On Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    You're welcome to be a mod if you wish. I even PMed you about it a few weeks (or months) ago but I think your PM inbox might be full?
    great now can we have that F[self moderated edit] Edit time increased to a permanent owner edit/delete time or at least a good half hour time limit, dont keep ignoring these edit time requests by many people here, hoping they will go away , they wont.

Comment

see i wanted to be clever and edit this into the post above but i cant so here

CO http://www.semiconductorpackagingnews.com/

"Your bad attitude was starting to affect the others. That's much better."
      Copyright ? Randy Glasbergen

Comment

I volunteer to send all spam posts links to deanjo (if he creates some thread for it, or cleans his PM *sic*) directly when I find some. Please increase the edit limit to at least 3 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
          I volunteer to send all spam posts links to deanjo (if he creates some thread for it, or cleans his PM *sic*) directly when I find some. Please increase the edit limit to at least 3 minutes.
          If Micheal increases my inbox size, I wouldn't have a problem with a PM. Keep in mind it still wouldn't be a instant delete of thread so allow some reasonable amount of time for me to spot them on my own first.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            If Micheal increases my inbox size, I wouldn't have a problem with a PM. Keep in mind it still wouldn't be a instant delete of thread so allow some reasonable amount of time for me to spot them on my own first.
            If people hit the report button on a spam post, the reports generally are either sent as emails or special alerts so you'd be alerted to the situation at least. We know you might not always be online though...but we trust you to make the right decision. If we ever needed another moderator to help you out I'm sure Michael can pick someone. I myself had been a supermod on a small forum so I know what it is like to deal with spammers and other troublesome users.

This board generally is well behaved so the spam is the only big issue right now

Comment

Originally posted by flowen58
              a useful study. Thank you.
              Now this is just funny (it's a spambot; check the post history).

Comment

Just as an FYI, here are some spam post archetypes to keep an eye out for:

1) A generic greeting/new member message that doesn't mention the proper name of the forum (though it might mention the domain name), discuss any of the forum's topics, or give any clear information about the user's interest in the forum. References to "this site" or "this forum" are common. An additional red flag for this type is any statement along the lines of "sorry if this is in the wrong section" (incidentally, being posted in a wildly inappropriate section is a red flag for spam in general).

2) A "general interest" news story (not really relevant to the forum) with no particular commentary attached.

3) A generic "thanks for your informative post" message, often with poor grammar/punctuation and/or strange word usage (see above).

4) A duplicate of an old post. This type is especially tricky because it tends to be very appropriate/specific to the forum and uses normal language. At Phoronix we probably have a slight edge against this type since the Linux world moves so fast (so such posts will likely express strangely outdated concerns) and because any of the regulars here would naturally raise an eyebrow if they saw a Qaridarium post made by someone other than Qaridarium .

5) Cyrillic posts with links in an English-speaking forum. Kind of obvious, but I feel obligated to mention it because I've seen this a lot lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                  Just as an FYI, here are some spam post archetypes to keep an eye out for:

1) A generic greeting/new member message that doesn't mention the proper name of the forum (though it might mention the domain name), discuss any of the forum's topics, or give any clear information about the user's interest in the forum. References to "this site" or "this forum" are common. An additional red flag for this type is any statement along the lines of "sorry if this is in the wrong section" (incidentally, being posted in a wildly inappropriate section is a red flag for spam in general).

2) A "general interest" news story (not really relevant to the forum) with no particular commentary attached.

3) A generic "thanks for your informative post" message, often with poor grammar/punctuation and/or strange word usage (see above).

4) A duplicate of an old post. This type is especially tricky because it tends to be very appropriate/specific to the forum and uses normal language. At Phoronix we probably have a slight edge against this type since the Linux world moves so fast (so such posts will likely express strangely outdated concerns) and because any of the regulars here would naturally raise an eyebrow if they saw a Qaridarium post made by someone other than Qaridarium .

5) Cyrillic posts with links in an English-speaking forum. Kind of obvious, but I feel obligated to mention it because I've seen this a lot lately.
                  Great post and these are exactly what could be considered potential spam posts. We as a community should also fight back against spammers as they are slimy lowlifes, so if we see a possible spam post just hit the Report button

A spammer is also has a username that's made up of random letters/numbers so that's easy to spot.

Most importantly NEVER click links in a spam post or in the spammer's sig as they can lead to rather malicious sites loaded with nasty trojans waiting to attack some unsuspecting Windoze machine or even lead to a phishing site.

and lol @ people who'd think Qaridarium's a potential spammer or has multiple accounts

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    and lol @ people who'd think Qaridarium's a potential spammer or has multiple accounts
                    My point is just that Q is very distinctive, so it would probably be noticed if his posts were copied.

Comment

Working...
                    X