No announcement yet.

Phoronix extremely irritating self advertisement, kontera and adds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no objection to advertisements, what I dislike is the banner ads because I have had too many problems with Flash doing strange things like maxing my CPU.

(I use the keyboard to scroll, so kontera ads don't bother me.)

Comment

Yeah, it's a Linux site. HTML5.. (F*ck Flash)

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
        I will point out that those irritating advertisements are what largely make it possible for Michael to maintain the site. Information may want to be free, but bandwidth isn't and Michael has to pay the bills somehow.

Obviously, the best solution for everybody is the premium subscription. Michael gets to eat and you get the site with no ads of any kind for a pretty reasonable price.
        what they said!

you guys are so freaking picky! it's a news site. that delivers content to many people, FOR FREE. they even have hardware reviews. and michael was running the phoromatic kernel tracker in his own home last time i heard.
        you can put up with some advertisements! grr..

also, relax about how he links to pts all the time. its a great peice of software. i've never seen anything like it for any os.
        and it's FREE

on another note though, i don't like how many microsoft advertisements i've seen. but i don't care, i prefer to read the articles, not stare at the ads!

Comment

I think the point is, that it's too much. It's hard to read the news, because the important links (to developers blogs for example) are going under between the 999 links to other phoronix articles or phoronix news pages or phoronix overview pages without content sometimes even.

If there are too many ads the users will use adblock. And if you block adblock users (I'm sure you can't really, they/we can always adjust) they will simply stop reading your news.

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
            the phoromatic kernel tracker in his own home last time i heard.
            Most of Phoronix is run out of my home.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Support the site

I've added Phoronix to ABP's white list, and stopped using NoScript. Ads are very annoying, but I would hate it if this site shut down.

Comment

My only real point of criticism about ads on phoronix is this "kontera".
                Only this kind of ad is really annoying. Everything else I dont see a problem about. I am not using any kind of ad-blocker. I don't see real reason to do. Although do block pop-ups (unwanted / Opera).

Generally Michael is doing a good job. I like him being very uptodate, I like the forums.

Thank you for the work. I still hope you will remove that "kontera" ads/link by some day

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by mcgreg View Post
                  My only real point of criticism about ads on phoronix is this "kontera".
                  Only this kind of ad is really annoying. Everything else I dont see a problem about. I am not using any kind of ad-blocker. I don't see real reason to do. Although do block pop-ups (unwanted / Opera).

Generally Michael is doing a good job. I like him being very uptodate, I like the forums.

Thank you for the work. I still hope you will remove that "kontera" ads/link by some day

Greg
                  Hi Greg,

Thanks. Actually as of a week or two ago, for all forum goers that are logged into the forums and browsing the forums and have more than ten posts, Kontera should not show up in the forums.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

That actually works! Thanks Micheal! Those to me were the most annoying ads and now that I know this, I just need to remember to login to the forums before reading articles!

Comment

Yep, logging in works! Great.

Comment

Working...
                      X