Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimenting With No "Hover Ads" On Phoronix

Phoronix: Experimenting With No "Hover Ads" On Phoronix

Often referred to as the most annoying ads on the site are the text-based links provided by Kontera that occur randomly over certain words within articles and create a hover box when mousing over them. In an experiment, those ads are no more on Phoronix...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Seriously Michael, you should consider selling exotic beers instead of pushing ads on us.

Comment

I have flash blocker installed on Chromium, enabled on Phoronix while adblock plus disabled. So in fact I see your acceptable ads and not the flash ones.

Sorry, but if you run a site dedicated to linux you should know that flash is a no-no.

PS: Why don't you use some re-load in javascript? Wont you get a lot more incoming? You can justify it as you deliver a lot of content, so a reload every X minutes is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
        I have flash blocker installed on Chromium, enabled on Phoronix while adblock plus disabled. So in fact I see your acceptable ads and not the flash ones.

Sorry, but if you run a site dedicated to linux you should know that flash is a no-no.

PS: Why don't you use some re-load in javascript? Wont you get a lot more incoming? You can justify it as you deliver a lot of content, so a reload every X minutes is fine.
        In a bit of a springboard off that idea... Is there anyway you can detect a change in the Content Manager and have the home page autoreload everytime you post a new article? You'd get more adviews from reloads, and users would get the added benefit of instantly seeing a new article.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

The Kontera adds I don't really have a problem with, personally-- mostly because I auto-login to the forums so I dont really see them. That being said the one adds that I do have a problem with, especially on mobile, on the shadowed overlay ads (next time I get one i'll screen shot it) since closing out of them on mobile can sometimes be a giant pain in the arse.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
            Seriously Michael, you should consider selling exotic beers instead of pushing ads on us.
            How about partnering with a geek gear vendor and sell stuff like Phoronix-tshirts, mousepads, etc. Could this add significant revenue? It seems like a low risk thing to try. Cheers!

Comment

Methinks only 6 to 12 Phoronix readers per day visit your site. Just kidding.

I have AdBlock turned off, but I'm doing whatever I can to protect myself regardless of which OS I use. I have zero trust in ad networks. One day, their servers can become compromised and attackers can use ad servers to spread malware as a vector of attack. Be absolutely sure you hold ad networks accountable for that.
              Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 02 May 2014, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Actually it looks like those are not poping up anymore either...

So I've disabled adblock at least... I don't mind the adds as long as they stay inside thier boxes :P Its when they jump out and run rampant that It gets irksome.

Comment

Hi,
                  I'm interested in the results of this experiment.

However my opinion is it won't trigger increase the ratio of users not using ad-blocking stuff. Because if they do disable it, it somehow means they already known the importance of that move, and they would have done it already. Most people take existence of websites as granted and are totally ignorant about where contents came from... just hope Phoronix readers actually are "better" than average xD

I'm premium user because I wanted to pay for what I like. However I use a RSS aggregator software and I access Phoronix from there. Browser tabs are always opened in no-premium mode because the browser can't auto-log me in (I've gotta manually go in forums and log there). So I'm often counted as a non-premium user... and I endure ads, consequently long loading time and high CPU usage because I always disable ad blocking on websites I frequently visit (and I don't want to increase ratio of visitors using ad-blockers).

Is it possible to also display the logging frame on news pages? If not please say why?

Regards and thanks

Comment

As a premium subscriber, having to hit the forums once a day to keep my cookie fresh is a hassle. Not that bad on the desktop, but getting whacked with a pop-over ad on mobile is a pain.

Comment

Working...
                    X