Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Week With OpenBenchmarking.org

Phoronix: A Week With OpenBenchmarking.org

OpenBenchmarking.org has now been live for just under one week since launching it (and Phoronix Test Suite 3.0) from the Southern California Linux Expo when talking about making more informed Linux hardware choices. Here's some statistics on how it's going...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My biggest complaint about the site is that the search via product model (eg 6870) still is very frustrating to use to find results.( And the results "mush" together on the returned hits).

Comment

I am not able to browse the site properly with rekonq (webkit): the result graphs are simply not displayed, and the text appears messed up. I would be great if you could fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by kbios View Post
        I am not able to browse the site properly with rekonq (webkit): the result graphs are simply not displayed, and the text appears messed up. I would be great if you could fix this.

Are they using a very outdated version of WebKit that lacks (or contains broken) SVG support?
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well, it's reported as AppleWebKit/533.3 (the default in kubuntu 10.10). The test http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MAN.../svg_tests.php seems to work fine.

Comment

how to

I looked at this web and all I can say is that looks exactly like if it was made by programmer. Sections of the page are divided by inner concepts of application itself (profiles, tests) that new visitor have no idea how to translate into something meaningful. Desperately missing is some how-to on the front page, to explain what to do and how to run/see/compare benchmarks.

Comment

feature request

Woudl be really cool to:
              1) have some sort of feedback on devices, like, if item worked out of box(user who filled report can fill it in noneobligatory way) It would be seen what distro supports device out of the box, if it requires binary drivers, etc.
              2) Perhaps there could be comparison of some kind based on price.(I know it is hard part, and i know you probably though of that idea, but it is too good not to mention here).
              Lets say, Apache test, for sys admins, will compare different models/makes of CPU and can give some sort for an advice based on performance/price, possibly energy consumption. I know that would definitely be hard, but that would make this test suit far superior to anything out there!

There should be additional revenue, that will be generated from sites that provide their prices to Phoronix Suit in the first place

Comment

Se, let's say I want to find the best performing distro for my hardware (GPU+CPU mainly), how can I search for that?

Maybe adding a FAQ on how to use the site would help.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                  2) Perhaps there could be comparison of some kind based on price.(I know it is hard part, and i know you probably though of that idea, but it is too good not to mention here).
                  Lets say, Apache test, for sys admins, will compare different models/makes of CPU and can give some sort for an advice based on performance/price, possibly energy consumption. I know that would definitely be hard, but that would make this test suit far superior to anything out there!

There should be additional revenue, that will be generated from sites that provide their prices to Phoronix Suit in the first place
                  There is already that, see: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...IV-FIREPROTE51

It auto detects what's being compared and then generates like:

Graphics Comparison:

1. ATI FirePro V8750 (FireGL) 2048MB (750/900MHz)
                  2. ATI FirePro V8700 (FireGL) 1024MB (750/850MHz)
                  3. ATI FirePro V7800 (FireGL) 2048MB (700/1000MHz)
                  4. ATI FirePro V5800 (FireGL) 1024MB (690/1000MHz)
                  5. ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL) 1024MB (775/900MHz)

1. ~ $1306 USD
                  2. ~ $500 USD
                  3. ~ $610 USD
                  4. ~ $1726 USD
                  5. ~ $163 USD

1. [Shop: Amazon]
                  2. [Shop: Amazon]
                  3. [Shop: Amazon]
                  4. [Shop: Amazon]
                  5. [Shop: Amazon]
                  Well the formatting broke there but you get the point. And from the Analyze tab you can then ' Price Comparison' to compare price per performance for the benchmarks.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I did my homework

Sorry Michael, not that I didn't do my home work, i tried the last benchmark, but had some issue with some PHP related library, which wouldn't allow me to install necessary libraries required for application itself. Basically I remembered previous tests, and i don't remember those options or i didn't pay attention to them, as purpose of benchmarking back than was not to compare my hardware to others, but rather to compare older machine i had to one after upgrade.

Though I am very glad about features your benchmark is offering. I shall be paying them more attention, when I shall choose new hardware. Though, I probably will not be able to take major advantage here, as I am not based in states, and that's where probably "price" feature is aimed at...

Comment

Working...
                    X