Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 9.0 Is Now Planned For November

Phoronix: FreeBSD 9.0 Is Now Planned For November

After being challenged by some delays, FreeBSD 9.0 is now planned for an official release in November...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTk4Ng

FreeBSD is released when its ready, it has always been that way, schedules always slipped away in time, they are a lot too much optimistic, but as I said, developers do not focus too much on the the 'announced release dates' and focus on making it reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by vermaden View Post
      FreeBSD is released when its ready, it has always been that way, schedules always slipped away in time, they are a lot too much optimistic, but as I said, developers do not focus too much on the the 'announced release dates' and focus on making it reliable.
      I hope 8.2-stable will be long time supported. It just works perfect at the moment and I dare to upgrade

p.s. after all it's just a different number, most of the new stuff is backported to older version. Especially hardware support?

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
        I hope 8.2-stable will be long time supported. It just works perfect at the moment and I dare to upgrade
        I also currently stick to 8.2-stable, indeed works like a charm.

Originally posted by disi View Post
        p.s. after all it's just a different number, most of the new stuff is backported to older version. Especially hardware support?
        Its happening already, even for 7-STABLE, check this for commits: http://freshbsd.org/search?project=freebsd

Hint: MFC means Merged From Current, and these features are 'backported' to various FreeBSD trees from HEAD, to RELENG_9, RELENG_8 and RELENG_7 currently.

It also depends what features are added to HEAD, KMS/GEM is quite a big change and there is a chance that it will not be backported to 8.x and lower, but at the same time ZFS v28 had been backported to 8.2-STABLE some time ago, so Yes, features and fixes are backported to 'older' trees.

Comment

Working...
        X