Forum user rating system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum user rating system

Hi, well I visit Phoronix often and read user posts and I have noticed for a while there are many trolls/12yrs old/dumb
    users posting (like in many forums really). So I request a user rating system maybe like StackOverflow, I don't know,
    in order to facilitate skipping potentially worthless logorrhea, time is precious you know.

Thanks.

Originally posted by zwastik View Post
    Hi, well I visit Phoronix often and read user posts and I have noticed for a while there are many trolls/12yrs old/dumb
    users posting (like in many forums really). So I request a user rating system maybe like StackOverflow, I don't know,
    in order to facilitate skipping potentially worthless logorrhea, time is precious you know.

Thanks.
    This system never worked - everyone has own opinion, and will reduce forum popularity a lot.
    If your time is precious, go drive your ferrari instead of reading; or hire a secretary.

Comment

Thanks.

this coming from a user nicknamed swastika

-1 fag

stfu and gtfo

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        This system never worked - everyone has own opinion, and will reduce forum popularity a lot.
        If your time is precious, go drive your ferrari instead of reading; or hire a secretary.
        Originally posted by brosis View Post
        Your reasoning:

Hypothesis: This system [user rating] never worked
        Argument: [Because] everyone has own opinion, and [a user rating system] will reduce forum popularity a lot.
        Conclusion: [user rating system shall not be implemented]

Now take a look at my argumentation (which is by no means perfect):

Hypothesis: A user rating system facilitates finding potentially sound thoughts expressed in forum posts.
        Argument:

Fact 1: Everyone has his own opinion.
        Fact 2: Everyone has a limited amount of knowledge which differ in depth and scientific validity.

Every one has his own opinion (Fact 1) indeed, however because an opinion is a view or judgment not necessarily based on fact or knowledge?, some opinions are logically inconsistent.
        Hence, remaining opinions must be based on fact or knowledge. Because Fact 2., every opinion (based on fact or knowledge) differ in depth and scientific validity.
        From now on we will refer to opinions as based on fact or knowledge.
        Opinions from the community are expressed by forum posts in this website. Therefore forum posts express a limited amount of knowledge which differ in depth and scientific validity.

Forum posts can be spatially located, so sound opinions can be spatially located too.
        So what do we do to distinguish -and therefore easily locate-, the essential from the incidental?
        We underline, we highlight, like in a text.

What is in a badge? in a decoration? medal or award?
        Not surprisingly the underlying significance is the same: distinguish, differentiate.

The guy who excels at mathematics gets a certificate conferring honors and maybe a scholarship, others wont. You want to be able to recognize that guy so your company can hire the best one.

Basically you are doing the same thing you do when you use your highlighter on a text.
        Analogously I suggest implementing a mechanism to highlight the potentially literate comments from the average nonsense. That mechanism is called online reputation system and it is used widely ?? hence contradicting forum popularity reduction.

? Concise Oxford English Dictionary.
        ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reputation_system
        ? http://ets.tlt.psu.edu/wp-content/up...alratings1.pdf

Comment

zwastik: sounds good to me!

Comment

You don't understand... medals, awards are ... penises.
            Look:

The guy with more penises, looks more important than the guy with less penises.
            Please pay attention, I give no negative toning to that.

The real importance of the guy however, is not toned by the amount of penises he wears on his shoulders.
            Neither poster, nor post with a lot of "stars" indicate its real value.

Thats point Nr 1.
            --

Army is very predefined, very straightforward, totalitarian command system with definate set of rules.
            They have plan, the plan is to be executed in specific order, those who execute the plan perfectly get more penises. Simple.

For this system, one way - penis marks are sufficient.
            For predefined testing system, like PTS, points judging overall CPU performance are also sufficient.

Live discussion however does not have any set of strictly predefined rules.
            Using such system also will totalitarize / polarize the discussion due to alreadly mentioned different subjective takes on the topic.

Thats point Nr 2.
            --

Because forums are by far less controllable and have way less damaging punishment system - on one plate..
            And ability to have more penises allows to lobby specific point of view - on another plate..

-> this system applied to forums will be hugely misused.
            Clone attacks and lobbying will hugely increase.

Thats point Nr 3.
            --

And many negative posts now may be have positive meaning in the future.
            Many ignored posts might be overlooked and insightful.
            Many negatively marked posts might actually speak the truth that hurts. Everything that hurts is usually ignored, this is human nature. Look up "painkillers".

Thats point Nr 4.
            --

Finally, we already have ability to rate topic.
            We already have ability to report post as abusive.
            We have topic to report spam bots.
            Even pretty stupid "ban X" topics rise from time to time and get admin personal attention.
            - You better not write in this topic, if you personally using clones, since admin can track you. Thats different from p"+/-" 'ing, where admin will not see who voted for or against.
            - And such topics are not easy to create for users on daily basis. Something really outstanding should be happening. It is much easier to downvote somebody in contrast. The point is that admin will spend much less time looking in such topics instead of doing it on daily basis - unnoticed - which results in better articles on phoronix.

Thats point Nr. 5.
            --

And facts or validity have no effect on post insightfullness. This is not wikipedia. This is not library of scientific articles. This is free discussion forum vectored at *Unix.

Comment

How about rating a thought (i.e post), instead of rating the user who posted it?

That would give us an insight into how many people share the same thought.
              I'm sure there is a simple vBulletin mod that can do this.

Comment

Originally posted by CthuIhux View Post
                That still cause the problems I mentioned in the previous post. poeple will be discouraged from posting true statments all because they are afraid their post would be shown to be unpopular.
                Ok, then what about a like-only system? Like that unpopular thought's can't be in a negative.
                Edit: By the way, I wouldn't know why it matters if they get their posts downrated. I've had my posts on other forums downrated and that did not discourage me to say what I believe. I'm sure if someone believes in what he/she says, then they will post it no matter what.
                Last edited by j2723; 09 March 2013, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Given that this is Phoronix a rating system simply can't work. Mindless fanboys and trolls will not hesitate to create dozens of accounts to upvote their own posts and, in case that downvoting is enabled, massively downvote anything they don't like, making any attempt of a serious rating system useless at best.

Comment

Even if everyone was fully limited to one account, the problems groupthink would bring are huge.

I _want_ to see opinions that disagree with my own. I want to see unpopular opinions. I want my worldview challenged. How else would I learn?
                    Only seeing posts that agree with the majority would get stale very quickly, kinda like Fox news for the US folk.

Seriously, you can never trust the group for whether any post is worth reading. Decide for yourself, you have the magic ability called scrolling that can be used to skip those you wish to skip.

This is why I don't go to reddit.

Comment

Working...
                    X