Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD: A Faster Platform For Linux Gaming Than Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • FreeBSD: A Faster Platform For Linux Gaming Than Linux?

    Phoronix: FreeBSD: A Faster Platform For Linux Gaming Than Linux?

    FreeBSD provides a Linux binary compatibility layer that allows 32-bit Linux binaries to be natively executed on this BSD operating system. Linux binary compatibility on FreeBSD allows Linux-only applications to be executed in a near seamless manner on this alternative platform, even for games. New tests have revealed that the modern FreeBSD operating system (via PC-BSD 8.2) can actually outperform Linux when it comes to running OpenGL Linux game binaries.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16382

  • #2
    Michael, did you disable Unity/Compiz before starting the games? It is widely known that Unity/Compiz affects 3D-performance when running OpenGL-based games.

    Comment


    • #3
      So many different factors motherboard, memory, audio, desktop, display server, compiler, file system ...

      Comment


      • #4
        Heh unfortunately I don't see many gamers jumping on this, looking by how much work is required to get that setup and running.

        Comment


        • #5
          Config

          You may want to try a kernel configured for the lowest possible latency. I noticed that improved doom3 performace quite a bit. For doom3 you needed some ingame configs aswell. It ran quite amazingly in the end.

          My config was something like this - http://www.paradoxuncreated.com/tmp/.config39

          I can`t say for certain that it will improve average FPS though, but it definately improved smoothness, from stock ubuntu kernel.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
            So many different factors motherboard, memory, audio, desktop, display server, compiler, file system ...
            cpu: SAME
            ram: 1GB less then Linux on i386, so Linux should be faster here
            motherboard/chipset: SAME (MS-7642)
            display driver: SAME VERSION
            graphics card: SAME
            compiler: NEWER on Linux, so Linux should be faster here
            xorg sever: NEWER on Linux, so Linux should be faster here
            fs: EXT4 is nowhere near ZFS features, and is probably more 'heavy' then EXT4, so Linux should be faster here

            KDE vs. UNITY: both should not be used during that test, it should be plain twm or openbox with all needles services disabled on both systems.

            Originally posted by Vadi View Post
            Heh unfortunately I don't see many gamers jumping on this, looking by how much work is required to get that setup and running.
            If you would want to setup that from FreeBSD, it would be quite more work then with Ubuntu, but PC-BSD has graphical installer as Ubuntu and the amount of work needed to install con configure Ubuntu is the same as the amount of work needed to setup PC-BSD.

            Comment


            • #7
              The combination Ubuntu+Nvidia sucks. I don't know why but for some reason sucks!
              Try the benchmarks in a non Ubuntu based distro, like Fedora and you'll be surpised.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by glasen View Post
                Michael, did you disable Unity/Compiz before starting the games? It is widely known that Unity/Compiz affects 3D-performance when running OpenGL-based games.
                +1. They should both be running extremely lightweight WMs, like Fluxbox or twm. But still cudos to FreeBSD for this, it's quite awesome.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Phoronix: FreeBSD: A Faster Platform For Linux Gaming Than Linux?

                  FreeBSD provides a Linux binary compatibility layer that allows 32-bit Linux binaries to be natively executed on this BSD operating system. Linux binary compatibility on FreeBSD allows Linux-only applications to be executed in a near seamless manner on this alternative platform, even for games. New tests have revealed that the modern FreeBSD operating system (via PC-BSD 8.2) can actually outperform Linux when it comes to running OpenGL Linux game binaries.

                  http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=16382
                  Here is a possible explanation:

                  http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/201...rformance.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Do most users switch to a 'lighter' DM when playing games? Equally do most users switch off compositing before running a game (yes I know Kwin can do that automatically)

                    The only thing I don't like about this article is the title it really should be "PC-BSD: A Faster Platform for Linux Gaming than Ubuntu"

                    Everything else is using the default settings (plus the Nvidia blob) to see how fast games run

                    You don't get more fairer than that really

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You're not only comparing Linux vs FreeBSD. But also Unity vs KDE. And there's also some hardware differences. And then you come to the conclusion that the performance differences are due to the OS used?

                      Ridiculous!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                        Do most users switch to a 'lighter' DM when playing games? Equally do most users switch off compositing before running a game (yes I know Kwin can do that automatically)

                        The only thing I don't like about this article is the title it really should be "PC-BSD: A Faster Platform for Linux Gaming than Ubuntu"

                        Everything else is using the default settings (plus the Nvidia blob) to see how fast games run

                        You don't get more fairer than that really
                        I just want to point out that PC-BSD ships with KDE.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                          You're not only comparing Linux vs FreeBSD. But also Unity vs KDE. And there's also some hardware differences. And then you come to the conclusion that the performance differences are due to the OS used?

                          Ridiculous!
                          Linux versus Mac OS X comparisons compare not only Linux and Mac OS X, but whatever desktop environment Linux uses with the Mac OS X desktop environment. It is fair for a Ubuntu versus PC-BSD comparison. As for Linux versus FreeBSD, it would probably be better to use KDE on both systems.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            So.. FreeBSD is faster in a small set of circumstances (nVidia GPU with closed drivers), but doesn't run most of the games in others (ATI, OS drivers). I'm not sure that counts as a win for FreeBSD.

                            Seriously, if I wanted a tainted kernel with a KDE workspace and great gaming performance, I'd install windows. Even works with ATIs closed drivers!


                            Still, these numbers are interesting - if there's a bottleneck in linux, it needs to be found and eliminated. If only the numbers were useful in determining that.
                            As others have mentioned, adding another distribution would be important to determine whether FreeBSD is faster than "Linux" or just faster than "Ubuntu". The article isn't too clear about possible differences due to different window managers, which always raises a red flag. It's difficult to trust the data when such issues aren't documented.


                            But, of course, the point of the headline is to generate clicks and ad-revenue, not to deliver useful numbers or research the actual causes for the difference. Why am I expecting more?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I would like to see FreeBSD against Gentoo Linux, which I assume that should be one of the best performance Linux distribution.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X