The Phoronix Forums Have Been Upgraded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoronix
    and to make it easier for Phoronix Premium members to log-in to their accounts
    So where is the easier part? I understand you've been working on this since the 2006-2007 timeframe, and yes, I want to actually _log in to_ http://www.phoronix.com to turn off the ads and enable single-page viewing, _not_ first log into the forums and then you get 15 minutes of ad-freeness on phoronix.com.

Seems to me like upgrading vbulletin wouldn't make the PHXCMS / vBulletin integration any easier or harder. In fact, any code you had hacked together for vBulletin 3.x is probably out the window with 4.x, so it's a regression if nothing else. And considering how little attention this has received in the past.......

Good thought, but pardon me if I save my party hat for 2020, when (among other things) Radeon "R1200" chipsets will fully support OpenGL 6.1 on SuperGallium3d, the edit limit will be lifted, and wine can seamlessly run every Windows 9 application in 64-bit mode... heh. And maybe by then, subscribers to Phoronix will be able to login from the main website, or at least keep a cookie that stays around for more than 15 minutes. Maybe.

And let's not forget: A few weeks after Phoronix Premium subscribers successfully login from the main page, Duke Nukem Forever will be released.

Comment

The new theme is so bright! Any chance we can have a darker theme (light text on dark background)?

Comment

I'd still prefer the background to be darker than now.

Comment

theme

I like the light theme, although it does take a little getting used to. The new grey color is definitely better than the original white, which was too bright.

The header at the top is very green. Try putting some black in there somewhere, or some kind of color that will contrast nicely.

Comment

Title line here...

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            I like the light theme, although it does take a little getting used to. The new grey color is definitely better than the original white, which was too bright.

The header at the top is very green. Try putting some black in there somewhere, or some kind of color that will contrast nicely.
            The edit timeout is still WAY too fast.

Also, the title seems a little weird. I would suggest:

Removing the icon.
            Making the text less big/bold.
            Adding a background color to highlight that row instead.

More like the preview page shows it.

Comment

Maybe increasing contrast in general would help too. Right now my eyes seem to have a hard time figuring out the structure of the page. Comments look kind of mixed together. Maybe just making some borders more pronounced would improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by kirillkh View Post
                Maybe increasing contrast in general would help too. Right now my eyes seem to have a hard time figuring out the structure of the page. Comments look kind of mixed together. Maybe just making some borders more pronounced would improve it.
                Maybe use the dark green at the top of each post for the whole border around it.

Comment

But there's at least one thing done well in this theme: the green Reply button. Rolling over it makes my mouse feel horny.

Comment

The pager buttons stick out

They should be colored green like everything else.

Comment

Agreed, the icon in front of the (usually missing) post title is useless. And an individual post could be more 'compact'; perhaps really needs a thicker border. Or removal/relocation of the bottom grey bar with the report/reply links.

Comment

Wow, this is cool!
                        1) Black on white no longer hurts my eyes so I no longer have to use the "No color" FF extension for the phoronix forum.
                        2) full screen forum.
                        3) overall better and smoother look and feel
                        4) hopefully the 1 minute rule will be gone

Good work phoronix staff!

Comment

The bright background is only annoying because Phoronix.com itself is so dark. Following a comments link just to have most of your monitor switch from dark pixels to bright is what makes it so jarring to look at. Either make Phoronix.com match the forum or make the forum match Phoronix.com.

The "whole width" thing is also avoided on mainstream websites for a very good reason, and not because of some archaic mistake. Longer lines of text are actually harder and more stressful to read. The distance between the end and beginning of each line of text is longer, which makes it harder for the eye to keep its place when scanning lines and requires more effort and careful scanning to read any paragraph that actually breaks across lines. Narrower but taller blocks of text are superior in terms of readability, which is why columned text layouts are so popular; the fact that you have to scroll more is a trade-off, certainly, but one I personally find more than worth it. But then, I run two 21.5" 1080p screens on my desktop and a 17" 1080p on my laptop, so I tend to have a lot more horizontal space than most.

Comment

Huuuuuuuuuge change but we 'll get used to it

Comment

A suggestion for Michael

Is it possible to remove the "Started by xxxx at xxxxxxxxxx" under the Thread title. it adds so much visual clutter. You can keep the original poster but the date is pretty much irrelevant.

Also if possible move the page count of the thread next to the title. Makes for a more linear mouse movement.

Comment

i'm not super familiar with forum software in particular and this is may be possible across the board, but anyway i do know that on another forum i'm on, that uses the same software, they allow users to choose between certain presets of colors.

if some folks out there are really turned off by the new white background, perhaps you could add it as an option to let them choose between white on black and black on white ?

here's the kicker though: you didn't mention whether you remove that ONE MINUTE EDIT LIMIT ???

Comment

Working...
                                X