version 2.15.
      eglibc is glibc with few patches, it can't be so smaller.
      Last edited by LightBit; 05-07-2012, 10:10 AM.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Yes and thanks to this MS was very strong in many areas.
        Particularly in a monopoly.


        Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        The difference is there are people who care about being compatible with others and there are people who don't. I support interoperability in things like web, but I don't care when comes to other things. Those who are stronger dictate rules.
        So you don't care if your application is portable or not?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LightBit View Post
          Particularly in a monopoly.



          So you don't care if your application is portable or not?
          All he cares about is that linux is #1, he is actually worse than a mac fanboy its really sad to read.
          This 'community' at phoronix is very close minded, they just want to replace MS's monopoly with
          one of linux.

          They are to cheap to buy windows or a decent pc that can handle windows 7, so they roll linux.
          They then login to phoronix to troll any topic that is not about linux, spewing great comments about
          how amazing KMS and udev is (lol).
          Last edited by soupbowl; 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by LightBit View Post
            As I said everything was "strip -s". Optimisations are -O2 on Arch Linux and I think it's the same on Ubuntu where I checked eglibc. Arch Linux has a bit newer GCC. Header files are only needed when compiling. Both libraries where the same version 2.15.
            eglibc is glibc with few patches, it can't be so smaller.
            But you have probably much older GCC in OpenBSD, so it will be good to check the same version. Also, you may find answers here:

            http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/...ny/teensy.html
            http://cs.mipt.ru/docs/comp/eng/os/l...f-howto-1.html

            Comment


            • Originally posted by LightBit View Post
              So you don't care if your application is portable or not?
              I don't care at all. However, most applications are portable between Linux and BSD.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by soupbowl View Post
                All he cares about is that linux is #1, he is actually worse than a mac fanboy its really sad to read.
                This 'community' at phoronix is very close minded, they just want to replace MS's monopoly with
                one of linux.
                A MS fanboy has spoken. That's true when comes to first words in your sentence, but you forgot to say Windows has to die. Only fools want Windows to remain #1.

                They are to cheap to buy windows or a decent pc that can handle windows 7, so they roll linux.
                They then login to phoronix to troll any topic that is not about linux, spewing great comments about
                how amazing KMS and udev is (lol).
                I won't ever buy Windows 7, that's for sure. My PC can handle it, but I can't. It seems to be better than XP in some things, but coming back from Linux to Windows is like selling a house and going to live under the bridge. You're not safe with it. Let's change topic and comment how great antivirus software I discovered yesterday. This is what Windows fanboys like talking about. I forgot to add is broken crap and paying for crap is stupid (except when you're a gamer).
                Last edited by kraftman; 05-07-2012, 04:05 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                  They're not *much* old and he's doing an apples to oranges comparison. Doesn't count.
                  *
                  Not much old, KDE 3.5.10, which was released in August 2008. Nearly 4 years, but no, is not old.

                  They don't even pickup Trinity which offers a fixed version of 3.5.x series (currently 3.5.13).
                  Gnome is not that old, but have been unsupported for a while too (more than a year).

                  One of the things I learned in school about security is to keep your software up to date. And surely they don't.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                    I did know Alpine Linux, but I didn't know it can run XFCE, Firefox and other desktop required bloat. I will try it.

                    I want to use same OS for server and desktop.
                    All web browsers are bloated, because web standards are bloated. And I hope wayland won't be bloated, but maybe i'm to optimistic.
                    I actually don't need acceleration for my desktop use.
                    You can try Arch. The only mayor shortcoming it had was the lack of package signing, but not anymore. While some people might argue about the occasional breakage rolling can bring, installing a server only once is priceless.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      But you have probably much older GCC in OpenBSD, so it will be good to check the same version. Also, you may find answers here:

                      http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/...ny/teensy.html
                      http://cs.mipt.ru/docs/comp/eng/os/l...f-howto-1.html
                      I don't think older GCC will make it smaller. OpenBSD is not heavily optimised.

                      Yes, I have found the answer: don't use libc and code in assembler!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                        You can try Arch. The only mayor shortcoming it had was the lack of package signing, but not anymore. While some people might argue about the occasional breakage rolling can bring, installing a server only once is priceless.
                        I'm already using it. I don't think it is the best solution for server. It's rolling release is too fast.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by darkcoder View Post
                          *
                          Not much old, KDE 3.5.10, which was released in August 2008. Nearly 4 years, but no, is not old.

                          They don't even pickup Trinity which offers a fixed version of 3.5.x series (currently 3.5.13).
                          Gnome is not that old, but have been unsupported for a while too (more than a year).

                          One of the things I learned in school about security is to keep your software up to date. And surely they don't.
                          Most OpenBSD users use other DE's. Also DE doesn't pose very high security threat.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                            I don't think older GCC will make it smaller. OpenBSD is not heavily optimised.

                            Yes, I have found the answer: don't use libc and code in assembler!
                            Don't use glibc may be the answer for you. If you care that much why don't you ask at glibc mailing list or irc?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by LightBit View Post
                              I'm already using it. I don't think it is the best solution for server. It's rolling release is too fast.
                              You'll probably be more comfortable with Debian, RHEL or Ubuntu, because they're not rolling releases and you don't have to pay as much attention when you upgrade system. In rolling releases configuration may change. I like Arch as much as Ubuntu, but I was just using it on desktop.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                                Don't use glibc may be the answer for you. If you care that much why don't you ask at glibc mailing list or irc?
                                I didn't ask, glibc is bloated.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X