No announcement yet.

Soliciting Feedback On The New Phoronix Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until now I didn't noticed the new desgin...

Comment

a interesting article about typographic in web sites: http://www.64notes.com/design/stop-helvetica-arial/

I completely agree with others who say that the line weight of the texts is too wide.

Comment

Originally posted by theguy View Post
        Seven ads per article. That's cool, I guess.
        And they wonder why we block them...

Seriously, browsing without blocking ads is madness.

As for design, I'll stick to stylish. I don't like light backgrounds.

Comment

Having multiple line breakes allows fore easy resumin if you get interupted, it is much better for scanning threw an article, and allowes for a more dynamic flow when reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post

When you have hundreds of tabs open, it's a necessity. It's the difference between having your CPU run 100% day and night, and idling at 1%.

You can still white list certain sites, though...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: Soliciting Feedback On The New Phoronix Design

As mentioned last month on Phoronix, a major revision to Phoronix.com is in-development. Prior to the launch later this month, your feedback on the latest concepts are appreciated...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQwMzk
              News menus on the bottom of the pics 1 and 2 look like they will look even crappier then they do in the preview when zoomed in.

Moving that info to the bottom is a waste of space and results in more scrolling to see said information on modern aspect ratios.

Yay, even more space wasted on ads.

Kill the link soup articles that link nowhere but back to Phoronix, nobody in their right mind is going to willingly click them, and just use a tag system and have a selection of no less then 3 and no more then 5 similar articles based upon tags.

Unless you are actually going to cover more in the way of gaming I see no reason for you to even bother breaking down the latests news by category since you do too much in the way of click padding as it is. If you focus on posting more content people actually want to read instead of way to get people to click on articles that tell us nothing we didn't already know or worse yet absolutely nothing worth knowing as you keep doing with the GCN hardware reviews since the 3.11 kernel is out and what you have done forever with the OSS drivers in only ever using defaults you could attract more readers.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post

As for design, I'll stick to stylish. I don't like light backgrounds.
                Exactly, like most sites there is more ad then article on the previews. So nope, not gonna turn off adblock.

If you are that hard up for adbucks then start contacting the operators of as many sites as you can find, see if you can organize to force the advertisers to up their payouts. as it is it's a pyramid scheme, they make all the money and force many users to switch to a less ad laden site or turn on an adblocker.

Comment

The most safe and sure way to display ads is, don't use syndication. Ie. no third parties. Display your very own ads, from your very own server, ie, do the deals yourself directly with your sponsors.

As easy as it is for you to add a gazillion syndicated ads, is as easy for us to block them. From the most crude methods involving editing the "hosts" file to plugins, proxies or heavy scripting that would filter 'em out. Your choice.

I suggest you study personal computer history, ie: drm and copy protection; and see which in the long run caused most problems to which type of users. I think the game "Spore" should shed you some light.

A single self hosted STATIC ad will probably be acceptable, but dump us a lot of flashing thingies and you have a recipe for rebellion.

So doing the deals yourself, make sure that single ad is worth 7 times the syndicated crap. Problem solved.
                  Easy enough, you should get sponsors related with Linux and open / free source software in general or related.

Value yourself accordingly producing quality articles and reduce the noise to attempt higher google ratings.

The more you lower the quality, the more likely we will go elsewhere.

Comment

Put a max cap on the article width, there's a ton of studies how wide lines are bad for readability.

Since this gives you empty space on the background, you can put a large background ad there, like some sites do. It's fairly unintrusive there too, only visible in the empty space.

Comment

Ahaha. Michael doesn't have a premium account.
                      The ads look way too intrusive.
                      God, if I saw such a website I'd think twice about visiting it again.

It looks a bit messy to me. But maybe this is because it looks different to the old design. And because of all those pesky ads.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X