Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 minute edit limit...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1 minute edit limit...

    ... Any change of finally lifting this highly annoying limitation and replacing it with something more reasonable such as 10-15 minutes?

    - Gilboa
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

  • #2
    Hear hear, why not increase the edit limit to 25 minutes? many sites have done this and has worked out well for them.

    Comment


    • #3
      Again, the current time limit of one minute is in place as it ended up cutting down significantly on spam. Still need to get to a better anti-spam solution though is on my TODO list.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Again, the current time limit of one minute is in place as it ended up cutting down significantly on spam. Still need to get to a better anti-spam solution though is on my TODO list.
        Why not have a Linux-based 'question' as part of the registration process? How many spammers are going to go to the trouble to research the answer?

        It should be a question that any Linux user would easily know.

        The other techniques such as entering the characters is something a human can easily get around. Having a question that Linux users would know is not so much, perhaps? Just an idea.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Again, the current time limit of one minute is in place as it ended up cutting down significantly on spam. Still need to get to a better anti-spam solution though is on my TODO list.
          I understand.
          However, even raising it to 2-3 minutes will greatly improve the ability to fix typos, mistakes, etc.
          As I stand, I seldom manage to finish loading the page (containing the thread) before the 1 minute cap is over, let alone re-reading my post and fixing mistakes...

          - Gilboa
          DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
          SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
          BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
          LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gilboa View Post
            I understand.
            However, even raising it to 2-3 minutes will greatly improve the ability to fix typos, mistakes, etc.
            As I stand, I seldom manage to finish loading the page (containing the thread) before the 1 minute cap is over, let alone re-reading my post and fixing mistakes...

            - Gilboa
            And raising it to two or three minutes lets all the spammers back in...
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Michael View Post
              And raising it to two or three minutes lets all the spammers back in...
              Actually, there've been several spammers get through your 1 minute edit and a few of the other barriers to posting spammage. While I presume it'd be bad without it, it's not so hot with it in place- and it's causing it's own set of issues.

              I don't know if there's much of any effective spam-barrier method for web boards.

              Comment


              • #8
                How about rising it to 3 minute edit after person has posted at least 50 comments?

                Or adding the possibility to "update/add to" the original post?
                Im actually more for "add to whats already posted" feature.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  How about rising it to 3 minute edit after person has posted at least 50 comments?
                  That's what originally I was going to do, but I haven't found the time yet to do that or investigate any other anti-spam plug-ins...
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    How about rising it to 3 minute edit after person has posted at least 50 comments?
                    Or even completely remove the limit if the user has posted at least 20 comments. If a bot has already successfully spammed 20 times, they obviously don't care about edit limit.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      looks like ubuntuforum did really good job managing this stuff without limit at all!
                      Maybe all is needed that phoronix does the next step towards a open community and look after some moderator volunteer?


                      edit: worthy moderator volunter...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I just registered at the arch linux forums and they also have NO edit limit, and I didn't find any spam around. I was able to edit my own single post with no problems. Having no limit at all is the best, but having the current limit increased would already be a welcome improvement. The words "[insult] edit time limit" must be a very big part of the phoronix forums by now

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          With moderators around they can catch and deal with spammers that slip thru the antispam defenses

                          Michael you should delegate moderation authority to trusted people so you don't have to do it all alone

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I second the above.
                            Both Fedoraforum and Ubuntuforum seem to use the same software as Phoronix and yet both of them doesn't seem to suffer from spammers, even though both enable unlimited editing.

                            ... I wonder how they did it.
                            Micheal, have you considered contacting them and asking their help?

                            - Gilboa
                            DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
                            SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
                            BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
                            LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                              I second the above.
                              Both Fedoraforum and Ubuntuforum seem to use the same software as Phoronix and yet both of them doesn't seem to suffer from spammers, even though both enable unlimited editing.

                              ... I wonder how they did it.
                              Micheal, have you considered contacting them and asking their help?

                              - Gilboa
                              +1
                              Big side of the open source concept is this: win in competition isn't about try to kick others out... but provide the best result with shared knowledges.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X