Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Hardware, Software Trends Over One Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux Hardware, Software Trends Over One Year

    Phoronix: Linux Hardware, Software Trends Over One Year

    Here's a look at some Linux hardware and software usage trends over the past year on a month-by-month basis...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5MTQ

  • #2
    Colors

    Those four similar blue shades are really annoying. Can you please use some other more distinguishable colors like yellow, pink, orange, etc. (Gnuplot default colors are quite good example), those may not look as "cool" but make reading the graphs much easier.

    Comment


    • #3
      Colors

      Originally posted by Paulie889 View Post
      Those four similar blue shades are really annoying. Can you please use some other more distinguishable colors like yellow, pink, orange, etc. (Gnuplot default colors are quite good example), those may not look as "cool" but make reading the graphs much easier.
      I agree. I cannot distinguish between the colors as they're too similiar. Perhaps the tango colors could work too.

      Comment


      • #4
        As explained before, patches for pts_Graph are welcome to improve the color picking algorithm... From a base set of colors, it needs to be able to shift around the color wheel and pick out other X-number of distinct colors. The current algorithm was submitted by a Phoronix reader after he didn't like my previous version, but clearly there are still some flaws with this current implementation.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          As explained before, patches for pts_Graph are welcome to improve the color picking algorithm... From a base set of colors, it needs to be able to shift around the color wheel and pick out other X-number of distinct colors. The current algorithm was submitted by a Phoronix reader after he didn't like my previous version, but clearly there are still some flaws with this current implementation.
          As explained before, the color similarity makes these graphs almost useless. What is keeping you from fixing it yourself? You sound like a broken record soliciting the fix from your readers all the time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kiputnik View Post
            As explained before, the color similarity makes these graphs almost useless. What is keeping you from fixing it yourself? You sound like a broken record soliciting the fix from your readers all the time.
            Color algorithms aren't my area of expertise, my color picker had already went through several phases.

            The colors work fine for me just now for figuring out the lines after looking at the averages/low/highs to know where they should be, and none of the commercial customers have complained about line graph colors. So if there are some people who don't like the color and want it changed, and experience with colors, feel free to submit patches since it's open-source.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              [...]For processor use, Intel is in front with close to 80%...
              close to 70% would be more accurate according to the graph.

              quite interesting to see that AMD/ATI has a higher share of graphic cards than Nvidia. I would have thought that Nvidia has probably a higher share under Linux users.

              Edit: ah nevermind if I sum up Intel, Pentium it's close to 80%.

              Comment


              • #8
                surprise surprise the radeon driver beat the FGLRX in market share!

                and this number will grow because of the support drop of the hd2000-hd4000 cards.

                Comment


                • #9
                  HSL

                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Color algorithms aren't my area of expertise, my color picker had already went through several phases.

                  The colors work fine for me just now for figuring out the lines after looking at the averages/low/highs to know where they should be, and none of the commercial customers have complained about line graph colors. So if there are some people who don't like the color and want it changed, and experience with colors, feel free to submit patches since it's open-source.
                  You could use HSL and then just rotate the hue.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Those four similar blue shades are really annoying. Can you please use some other more distinguishable colors like yellow, pink, orange, etc. (Gnuplot default colors are quite good example), those may not look as "cool" but make reading the graphs much easier.
                    I personally would prefer larger images. The average, peak, and lows are nearly unreadable on a 1080p display without superscaling the image. The larger image also makes the problem with the color picking more tolerable.

                    As for the article, the graph should reveal information about the size of each sample. With sample sizes it would be possible to assess the statistical significance of a single sample. May 2011.05 is one such example of a sample where the sample size would shed light on it's discrepancy from the rest of the set.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Last year?

                      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                      surprise surprise the radeon driver beat the FGLRX in market share!

                      and this number will grow because of the support drop of the hd2000-hd4000 cards.
                      I think that happened already a year ago in the Linux graphics survey?
                      The radeon driver is overall more used than the fglrx. Since Nvidia doesn't really provide an alternative and you cannot properly use xrandr with it, this is a reason for me to buy AMD

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It is clear that the data has been heavily manipulated to give a false impression; though not immediately obvious, I can appreciate how the "ati" and "radeon" drivers are different, despite being the same thing for different hardware generations.... but in the second chart, where ATI and AMD are separated as graphics card vendors, it is CLEAR that the objective here was to promote nvidia rather than provide an unbiased comparison of the trends. At least the WRITTEN part treats this more correctly.... but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                          It is clear that the data has been heavily manipulated to give a false impression; though not immediately obvious, I can appreciate how the "ati" and "radeon" drivers are different, despite being the same thing for different hardware generations.... but in the second chart, where ATI and AMD are separated as graphics card vendors, it is CLEAR that the objective here was to promote nvidia rather than provide an unbiased comparison of the trends. At least the WRITTEN part treats this more correctly.... but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
                          LOL? This is the raw data from the Phoronix Test Suite submitted to OpenBenchmarking.org.... PTS is all open-source... OpenBenchmarking.org automatically creates the graphs, there is no human involvement. PTS just reports the drivers as-is when detected.
                          Michael Larabel
                          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks for posting the stats. The graphs for the OS vendors a least confirm that these threads have a lot of vocal minorities

                            I still wonder what are the system logs and such are used for when they're to be uploaded?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                              I still wonder what are the system logs and such are used for when they're to be uploaded?
                              - Simply for reference and checking if you didn't falsify the XML file (granted, you could have falsified the system logs, etc). Or for checking dmesg for GPU hangs, etc.

                              - Crowd-sourced look at some things, e.g. motherboards with broken ASPM - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTk4NQ (more in terms of this crowd-sourced look are on my roadmap for the future).

                              - cpuinfo files, for example are analyzed to provide data like on this CPU search page listing - http://openbenchmarking.org/s/Intel%20Core%20i5-2500K (at the bottom with the example cpuinfo, etc)

                              - Plus a lot of other features forthcoming, but alas still battling them on my TODO list.
                              Michael Larabel
                              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X