Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mplayer builds do not complete in suite tests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    For Me

    For me the problem is the -s or silent option in the time-compile-mplayer command. Just running the same commands that script does without timing gives me wild results sometimes works, sometimes dont. It is never silent. Running the script time-compile-mplayer without the -s option is silent anyway. I would guess that may be a make bug? Anyway silent or -s seems uneeded and since Michael assumed the -jX was the problem he fell back to -s which is problem no matter with or without the -j option. But just running with make -j5 gives me more real results. Seems to end with encoder or mencoder right?
    Anyway there's my 2 cents.

    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    OK, something really odd here.

    Whenever the mplayer compile test is ran from a suite such as

    ./phoronix-test-suite run universe
    or
    ./phoronix-test-suite run universe-cli
    or
    ./phoronix-test-suite run multicore

    I get the mplayer build not completing and giving false results like

    Code:
    
    ======================================
    Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
    ======================================
    
    MPlayer Build Time: 10.51 Seconds
    
    ====================================
    Timed MPlayer Compilation:
    Time To Compile
    
    10.51 Seconds
    
    Average: 10.51 Seconds
    ====================================
    If I run just the mplayer compilation test on it's own or in some other suites I get more realistic results.

    ./phoronix-test-suite run build-mplayer
    or
    ./phoronix-test-suite run compilation


    Code:
    ======================================
    Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
    ======================================
    
    MPlayer Build Time: 85.05 Seconds
    
    ====================================
    Timed MPlayer Compilation:
    
    85.05 Seconds
    
    Average: 85.05 Seconds
    ====================================
    
    dean@linux:~/phoronix-test-suite>
    This is with using a clean install of the suite .7 version. All other tests complete fine and give realistic results. It's just mplayer in certain suites.

    Comment


    • #22
      For Me

      For me the problem is the -s or silent option in the time-compile-mplayer command. Just running the same commands that script does without timing gives me wild results sometimes works, sometimes dont. It is never silent. Running the script time-compile-mplayer without the -s option is silent anyway. I would guess that may be a make bug? Anyway silent or -s seems uneeded and since Michael assumed the -jX was the problem he fell back to -s which is problem no matter with or without the -j option. But just running with make -j5 gives me more real results. Seems to end with encoder or mencoder right?
      Anyway there's my 2 cents.

      Edit: Yes sometimes the time-compile-mplayer would work but for me it was completly random but it I just ran phoronix-test-suite run build-mplayer it seemed to work more than not. Where like compile or multicore would fail more than not evem though it is first in all those I belive.


      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      OK, something really odd here.

      Whenever the mplayer compile test is ran from a suite such as

      ./phoronix-test-suite run universe
      or
      ./phoronix-test-suite run universe-cli
      or
      ./phoronix-test-suite run multicore

      I get the mplayer build not completing and giving false results like

      Code:
      
      ======================================
      Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
      ======================================
      
      MPlayer Build Time: 10.51 Seconds
      
      ====================================
      Timed MPlayer Compilation:
      Time To Compile
      
      10.51 Seconds
      
      Average: 10.51 Seconds
      ====================================
      If I run just the mplayer compilation test on it's own or in some other suites I get more realistic results.

      ./phoronix-test-suite run build-mplayer
      or
      ./phoronix-test-suite run compilation


      Code:
      ======================================
      Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
      ======================================
      
      MPlayer Build Time: 85.05 Seconds
      
      ====================================
      Timed MPlayer Compilation:
      
      85.05 Seconds
      
      Average: 85.05 Seconds
      ====================================
      
      dean@linux:~/phoronix-test-suite>
      This is with using a clean install of the suite .7 version. All other tests complete fine and give realistic results. It's just mplayer in certain suites.

      Comment


      • #23
        Ok something else , if I run the commands manually from
        time-compile-mplayer (without the -s ) it works consistantly.

        If I run the script without the -s it fails the second time
        consistantly. Almost as if it is not really doing the
        rm -rf MPlayer-1.0rc2/
        so it is not a clean
        install. Indeed if I run the time-compile-mplayer script then go
        in and do a make clean then run it again it works everytime.
        I know this is NOT true cause if I throw in a make clean when it changes dirs then it errors out cause there is nothing to clean.

        I would say this is impossible. What are the odds? 100% I guess.

        Anyway the commands work manually but not in the script, timing issue?



        Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        What does seem to cure the issue is having the mplayer compilation being the first test ran.

        Code:
        dean@linux:~/phoronix-test-suite> ./phoronix-test-suite run universe-cli
        
        Would you like to save these benchmark results (Y/n)? y
        Enter a name to save these results: y
        Enter a unique identifier for distinguishing this series of tests: attop
        
        ====================================
        Universe-cli Test Suite
        ====================================
        
        
        Running Universe-cli Test Suite...
        
        
        ======================================
        Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
        ======================================
        
        MPlayer Build Time: 84.22 Seconds
        
        ====================================
        Timed MPlayer Compilation:
        Time To Compile
        
        84.22 Seconds
        
        Average: 84.22 Seconds
        ====================================
        
        ^C
        dean@linux:~/phoronix-test-suite> ./phoronix-test-suite run universe-cli
        
        Would you like to save these benchmark results (Y/n)? y
        Enter a name to save these results: run2
        Enter a unique identifier for distinguishing this series of tests: run2
        
        ====================================
        Universe-cli Test Suite
        ====================================
        
        
        Running Universe-cli Test Suite...
        
        
        ======================================
        Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
        ======================================
        
        MPlayer Build Time: 86.06 Seconds
        
        ====================================
        Timed MPlayer Compilation:
        Time To Compile
        
        86.06 Seconds
        
        Average: 86.06 Seconds
        ====================================
        
        ^C
        dean@linux:~/phoronix-test-suite>

        Comment


        • #24
          Running universe-cli I get similar problems:
          I'm also getting similar problems with build-php and build imagemagick. It just seems to be way too quick on some boxes. A single core opteron box beat a quad core xeon tigerton box by 50 seconds!

          I think i've got the same issue, On a dual netburst Xeon (dell 1850) PTS 0.7 I get :

          ======================================
          Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
          ======================================

          MPlayer Build Time: 20.82 Seconds

          ====================================
          Timed MPlayer Compilation:
          Time To Compile

          20.82 Seconds

          Average: 20.82 Seconds
          ====================================
          Build-php and build-imagmagick give perfectly reasonable results.

          and on a dell 1950mk3 dual harpertown (latest phorogit at the time 22/05) I get:

          ======================================
          Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
          ======================================

          MPlayer Build Time: 3.31 Seconds

          ====================================
          Timed MPlayer Compilation:
          Time To Compile

          3.31 Seconds

          Average: 3.31 Seconds
          ====================================


          ====================================
          Timed PHP Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
          ====================================

          configure: warning: You will need re2c 0.12.0 or later if you want to regenerate PHP parsers.
          configure: warning: lemon versions supported for regeneration of libsqlite parsers: 1.0 (found: none).
          PHP Build Time: 26.99 Seconds

          ====================================
          Timed PHP Compilation:
          Time To Compile

          26.99 Seconds

          Average: 26.99 Seconds
          ====================================


          ====================================
          ImageMagick Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
          ====================================

          ImageMagick Build Time: 1.53 Seconds

          ====================================
          ImageMagick Compilation:
          Time To Compile

          1.53 Seconds

          Average: 1.53 Seconds
          ====================================
          Running just build-mplayer still gives a silly result

          ======================================
          Timed MPlayer Compilation (Run 1 of 1)
          ======================================

          MPlayer Build Time: 3.27 Seconds

          ====================================
          Timed MPlayer Compilation:

          3.27 Seconds

          Average: 3.27 Seconds
          ====================================

          Comment


          • #25
            I think I'll be dropping mplayer in favor of another program, until those mplayer issues are sorted out... Anyone have a particular request for its replacement?
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #26
              apache could always build vlc if you want to keep the media app thing..? I don't know how big it is. Ideally the bigger the better I think...

              Comment


              • #27
                A C++ app would be nice.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by lordmozilla View Post
                  apache could always build vlc if you want to keep the media app thing..? I don't know how big it is. Ideally the bigger the better I think...

                  I think you want to stay away from a project that uses alot of external deps. IIRC VLC has quite a few maybe, perhaps, just ffmpeg.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    In git the -s argument is dropped on build-mplayer to see if it fixes that. I also added in a build-apache test.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      In git the -s argument is dropped on build-mplayer to see if it fixes that. I also added in a build-apache test.
                      I already tried that Michael, it doesn't help. Another project that builds fine without alot of deps is postgresql.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X