Project: Phoronix LCH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project: Phoronix LCH!

Yet another Phoronix project is starting to take form and will hopefully be officially unveiled towards the end of July or early August... Forum users simply get a sneak-peak for now. We don't believe anything like this has yet existed, so please bear with us as we work out the initial bugs and begin to add additional features. For the time being, this project is being referred to as "Phoronix LCH".

What Phoronix LCH basically boils down to is an organized community system that will ultimately show what works and what doesn't when it comes to Linux hardware compatibility. There are a few organized lists for some specific distributions available, but we believe this will be the first wide-spread system to distribute this type of information. Sure, you can use Google and try multiple search queries to attempt to find some information on forums or mailing list of users talking about how a specific piece of hardware works with Linux (or wait for a Phoronix review to appear ), but we are attempting to make this process much easier for end-users and provide it in a more organized fashion. Phoronix LCH will be community-driven and accepts public hardware entries and compatibility comments. Below is a blurb from the project page.

Phoronix LCH is designed to be a community-driven indexing system for computer hardware under Linux. This system allows you to post Linux information on hardware, as well as sharing your own personal experiences when it comes to Linux compatibility. You are also able to browse and search the database for other hardware as well. This is designed to make it much more effortless when deciding what Linux compatible hardware to go with during your next upgrade. Phoronix LCH is not distribution specific, and allows comments from all versions of Linux. Phoronix LCH is basically designed to share what works and what doesn't when it comes to hardware under Linux.
    Already active on the temporary page for Phoronix LCH is a working system, which shows all available hardware entries, allows you to browse the entries, search the entries, and several other features. We also have a few additional (and exciting) features for this system that we hope to roll out soon. Stay tuned .

With this sort of concept basically being uncharted waters, we certainly welcome any feedback, etc... Currently in the database are a few entries made for demonstration purposes, however, we invite you to begin entering your own hardware experiences.

Most of the major bugs in this program should already be stomped, however, if you see any issues please let us know. Such bugs could include browser incompatibility, hardware device information formatting, user authentication problems, etc... Of the many things still being worked on include improving the user interface (possibly adding some nice graphical functions), improvements with the user verification and management of specific settings for registered users (Control Panel, as well as the implementation of sessions to prevent entering the username/password so often), etc... We also welcome any other ideas or suggestions you may have for improving the concept to better assist Linux users.

Phoronix LCH can be found @ http://www.phoronix.com/lch/

Keep in mind this system is still very much under development, so pardon the rough edges but basically at this point we are looking for any and all feedback. Thanks!

If this turns out to be a large enough success, and ultimately enough demand, we will be replicating the system for Solaris and FreeBSD users as well.

Feel free to discuss Phoronix LCH in this thread.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

This is a great idea. I've contemplated such an idea in the past. It's a big project but should pay off!

How long does it take to receive the welcome e-mail? It's been around a half hour and I haven't received it yet.

Comment

The message should be pretty much instant. Let me know if it shows up later, or in your junk mail or something. It should be from do-not-reply @ phoronix I haven't run into any mail problems yet.

Anyhow, your account has been manually activated.
      Michael Larabel

Comment

Thanks man. I will let you know if I receive the e-mail. I am actually checking it through webmail and don't have any spam protectors on.

First comments on it..

How about an edit button? I added an NVIDIA 7800GT but it should say eVGA instead of NVIDIA. Edit for the actual post and the comments would be nice. But obviously the product info should only be edited the originating poster or by you.

Maybe have a small guide inside each new entry that tells the user exactly what information should be there? I just took a stab, but hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Tis all. Looking good though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Williams
          Thanks man. I will let you know if I receive the e-mail. I am actually checking it through webmail and don't have any spam protectors on.

First comments on it..

How about an edit button? I added an NVIDIA 7800GT but it should say eVGA instead of NVIDIA. Edit for the actual post and the comments would be nice. But obviously the product info should only be edited the originating poster or by you.

Maybe have a small guide inside each new entry that tells the user exactly what information should be there? I just took a stab, but hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Tis all. Looking good though.
          Thanks. Yes, a edit button for users would be great, and am in the process on deciding its most effective implementation.

I intend to create some sort of "examples window" or something along those lines to help users decide on what information to submit.

Any other suggestions are always welcome.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Added a new "Systems" category for pre-built desktops and servers, similar to the notebook category.

Other improvements were made to the present public user page (example), as well as improvements to the search efficiency, and a few other random changes.

More to come soon!

- Front-page is also revised.
            Last edited by Michael; 30 June 2006, 11:56 PM.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

I really see no reason to separate the graphics cards based on their brand. Just about all of them, with a few rare exceptions follow either the ATI or nVidia reference designs and just have a third party sticker slapped on the hsf, and sometimes, a different hsf. The graphics card brand has no effect on the drivers that it uses, so all nVidia cards should be in the nVidia section, no matter what brand they are, and that should also apply to ATI. I'm rather confident that not only your evga 7800GT will work in linux, any 7800GT will also work, regardless of the brand. Separating the graphics cards based on brand will only add confusion and make the website a big mess.

--Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott
                I really see no reason to separate the graphics cards based on their brand. Just about all of them, with a few rare exceptions follow either the ATI or nVidia reference designs and just have a third party sticker slapped on the hsf, and sometimes, a different hsf. The graphics card brand has no effect on the drivers that it uses, so all nVidia cards should be in the nVidia section, no matter what brand they are, and that should also apply to ATI. I'm rather confident that not only your evga 7800GT will work in linux, any 7800GT will also work, regardless of the brand. Separating the graphics cards based on brand will only add confusion and make the website a big mess.

--Scott
                Correct, that was one of the areas I was thinking about. However, users should post their specific board manufacturer in the hardware notes section, or in their Linux compatibility comments.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Looks very good to me. One suggestion: I think all entries should have a mandatory kernel version field and an optional (but strongly recommended) kernel feature/module field. This is because specific hardware might work in kernel version X, but kernel version Y's driver for it might be broken. Also, it is equally important to point out which driver was used for evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadewalker
                    Looks very good to me. One suggestion: I think all entries should have a mandatory kernel version field and an optional (but strongly recommended) kernel feature/module field. This is because specific hardware might work in kernel version X, but kernel version Y's driver for it might be broken. Also, it is equally important to point out which driver was used for evaluation.
                    It was hoped that the user would specify that information in the Linux comment area, with the rest of their Linux compatibility comments, however, we will look into adding the driver/kernel field.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X