Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-BSD 8.0 Released For A Polished, Friendlier FreeBSD Desktop

Phoronix: PC-BSD 8.0 Released For A Polished, Friendlier FreeBSD Desktop

FreeBSD 8.0 was released in November with a number of improvements and various performance enhancements as our FreeBSD benchmarks have shown, but if the text-based installation process has put you off from installing this popular BSD distribution or other usability challenges, there's no reason to fear any longer. The PC-BSD project has finally come out with their stable PC-BSD 8.0 release that is derived from FreeBSD 8.0 but with much desktop-oriented love and its friendlier installer and package management system.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14611

http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...pcbsd_8_08_lrg

Most ugliest Dolphin screenshot EVER.

Comment

800.600 virtual machine

*shrug*

Comment

The desktop icons' text is not exactly readable, black text on black?

Comment

How did they manage to make Dolphin look like something from Gnome!

Comment

I'm not exactly sure why anyone would want to run a *BSD on his desktop? Linux has more Hardware and Software support, and still has all the advantages of a *NIX OS.
            Anyway, if I _had_ to use a BSD, it would probably be this one. KDE is a huge plus, even if it's as butt-ugly as this one.
            BTW on the PC-BSD's site it says that 3D-acceleration is only supported on Intel and nVidia GPUs. I thought radeon had been ported to FreeBSD as well, so why don't they support ATi-cards?

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              http://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id...pcbsd_8_08_lrg

Actually I like it

Well, not the big symbols as I prefere some sort of list view but hey -- it looks polished.

Comment

Shrink icons to 66percent. I do it at 1600x900. No way I'd not shrink 1024x768 or 800x600 down to 50 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Yes. That is quite an accomplishment.

Comment

I thought radeon had been ported to FreeBSD as well, so why don't they support ATi-cards?
                    radeon,yes. drm, not so much. Does anyone know how far they are?

Comment

My god, I think that must be the ugliest KDE screenshot of all time. Including screenshots of KDE 1.0. Gratz!

Does PC-BSD actually have, like, any software in its native package format these days?

It's all very well to have an easy-to-use installer for BSD, but not if the only programs you can easily install are Rhythmbox and Abiword... and Ports just ain't that easy, especially when PC-BSD doesn't ship with anything in its Ports tree or tell you how to populate it.

Comment

Working...
                      X