No announcement yet.

Please The Chef With Linux & Phoronix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not bothered about the article but between me and my wife, I'm the one they call "Chef Chewi" while she can't cook to save her life! She does use Linux though.

Comment

My god they've done it!

Linux really can make me a sandwich now! Well almost.

Take that windows, we're one step closer than you are.

Comment

My girlfriend and I both cook, and we are both Linux enthusiasts. She's currently saving up to buy components to build her own desktop machine, and I'd like to be able to show her Phoronix reviews to help her pick things out, without her having to read things that insult her in between the benchmarks.

Michael's apology is a good sign, and it shows that the site owners know that it's not right to insult people like that. But the news post really needs to be changed to reflect this, I think. There are a lot of unspoken assumptions in it that a lot of people find offensive, and I think that that ought to be rectified.

Some people would take it in stride if their favorite cooking website posted an announcement about "Our new NASCAR and monster truck site that's sure to please your husband!" The fact that they wouldn't be bothered by it, though, doesn't make it any less unkind / insulting for the site's owners to lump people together like that, under a stereotype that many of them would resent or be depressed by.

Sort of like in this post on Not Always Right: http://notalwaysright.com/danica-says-eat-my-dust/2151
        Last edited by Feathertail; 07-14-2009, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
          i agree 104%

I am a man. I am a fit, sexy, man. And i like to cook.

bwhahahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            To anyone that thought I was being sexist with that news post, I apologize. I don't mean for any of that to be sexist or discriminatory in anyway. There are good male cooks and many of them at that, as with many female software engineers, etc.
            Maybe you could change the article then? It is very offensive

Comment

Originally posted by alexforcefive View Post
              I did notice the title changed! Many thanks to the person responsible.

Comment

Sheesh, would someone get a grip on reality...

_Most_ nerds, and by that I mean over 90% if not more, are men. I don't think the number is any different with Linuxusers, it might be even higher. This is neither sexist nor offending, it's reflecting reality. No reason to bash Phoronix for not being over politically correct, which is just ugly. There's a degree to which it _may_ be justified, but not here.

It's like saying black people are overrepresented in American jails. Is that racist, discriminatory? It's just stating the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by whaevr View Post
                  My god they've done it!

Linux really can make me a sandwich now! Well almost.

Take that windows, we're one step closer than you are.
                  http://xkcd.com/149/

Comment

lots of PC people here...

Comment

This reminds me so much of the story where you can install Debian on a microwave.

Comment

I really don't want to imagine food reviews on phoronix.

"Here's three pages of graphs generated by phoronix-test-suite, describing nutritional values, chemical composition as well as mass, density, conductivity and pulpiness of the food. We didn't bother testing how it tastes, though."

Comment

Naysayers!

It's a Phoronix-Media webs-ite. Michael made ONE post informing you about it. Big deal. Go cry in your pillow. Personally, if they launched 3 more web-sites all unrelated to tech I would wonder why they didn't advertise at first between each other. There's more to life than your Linux PC and I personally have to eat.

Quit'ch'yer bitchin'

Comment

subtitute wife with significant other.
                            fixed!

Comment

LOL, since the moment I saw the title I knew it would be changed, it was crying for a change. I was surprised it lasted more than a minute there.

Comment

Originally posted by alexforcefive View Post
                                And some people are just overly sensitive. My wife for one thought it was a great "tongue in cheek". Certainly no more offensive than many of the average headlines on the cover of many women targeted magazines.

Comment

Working...
                                X