Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like Next On Phoronix In 2014?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nedR View Post
    Regarding ads:

I personally don't use AdBlock, I use NoScript instead for security, which as a side-effect remove almost all ads on Phoronix. I don't understand why ads really need js to function.

I am happy to view (and have clicked) ads on Phoronix provided :-

1. They don't use bandwidth-consuming and performance-degrading and possibly malicious JS/Flash.
    2. Don't use tracking cookies (I block third party cookies).

Phoronix being an enthusiast-site (whose users are likely to have implemented such measures) maybe you should invest in finding ad providers that fit the above 2 requirements.
    Also Adblock makes exceptions for "acceptable ads".
    JS/Flash ads bring in many, many times more money than pure HTML or img ads... I'd be bankrupt if that's all that was run.
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      I would like game reviews top linux games. I think Michael should play Amensia: The Dark Decent for our entertaiment. Drunk Michael is, of coarse, prefered.
      I don't play games anymore, haven't had time to "play games" in many years -- aside from driver testing / running around to see the game works fine on hardware/software, etc. Heck I rarely even drink beer these days :/
      Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        JS/Flash ads bring in many, many times more money than pure HTML or img ads... I'd be bankrupt if that's all that was run.
        I appreciate that. I am saying maybe add some of those ads too to show the AdBlock crowd.

Maybe you could also try a different tack too. In addition to 'News articles', you could occassionally post detailed Howtos like 'Installing Ubuntu 13.10 along with Windows 8' or 'Installing Nvidia + bumblebee on Optimus systems' or 'Pinpointing & troubleshooting power consumption issues on Linux'. That last one especially since I am having hard time deciphering powertop and similar tools These could bring in hits from google who are looking for help for such issues. Right now bloggers are grabbing most of these searches.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I don't play games anymore, haven't had time to "play games" in many years -- aside from driver testing / running around to see the game works fine on hardware/software, etc. Heck I rarely even drink beer these days
          Turn that frown upside down!

No Beer = More Money in the pocket!

On a serious note, I'd like to see more games benchmarked. Especially newer and demanding games, with various combinations in settings (meaning not just 1080p resolutions). Older games should also be benchmarked with older hardware. I'd love to see the kaveri apu's benchmarked with Crysis, Far Cry, etc. *even in wine*

Comment

Originally posted by belal1 View Post
            Turn that frown upside down!

No Beer = More Money in the pocket!

On a serious note, I'd like to see more games benchmarked. Especially newer and demanding games, with various combinations in settings (meaning not just 1080p resolutions). Older games should also be benchmarked with older hardware. I'd love to see the kaveri apu's benchmarked with Crysis, Far Cry, etc. *even in wine*
            See - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTUyNTU
            Michael Larabel

Comment

What about the new NUC DN2820FYK??
              With a Intel® Celeron® Processor N2820 Baytrail CPU.
              http://ark.intel.com/products/78953/...-Kit-DN2820FYK

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty View Post
                What about the new NUC DN2820FYK??
                With a Intel® Celeron® Processor N2820 Baytrail CPU.
                http://ark.intel.com/products/78953/...-Kit-DN2820FYK
                Yes I intend to get one when I can find it on Amazon or NewEgg.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Hello
                  Premium subscriptions have access to complete rss feeds?
                  I read phoronix news during train travels and it is really annoying to open website pages instead than news feed when connection is slow.

Thank you
                  Alessandro

Comment

game performances of kde, gnome etc. Thanks

Comment

Less Ubuntu
                      More Hardware test
                      More testing of different distro
                      More coverage of things happening in Fedora,Linux Mint, Gentoo etc
                      More Bsd( I love to read the comments after you made a bsd article

Oh and what happend to the beer?

Comment

ads

Those who are complaining about the advertising... if you are a frequent enough visitor or participant on this site, you ought to be subscribing as a premium member. Demanding premium level content, moaning about the ads, and then not subscribing, is pretty weak sauce. Support the things you enjoy. it's only $35/year after all, that's less than $3 a month.
                        Last edited by torsionbar28; 02-25-2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

I would like to see more power consumption benchmarks on laptops and with different distros.

Comment

I am wondering about Gentoo.
                            How much difference will it make?
                            In speed and power consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirsty View Post
                              I am wondering about Gentoo.
                              How much difference will it make?
                              In speed and power consumption.
                              Little to none.

Gentoo is for people who want to tweak every little package on their system towards exactly their personal needs, not for people who want it to go faster.

If you think gentoo's use flags are interesting, try gentoo. If you want things to go faster, keep your existing distro and just try to build a few of the main packages from scratch, like the kernel.

Comment

Hardware Reviews

I really enjoy the comprehensive hardware reviews. The majority of commodity hardware reviews on the web are Windows focused. I tend to stick only with hardware that has official vendor support for RHEL, both to play it safe from a compatibility standpoint, and to support the vendors who support Linux. Supermicro desktop boards, and Dell Precision laptops for example, rank highly on my list for their official RHEL support. I realize though that there's plenty of hardware that works fine, great even, but it isn't tested, certified, and labeled as such. Seeing Linux-based reviews of new hardware helps everyone see what works well and what doesn't, so bravo on that.

One thing I'd like to see more of, is non x86 hardware reviews. ARM in particular is interesting, for its excellent Linux support, and for it's ultra-low power consumption. Not to mention its low cost. I think Phoronix attracts Linux hobbyists, and so does the ARM processor architecture. Lets see some ARM hardware reviews and benchmarks! There's a lot to choose from, PandaBoard, BeagleBoard, Raspberry Pi, CubieBoard, etc.
                                Last edited by torsionbar28; 03-18-2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X