Win $500 USD From Phoronix, Take Our Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mycroes View Post
    There are lots of technological sites that don't have the stupid annoying ads phoronix has.
    And which ads are those? Any ads that are irrelevant, flashy, or annoying I gladly block.

Originally posted by mycroes View Post
    I still like the articles on phoronix, but that's really it. So if phoronix will mess up article content too, I guess there's not much here for people to go to anymore.
    Well, most people don't go to Phoronix with the intentions of checking out the newest advertisements on the site. They go to read the articles.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

If it wasn't for google targeted text ads, I might not know about system76. I'm probably going to buy my next machine from them.

Image and animation banner ads eat brain power, cpu power, and network bandwidth, and they can burn in hades. All of them.

Comment

Bitefight add

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        And which ads are those? Any ads that are irrelevant, flashy, or annoying I gladly block.
        The BiteFight ad? I've seen some of those mmorpg ads on phoronix too I think... Also, the script that adds the mouseover popups to some words is incredibly annoying, especially if you move the mousecursor with everything you read (luckily AdBlock also stops this monstrosity).
        Regards,

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Or you could just whitelist Phoronix.com in AdBlock
          What the fuck? Why would I do that? I block ads for a reason, and before adblock was around I mentally filtered ads anyway. The louder something screams, the more I'll ignore it.

Michael, you're being a <australianism>tosser</australianism> about this whole "asking people to chug down ads that aren't even served by phoronix". Google text ads are good, but not good enough for me to go in and specifically exempt from an extension that just plugs into my browser and does everything.

Then you go off and accuse people of stealing when they're technically incapable of viewing the ads you don't even serve? That is NOT "Good Business Sense"...

And these aren't just your run-of-the-mill drop-by casual browsers, these are returning members that actually ADD value to the site! How much less would the site be worth if the forums went dead? All that content for FREE - we should be asking Phoronix for a commission on our posts.

Having said that, I just went and paid for a subscription. That's AU$50 for something that's sold as a way to stop seeing ads. Which I don't see. And you've previously asked people to go to some sort of effort to see.

The main technical reason I got it is to get the full-page articles, which I think is nice. The main warm-and-fuzzy reason I got it is to support the site and the forums. It's cool having the AMD guys there (you have Bridgman to thank for a lot of that), and there's a lot of value throughout it.

But being hostile to the people that form a part of that isn't cool, so STFU about the ads. Adblock is Good, and people that use it tend to be orders of magnitude less affected by ads anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
            But being hostile to the people that form a part of that isn't cool, so STFU about the ads. Adblock is Good, and people that use it tend to be orders of magnitude less affected by ads anyway.
            Well, I am sorry, but I just don't like seeing people blocking ads when they are needed for the survival of Phoronix. When margins are as tight as they are right now, and the CPMs dropping with these economic conditions, every impression does count.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Question: do the bulk of story views/forum views come from logged-in returning users?

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
                Question: do the bulk of story views/forum views come from logged-in returning users?
                A majority of the article views come from those that are not logged into the forums. Granted, that should not be surprising since there are only 18k total members on the forums, but there are millions of impressions per month.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Filled it out and submitted it. With the exception of the ad in the first post of every thread they generally don't bother me. Lesser of two evils, deal with a few ads and at least help out a bit financially to a resource I regularly use or start looking for a site that tries to be as useful without the same ads which is pretty hard to find.

Comment

us&canada only - I call that discrimination. Like always. So not impressed.

Comment

Actually its not discrimination, its racism.

What phoronix has ads?

Comment

Working...
                      X