Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoronix Relaunch!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I'm interested in the possibility of having both phoronix.net and phoronix.com point to the same location as well. In my case, and most likely many others, I hardly even realize there is new content on the home page because I'm always coming directly to the forum (phoronix.net). If it seems like this wouldn't work for the best, then maybe there could be a subforum where a thread is created for each new article posted on the home page, so that it would be easy to know when new content is added. Having every person who visits Phoronix see the same thing on the first page that is loaded may not be a bad idea though, since it's not obvious that to domains exist and give different views into the community.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
      I'm interested in the possibility of having both phoronix.net and phoronix.com point to the same location as well. In my case, and most likely many others, I hardly even realize there is new content on the home page because I'm always coming directly to the forum (phoronix.net). If it seems like this wouldn't work for the best, then maybe there could be a subforum where a thread is created for each new article posted on the home page, so that it would be easy to know when new content is added. Having every person who visits Phoronix see the same thing on the first page that is loaded may not be a bad idea though, since it's not obvious that to domains exist and give different views into the community.
      A sub-forum could be an easy possibility... Heck maybe I'll implement one this afternoon through RSS.

      With the new site, when going to any Phoronix.com page there will also be an area that will list recent posts and threads on the Phoronix Forums -- to result in greater interaction between the two locations.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by joshuapurcell View Post
        I'm interested in the possibility of having both phoronix.net and phoronix.com point to the same location as well. In my case, and most likely many others, I hardly even realize there is new content on the home page because I'm always coming directly to the forum (phoronix.net). If it seems like this wouldn't work for the best, then maybe there could be a subforum where a thread is created for each new article posted on the home page, so that it would be easy to know when new content is added. Having every person who visits Phoronix see the same thing on the first page that is loaded may not be a bad idea though, since it's not obvious that to domains exist and give different views into the community.
        http://www.phoronix.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

        Is this what you were thinking?
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #24
          Also, next year we are looking at launching audio and/or video Linux podcasts at Phoronix.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Also, next year we are looking at launching audio and/or video Linux podcasts at Phoronix.
            Now that'll be sweet. I love podcasts .

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Exactly what I was thinking. Now it's easy to tell when new stories come in to the front page even if your first entry into Phoronix is the forums... good job.

              Comment


              • #27
                Ideas

                I think it would be nice if there were more feature and benchmark comparisons on graphics hardware reviews.

                For example, how does a 965G do versus a 7200TC or 7300TC (hardware that is very common on laptops too)? And are they slower or faster running on
                windows than on linux? What about battery usage?

                With current reviews I can't really get an idea of the features and performance of different chips.

                But, anyway, thanks for the great work so far.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
                  I think it would be nice if there were more feature and benchmark comparisons on graphics hardware reviews.

                  For example, how does a 965G do versus a 7200TC or 7300TC (hardware that is very common on laptops too)? And are they slower or faster running on
                  windows than on linux? What about battery usage?

                  With current reviews I can't really get an idea of the features and performance of different chips.

                  But, anyway, thanks for the great work so far.

                  That is one of the things we will be working on is expanding the test selection.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    First screenshot of the current development build of the new Phoronix site is @ http://www.michaellarabel.com/index.php?k=blog&i=162
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      One of the areas that hasn't yet been addressed is how Phoronix LCH will fall into play with everything else. To see LCH become more beneficial it needs to be integrated more with Phoronix and the forums. All of the LCH entries are stored in a PHXCMS XML format, so I can easily write a shim for vBulletin so that it is capable of interfacing with Phoronix LCH so ultimately you could use your Phoronix Forums account to add LCH entries and then comment on its support using the vBulletin system, etc... So essentially it looks like we could be marrying vBulletin with PHXCMS-6 with Phoronix LCH.

                      I'll be trying out some things on the forums shortly with this vBulletin + PHXCMS integration. Comments welcome.

                      EDIT: Some very basic integration @ http://www.phoronix.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
                      Last edited by Michael; 04-13-2007, 10:30 AM.
                      Michael Larabel
                      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X