Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experimenting With No "Hover Ads" On Phoronix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Where do I donate? The "make a PayPal donation" text just links to the PayPal front page and I don't see any PayPal buttons kicking around in the site template.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      In a bit of a springboard off that idea... Is there anyway you can detect a change in the Content Manager and have the home page autoreload everytime you post a new article? You'd get more adviews from reloads, and users would get the added benefit of instantly seeing a new article.
      That's easily doable with a bit of ajax.

      Comment


      • #13
        I don't mind those mouseover text ads, I've become quite adept at avoiding them over the years, it's pretty much second nature now.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I don't mind those mouseover text ads, I've become quite adept at avoiding them over the years, it's pretty much second nature now.
          Yeah, they're incredibly annoying until you learn how to avoid them and then they become a non-issue.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by CChiappa View Post
            As a premium subscriber, having to hit the forums once a day to keep my cookie fresh is a hassle. Not that bad on the desktop, but getting whacked with a pop-over ad on mobile is a pain.
            This, I wish there was a way to set a permanent cookie (or at least a long lived one).

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              How about partnering with a geek gear vendor and sell stuff like Phoronix-tshirts, mousepads, etc. Could this add significant revenue? It seems like a low risk thing to try. Cheers!

              Would surely buy one of these.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by CChiappa View Post
                As a premium subscriber, having to hit the forums once a day to keep my cookie fresh is a hassle. Not that bad on the desktop, but getting whacked with a pop-over ad on mobile is a pain.
                Why not just go first to the forum area for new Phoronix articles, and pick articles to read from there rather than from the main page ? You get an automatic login and I find the denser list of articles preferable to the more spaced-out presentation on the main page.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Why not just go first to the forum area for new Phoronix articles, and pick articles to read from there rather than from the main page ? You get an automatic login and I find the denser list of articles preferable to the more spaced-out presentation on the main page.
                  My reading is generally driven by twitter, so I arrive at the article page rather than elsewhere.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    For those wanting Flash ads or other larger ads to be disabled, subscribe to Phoronix Premium.
                    How about a mobile-friendly site?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Add where already enables on all my favorite websites... but I'm curious about the outcome.

                      Also never knew these 'hover adds' where that interesting... make you think about the amount of "mouse" readers out there

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X