Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian GNU/kFreeBSD Becomes More Interesting

Phoronix: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD Becomes More Interesting

Since last year we have been talking about Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, one of the official ports for Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" that will bring a 32-bit and 64-bit FreeBSD kernel as an option to using the Linux kernel. Debain GNU/kFreeBSD still has the Debian user-land complete with its massive package repository and apt-get support, but the FreeBSD kernel is running underneath instead of Linux. Debian GNU/kFreeBSD has matured a lot over the past year and most recently it has switched to using the FreeBSD 8.1 kernel by default and also now supports ZFS file-systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully PTS gets fixed to support Debian again...

Comment

Kano, I just ran PTS 2.8 on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD and Debian GNU/Linux yesterday without any problems.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Hopefully PTS gets fixed to support Debian again...
        What do you mean? PTS here works here without problem. Only needed to manually compile php-gtk, which is very easy actually.

As of Debian GNU/kFreeBSD, i am testing it one week now (few bugs reported), but it works expectionably stable. Most programs works correctly, and it can be used. ZFS also works, as described, just install zfsutils which is now in Debian repository.

Comment

There is debian installer with ZFS support.
          Long time no see… Not much hacking in the last few months. Not much ranting either (some of you I’m sure will appreciate ;-). Anyway, I recently grew excited to learn that ZFS is coming…
          RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

@Michael

Some tests did not get a result run when i tested it. You meant something which php needs to support with newer versions of PTS.

Comment

Working...
            X