Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phorogit - How to check out a stable release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phorogit - How to check out a stable release?

Hi,
    I'm maintaining PTS with some additions in a company. I've figured out enough about git to pull updates and merge them to my branches, however...
    Assuming I want to get something like the latest stable version of PTS with my custom addons - I noticed some branches on phorogit, but all those seem to relate to old versions, so I'm assuming the stable released version is a particular commit in the master branch - is this correct?
    Are the stable releases tagged in any way? I followed several howto's to get list of remote tags, and never managed to get any. If they aren't, how do I check out, for example, version 4.4.1?

Originally posted by myxal View Post
    Hi,
    I'm maintaining PTS with some additions in a company. I've figured out enough about git to pull updates and merge them to my branches, however...
    Assuming I want to get something like the latest stable version of PTS with my custom addons - I noticed some branches on phorogit, but all those seem to relate to old versions, so I'm assuming the stable released version is a particular commit in the master branch - is this correct?
    Are the stable releases tagged in any way? I followed several howto's to get list of remote tags, and never managed to get any. If they aren't, how do I check out, for example, version 4.4.1?
    Hmmm, lately I've been forgetting about branching some of the releases; since generally there isn't too much that goes into the one (or none) point releases each cycle. Otherwise from the Git history you should be able to find the commits to branch from. With the upcoming 4.6 release I'll be sure to do a branch, I wasn't aware anyone actively wanting to use the branches.

Would any of the custom addons be applicable for upstreaming? Any contributions are welcome.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Hmmm, lately I've been forgetting about branching some of the releases; since generally there isn't too much that goes into the one (or none) point releases each cycle. Otherwise from the Git history you should be able to find the commits to branch from. With the upcoming 4.6 release I'll be sure to do a branch, I wasn't aware anyone actively wanting to use the branches.
      Actually, I'm merely seeking some extra convenience. Anything that makes checking out the current stable release easier, be it a branch, or tag, is welcome.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Would any of the custom addons be applicable for upstreaming? Any contributions are welcome.
      Depends if you're interested. There are some very minor fixes relating to PTS usage on OS X, then mostly new sensors or OS X support for 1 or 2 existing sensors. Don't have the tree with me ATM, I'll try to get back to you with more details.

On a related note, I found that a lot of the interesting stuff for possible new sensors in both OS X and Linux is available to root only. So far I've done some benchmarks on OS X only, so the commands used byt the sensor implementation have hardcoded sudo, paired with additions to sudoers file to allow these commands to be executed without password prompt. I've done the additions to sudoers file manually and don't have a way perform them automatically at install time.

Would you be interested in such sensors? I know little about packaging software for Linux and am not sure if such modifications are allowed for a package-installation script.

Comment

Depends if you're interested. There are some very minor fixes relating to PTS usage on OS X, then mostly new sensors or OS X support for 1 or 2 existing sensors. Don't have the tree with me ATM, I'll try to get back to you with more details.

On a related note, I found that a lot of the interesting stuff for possible new sensors in both OS X and Linux is available to root only. So far I've done some benchmarks on OS X only, so the commands used byt the sensor implementation have hardcoded sudo, paired with additions to sudoers file to allow these commands to be executed without password prompt. I've done the additions to sudoers file manually and don't have a way perform them automatically at install time.

Would you be interested in such sensors? I know little about packaging software for Linux and am not sure if such modifications are allowed for a package-installation script.
        I'm always interested in supporting more sensors. If seeing the patches I can at least evaluate the ways to streamline them so they are suitable for mainline integration. Right now the sensors/commands that can only be run as root check and see if it's root before execution and if so it will execute otherwise it will look for a fallback path.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Right. So here are the two simple fixes:
          (Diffs are against 81d8384 - two commits after 4.4.1, which I've merged into my branch)
          Code:
          diff --git a/install-sh b/install-sh
          index 9ecc2c8..aad655d 100755
          --- a/install-sh
          +++ b/install-sh
          @@ -73,7 +73,7 @@ cp pts-core/static/phoronix-test-suite.desktop $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/app
           cp pts-core/static/phoronix-test-suite-launcher.desktop $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/applications/

rm -f $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts/etc/scripts/package-build-*
          -cp -r pts-core/ $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/
          +cp -r pts-core $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/
           rm -f $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/static/phoronix-test-suite.desktop
           rm -f $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/static/phoronix-test-suite-launcher.desktop
           rm -f $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/openbenchmarking.org/openbenchmarking-mime.xml
          diff --git a/pts-core/objects/phodevi/sensors/cpu_freq.php b/pts-core/objects/phodevi/sensors/cpu_freq.php
          index 922a327..8db48c2 100644
          --- a/pts-core/objects/phodevi/sensors/cpu_freq.php
          +++ b/pts-core/objects/phodevi/sensors/cpu_freq.php
          @@ -77,10 +77,10 @@ class cpu_freq implements phodevi_sensor
           		else if(phodevi::is_macosx())
           		{
           			$info = phodevi_osx_parser::read_osx_system_profiler('SPHardwareDataType', 'ProcessorSpeed');
          -		
           			if(($cut_point = strpos($info, ' ')) > 0)
           			{
           				$info = substr($info, 0, $cut_point);
          +				$info = str_replace(',', '.', $info);
           			}
           		}
          Do I just paste the large-ish patches here, or do you prefer some other method? Pastebin or the like?

Comment

Right. So here are the two simple fixes:
            (Diffs are against 81d8384 - two commits after 4.4.1, which I've merged into my branch)
            Code:
            diff --git a/install-sh b/install-sh
            index 9ecc2c8..aad655d 100755
            --- a/install-sh
            +++ b/install-sh
            @@ -73,7 +73,7 @@ cp pts-core/static/phoronix-test-suite.desktop $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/app
             cp pts-core/static/phoronix-test-suite-launcher.desktop $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/applications/

rm -f $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts/etc/scripts/package-build-*
            -cp -r pts-core/ $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/
            +cp -r pts-core $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/
             rm -f $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/static/phoronix-test-suite.desktop
             rm -f $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/static/phoronix-test-suite-launcher.desktop
             rm -f $DESTDIR$INSTALL_PREFIX/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/openbenchmarking.org/openbenchmarking-mime.xml
            diff --git a/pts-core/objects/phodevi/sensors/cpu_freq.php b/pts-core/objects/phodevi/sensors/cpu_freq.php
            index 922a327..8db48c2 100644
            --- a/pts-core/objects/phodevi/sensors/cpu_freq.php
            +++ b/pts-core/objects/phodevi/sensors/cpu_freq.php
            @@ -77,10 +77,10 @@ class cpu_freq implements phodevi_sensor
                     else if(phodevi::is_macosx())
                     {
                         $info = phodevi_osx_parser::read_osx_system_profiler('SPHardwareDataType', 'ProcessorSpeed');
            -        
                         if(($cut_point = strpos($info, ' ')) > 0)
                         {
                             $info = substr($info, 0, $cut_point);
            +                $info = str_replace(',', '.', $info);
                         }
                     }
            Do I just paste the large-ish patches here, or do you prefer some other method? Pastebin or the like?
            Thanks, patch looks straightforward and will get it merged. Posting here is fine or for anything non-public email michael at phoronix.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Have you been able to evaluate any other patches yet for upstreaming? Thanks.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
              X