Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 8.0 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    It will be nice to see the final releases comparison.
    Oh yes, especially between Linux vs MacOSX. Soon we will have the big comparison of OSes though

    Comment


    • #17
      This so called benchmark is useless.


      Why?


      The BSD release has all sorts of debugging turned on. It significantly reduces performance.

      Thus, this benchmark is invalid. Doesn't show anything even remotely related to reality.

      Do it again, and do it right.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by clau View Post
        You only proved that you are ignorant vis-a-vis FreeBSD and managed to mislead readers with the results.
        Well, Phoronix is a Linux centric site. What did you expect?

        Also this is a benchmark - not a test nor a real life experience.

        Though I prefer Linux (mainly due to GNU user land), I have a deep respect for the stability of *BSD.

        Also, on the occasions when I had to work with FreeBSD, I personally never experience any huge performance problems on FreeBSD. It is mostly slower than Linux, but I pretty much never seen a case when FreeBSD would DoS itself. Linux in past did that to itself quite often: focus of development is way too often on performance rather than correctness and stability. (That's why too programs under Linux never terminate with "memory allocation error" - they are simply killed by kernel. It's faster to kill application asking for more memory than to return properly an error code to it.)

        Disk I/O is a classical example of BSD v. Linux difference of stability v. performance: BSD attempts to always write meta-data before writing file data, while Linux would happily keep dirty meta-data in cache. It's faster that way, but you can never be sure what happens to your files on crash. In BSD, when program opened, wrote and closed file, after following immediately power outage file would be highly likely intact. In Linux - YMMV. Most of the time file would be missing. (N.B. This is a different issue from recent Ext4 fiasco.) That's why in Linux I/O is so fast - but you better have a UPS under your table.

        I still do not like BSD user land, but bashing BSD performance IMO is simply stupid.

        Comment


        • #19
          I just hope this finally shuts up the 'freebsd is faster than linux' crowd. They told that lie until Felix von Leitner tested the BSDs againat 2.6.0 - and they got ass raped. Whine, whine, not fair they complained. True - since Felix did everything in their favour.

          But shortly afterwards the idiotic stuff started again....

          and again....

          and again...

          no matter that almost all tests show that linux is superior....

          Comment


          • #20
            Was FreeBSD debuging disabled?

            Pre-releases of FreeBSD ship with lots of compiled in debugging code that negatively impacts performance. If it was not disabled, the benchmark is
            completely invalid.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by energyman View Post
              I just hope this finally shuts up the 'freebsd is faster than linux' crowd. They told that lie until Felix von Leitner tested the BSDs againat 2.6.0 - and they got ass raped. Whine, whine, not fair they complained. True - since Felix did everything in their favour.

              But shortly afterwards the idiotic stuff started again....

              and again....

              and again...

              no matter that almost all tests show that linux is superior....
              What's wrong with you? The test is flawed.

              Comment


              • #22
                I love it.

                Quality pamperment!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Dummy00001 View Post
                  Well, Phoronix is a Linux centric site. What did you expect?

                  Also this is a benchmark - not a test nor a real life experience.
                  Well, that's no excuse. The benchmark is still completely useless. I *do* expect of them to do another run after both OSes are released.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by clau View Post
                    Well, that's no excuse. The benchmark is still completely useless. I *do* expect of them to do another run after both OSes are released.
                    As has been said, such will be done for the large OS comparison.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      no matter that almost all tests show that linux is superior....
                      This particular benchmark is about as useless as pitting to sports cars together but having one pulling a truck of computer equipment behind it plugged in to every diagnostic port on it.

                      It doesn't show FreeBSD is slower than Linux, all it is is utterly pointless. RCs of most OSs (Ubuntu is a bit of an exception here rather than the norm) have so many debug flags and stuff set which use so much CPU time that it's stupid to benchmark it.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by fackamato View Post
                        What's wrong with you? The test is flawed.
                        why? FreeBSD has debug on?

                        AFAIK Ubuntu prerelase too. So the test is valid.

                        But that does not change the fact that FreeBSD looses even when only comparing releases. So either way, FreeBSD looses.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Garp View Post
                          This particular benchmark is about as useless as pitting to sports cars together but having one pulling a truck of computer equipment behind it plugged in to every diagnostic port on it.

                          It doesn't show FreeBSD is slower than Linux, all it is is utterly pointless. RCs of most OSs (Ubuntu is a bit of an exception here rather than the norm) have so many debug flags and stuff set which use so much CPU time that it's stupid to benchmark it.
                          http://bulk.fefe.de/lk2006/bench.html

                          http://bulk.fefe.de/lk2006/

                          yeah, FreeBSD the truck. More like, FreeBSD the broken bicycle.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I don't think FreeBSD should be compared with Ubuntu. It's not fair for Linux since Ubuntu is a desktop distro, not the first choice for servers and workstations.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by energyman View Post
                              http://bulk.fefe.de/lk2006/bench.html

                              http://bulk.fefe.de/lk2006/

                              yeah, FreeBSD the truck. More like, FreeBSD the broken bicycle.
                              Uhm, that's 2006, and FreeBSD 6.x. You clearly don't know much about FreeBSD.
                              FreeBSD went through huge changes in the design in 5.x, which made it actually slower than 4.x, AFAIR. But, since then it was improved constantly, with each release.

                              This is a more recent benchmark, targeted on the SMP code:
                              http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/dfly.html

                              It is mostly a benchmark of FreeBSD versions and DragonflyBSD, but Linux kernels were used too. Now, that particular Linux kernel is rather old, so I expect some changes in newer releases, but still I hope it will shut you up for now.

                              I honestly expect better results from 8.0 RELEASE, compared to 7.2 RELEASE, knowing how careful the guys from FreeBSD are with the releases.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                As has been said, such will be done for the large OS comparison.
                                I'm looking forward to it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X