Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Latest Look Of The Phoronix Redesign

Phoronix: The Latest Look Of The Phoronix Redesign

Here's a look at the latest Phoronix.com site redesign. The evolutionary improvements to the site will soon begin rolling out...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYwMDE

A little word of advice. Don't just blindly change the look of your site, don't make it all twitterriffic or redditarded, just don't. A new coat of "paint" is just going to annoy everyone (slashdot being an excellent example). Add improved functionality, then mold the site to work around the new functionality.

Comment

What's the difference? Green + more room for adverts? I'd suggest you keep the dark grey. As ParticleBoard says, changes usually throw people, and I personally think the grey looks better.

Comment

It does look good now, the design is also good, I'll continue using phoronix the same way, and i also think that the rest will too.

Comment

Trust your own design(s) and ignore the critics, especially those complaining about having to learn new ways to use the site and complain about color schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
            What's the difference? Green + more room for adverts? I'd suggest you keep the dark grey. As ParticleBoard says, changes usually throw people, and I personally think the grey looks better.
            Changes usually throw bad people. Really, it looks more modern now.

Comment

It looks pretty good now, sans the ALL CAPS titles which still creep me out.

Comment

The new design locks more clear, but I do not like the "Ops my caps look key got stuck" lock of the titles.
                And the second point is that plane white backgrounds hrut my eyes, so I would change all the white/gray one step more to black than they are now.
                Last edited by _ONH_; 02-11-2014, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Spam site

Phoronix looks like a typical spam site with more focus on SEO and lots of unnecessary redundant links from everywhere to everywhere than focused on user experience.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Phoronix looks like a typical spam site with more focus on SEO and lots of unnecessary redundant links from everywhere to everywhere than focused on user experience.
                    This. I'm often quite annoyed at having to wade through all of the self-referential links to find the one link that is the actual source of the story.

And get rid of the typical PHP crap in the URLs. That is soooo last-decade. We don't care what scripting language you are using or its filename. And we certainly don't want to see extra parameters spelt out.

For example,
                    Code:
                    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU5OTY
                    could become
                    Code:
                    http://www.phoronix.com/news/MTU5OTY
                    or maybe even something like
                    Code:
                    http://www.phoronix.com/news/2014/02/10/nvidia-publishes-new-open-source-nouveau-driver-patch
                    It's longer, but more informative i.e the signal to noise ratio is much higher.

Just some thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Imroy View Post
                      For example,
                      Code:
                      http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU5OTY
                      could become
                      Code:
                      http://www.phoronix.com/news/MTU5OTY
                      or maybe even something like
                      Code:
                      http://www.phoronix.com/news/2014/02/10/nvidia-publishes-new-open-source-nouveau-driver-patch
                      It's longer, but more informative i.e the signal to noise ratio is much higher.
                      Indeed.
                      But all in all, the proposed new layout looks good to me.

Comment

I like the proposed new site with the green theme, looks more "Phoronix" than the blue one. Ignore the negative critics, some people just can't handle change even if it looks better. Always complainers wherever you go.

Comment

I didn't really have much of a problem with the previous revisions of the site (except for the lack of green, green just feels like Phoronix's color) and I don't have a problem with this one. The changes definitely get a thumbs-up from me!

Comment

So far the comments seem to be focused mostly on the color theme. I have to admit to having a preference for the old (current) green-grey-black color theme too. I do, however, like this new green theme more than the previous new blue theme. I've come to associate the color green with Phoronix, and the color blue with 99% of the rest of the internet, so I think it's important to at least maintain green as the dominant color.

Comparing the new colors with the current colors, I believe the new colors improve readability and overall give the site a more spaced, open feel. However, as other posters have pointed out, this new color theme is not as unique, compared to others' site designs, as the old current theme.

As far as the rest of the interface goes, I won't really know how to feel about it until I actually see it live in action as opposed to looking at some screenshots. Since colors appears to be the leading aspect of the design in this discussion, I think a number of other posters might feel the same way.

The only suggestion I can think of is to make color theme selectable per user account, and perhaps even tie this into premium accounts as a bonus to those who subscribe. The new "more modern" / "more generic" color theme can be the default, thus capitalizing on its (presumed) appeal to new readers, while the old theme, as an option for premium accounts, can capitalize on its appeal to some of the returning readers. Obviously, this is an easy suggestion to make from the point of view of someone that has nothing to do with actually implementing such an idea. That is a decision for you to weigh against the drawbacks of increased system complexity and development time, of course.

Comment

Personally, I've always liked the article layout on this website. I'd often find myself lost on other ones because they try to do some weird magazine crap.

The complaints about colour are really minor considering how easy it could be to just add the option in say, user settings for the colour.

Comment

Working...
                              X