X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benchmark

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: A Big Operating System Benchmark Comparison

Next month at Phoronix we intend to conduct a large benchmarking comparison of a few different operating systems. Right now we are looking at Ubuntu, Mac OS X (we will be waiting for 10.6 "Snow Leopard"), NetBSD, PC-BSD, OpenSolaris, and FreeBSD...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzQ1Nw
    I don't understand why the 'buntus always seem to make the lists. There are better distros out there, imo, such as Pclinux, Mandrive, and Simplymepis. The 'buntus always seem to leave something to be desired, at least for me.

Can you include a larger variety on Linux dstros for comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      That would be illegal and put Micheal in the range of Apple's Ninja lawyers.
      he also can ignor this smellyapplecrappeaceofmacosshit...

i vote vor ignor macos!

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        32 bit is faster when the code has been hand optimized with asm. But usually the speed difference is not that important. More import is that you can playback fullscreen flash videos with opengl accelleration with nvidia or fglrx binary driver and on 64 bit you can not. On 64 bit that does not look good at all, only when you dl h264 flash movies and play em with mplayer using xv/vdpau (or opengl for fglrx).
        o yes adobe flash is your argument again 64bit...

well only becourse Adobe is bad .... but this fakt does not make 64bit linux bad!

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
          so don't use debian - or do a source install, either way, saying the processor is completely worthless for everyone because one distro doesn't take full advantage of it is even worse then your last arguement.

and no - it actually costs them more to make 64bit chips. more transistors required and such. the liscence fee is only part of that expense, not that that is really relevant. bottom line - it was cheaper, more energy efficient, and those were the important properties needed for the intended platform - why is that too hard to grasp?
          well yes it will be cheaper and more energy efficient if the 32bit part and the 16 bit part will drop out of the chip!

this nativ support for 32bit make the chip worst!

Comment

no - it doesn't make the system bad, but it is an important enough application to where many people would care more about that then a small performance boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              he also can ignor this smellyapplecrappeaceofmacosshit...

i vote vor ignor macos!
              I vote to ignore your incoherent uninformed ramblings that are out of touch with reality.

Comment

We need to see gentoo represented

I also think we need to see gentoo represented in this benchmark. You can argue that there is no such thing as a stock gentoo - but why not just make a basic install and some sane USE and CFLAGS and specify these in the benchmark alongside all the other distro specifications. It would be very interesting to see what difference gcc flags make.

gentoo mentioned in this forum:
                http://www.phoronix.com/forums/searc...archid=1315146

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  I vote to ignore your incoherent uninformed ramblings that are out of touch with reality.
                  i second that notion

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                    i second that notion
                    Heh, I get too many flashbacks to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBVmfIUR1DA reading his posts.

Comment

Originally posted by woodchucker53 View Post
                      I don't understand why the 'buntus always seem to make the lists. There are better distros out there, imo, such as Pclinux, Mandrive, and Simplymepis. The 'buntus always seem to leave something to be desired, at least for me.

Can you include a larger variety on Linux dstros for comparison?
                      its a simple question of userbase - i agree, i think pclinuxos, simplymepis and others pound ubuntu into the dust as good begginning distro's.... but ubuntu has the press so ubuntu is what people use, so ubuntu is what gets tested.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrenalineJunky View Post
                        its a simple question of userbase - i agree, i think pclinuxos, simplymepis and others pound ubuntu into the dust as good begginning distro's.... but ubuntu has the press so ubuntu is what people use, so ubuntu is what gets tested.
                        thats personal preference. I'll take ubuntu over PClinuxos anyday so the argument saying its grind doesnt have any backing. Ubuntu is not the most used distro for being crap, its prolly not for the power user but for the vast majority of PC users it tailors very very well. You get views by being very good or being very bad, not by getting views.

Comment

key words being "i think"

obviously everyone has thier own opinions - though i do think users would be alot more evenly spread out of the press hadn't latched on to ubuntu the way it had.

then again, there may be quite a few less people using linux as well.

Comment

Gentoo would be indeed nice though it needs a lot of setup before. Not sure of liveCDs in Gentoo cause they run from CD and they are less likely to find. Normal Gentoo media is just the minimum install with no X and stuff.
                            Maybe one of these Gentoo-derivates would be an option.
                            Generally there should not just be Ubuntu all the time.

Comment

Wanna see Fedora and Opensuse.

Comment

what about vector linux? im not saying it because I use it but the reasons I use it are why it might be worth benching. it is not a bleeding edge distro by any means but its light on its feet and doesnt give you the crap gentoo or arch put you under as far as setup. Because of its conservative nature I have found it to be THE most stable distro I have used.

I figured I would post the request as it would be alot easier than arch or gentoo to actually run tests on, which people seem to convieniently forget.

Comment

Working...
                                X