Installer errors & disk benchmarking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installer errors & disk benchmarking

I want to find the best filesystem for my Acer Aspire One's pathetically slow 16 GB ssd, so it might just become useable again. For example, firefox's database brings browsing to a halt. I made ext4, ext3, ext2, jfs, reiserfs, & xfs partitions, all with noatime. I want to benchmark each partition.

1st problem:
    I tried to install a disk test suite with pts but I got "installer exited with a non-zero exit status"
    The log file is very long & I'm unable to decipher it. Suffice to say there are lots of errors (table has no member named... expected ')' before '*' token... etc...)
    I'm using ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 with just the base system install (no gnome/kde/...). I installed pts from the repository along with its dependencies.
    What went wrong?

What test specifically were you installing when it got the error?
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

phoronix-test-suite install disk

Thanks for the help Michael,
      I wanted to install a suite of tests to find which disk partition gave the best performance so I typed (with sudo too, but that didn't help)

phoronix-test-suite install disk

which had pts download sqlite & try to install, fail, then try to install the next test, & so on until I killed it.

Comment

Huh, I reinstalled ubuntu, with the netbook packages this time, & the test suite is installing as it should.

Now I have /dev/sda1,5,6,7,8,9 for ext4,3,2,reiserfs,jfs,xfs respectively & want to run the disk test suite on each of these partitions & then compare the results.

I have some trouble following the online docs. It guess I should type:
        phoronix-test-suite run disk /dev/sda1 (then 5,6,... once it finishes the first)
        Any guidance is much appreciated.

Comment

The easiest way -- so that it applies to all tests -- is to modify the EnvironmentDirectory location in ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml to point to the different drive you wish to test each time.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            The easiest way -- so that it applies to all tests -- is to modify the EnvironmentDirectory location in ~/.phoronix-test-suite/user-config.xml to point to the different drive you wish to test each time.

can you provide an example of how this might look say for 2 devices?

Comment

In what regard? You can only point it to one mounted directory at a time.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                In what regard? You can only point it to one mounted directory at a time.

OK, 1 drive /partition at a time

you mention editing the EnvironmentDirectory section in user-config.xml

the section I found looks like this so I don't understand what change I would need to make to the file to access the desired partition.

and do I want the device name ie: /dev/sdc1 or the mounted folder, in my case /media/compaqarray1

<Installation>
                <RemoveDownloadFiles>FALSE</RemoveDownloadFiles>
                <SearchMediaForCache>TRUE</SearchMediaForCache>
                <SymLinkFilesFromCache>FALSE</SymLinkFilesFromCache>
                <PromptForDownloadMirror>FALSE</PromptForDownloadMirror>
                <EnvironmentDirectory>
                ~/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/
                </EnvironmentDirectory>
                <CacheDirectory>
                ~/.phoronix-test-suite/download-cache/
                </CacheDirectory>
                </Installation>

Comment

Change:

<EnvironmentDirectory>
                  ~/.phoronix-test-suite/installed-tests/
                  </EnvironmentDirectory>

To:

<EnvironmentDirectory>
                  /media/compaqarray1/
                  </EnvironmentDirectory>
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

I tried this and PTY still accesses the / drive (sda1)
                    btw: DO I want to run as a local user or su?

I tried deleting .Phoronix-test-suite and rerunning.

In doing so I am presented with the following

Test Target:

1: Default Test Directory
                    2: /media/500gb [/dev/sdb1]
                    3: /media/areca2 [/dev/sdb2]
                    4: /media/areca3 [/dev/sdc1]
                    5: Test All Options

Except I want to test the compaq arrays, listed below

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d0: 1452.4 GB, 1452437144064 bytes
                    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 176582 cylinders
                    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
                    Disk identifier: 0x000e796f

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                    /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 1 176582 1418394883+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/cciss/c0d1: 109.2 GB, 109252608000 bytes
                    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 13282 cylinders
                    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
                    Disk identifier: 0x8ecde359

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                    /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 * 1 13282 106687633+ 42 SFS

Comment

disregard above, comment

I reedit the root's version of user-config.xml and now I get an error message not enough disk space.

so 40 gig free isn't enough ?

Comment

I also get disk space errors if I specify the mounted folder location or device name
                        /media/compaq1 <> /dev/cciss/c0d0p1
                        /media/compaq2 <> /dev/cciss/c0d1p1

df reports
                        Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 1418318620 1299431244 118887376 92% /media/compaq1
                        /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 106687484 62093148 44594336 59% /media/compaq2

Comment

here is a screen copy of what's happening when trying to run against /dev.....

#phoronix-test-suite benchmark disk
                          PHP Warning: mkdir(): File exists in /usr/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/library/pts-functions_basic.php on line 63

========================================
                          12 Tests To Be Installed
                          Estimated Download Size: 82.91 MB
                          Estimated Install Size: 401.4 MB
                          ========================================

PHP Warning: disk_free_space(): Not a directory in /usr/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/library/pts-includes-install.php on line 403

================================================== =================
                          There is not enough space at /dev/cciss/c0d1p1/ for the test files.

PHP Warning: disk_free_space(): Not a directory in /usr/share/phoronix-test-suite/pts-core/library/pts-includes-install.php on line 403

Multiple tests are not installed:

- sqlite
                          - pgbench
                          - compilebench
                          - iozone
                          - dbench
                          - fs-mark
                          - fio
                          - tiobench
                          - postmark
                          - aio-stress
                          - unpack-linux

To install, run: phoronix-test-suite install sqlite pgbench compilebench iozone dbench fs-mark fio tiobench postmark aio-stress unpack-linux

Would you like to install these tests now (Y/n)?

Comment

Do not run against /dev/ but only the mounted folder, that is all that will work. In regards to that prompt you mentioned on the previous page, that is specific to just one test, I believe the sqlite test profile, and is not supported by all other test profiles.

What happens when you specify the mounted path? It still gives no space available? Do you have a trailing slash on the directory name?
                            Michael Larabel

Comment

I forgot the darn trailing slash.
                              And yes it appears to be working now.

Sorry for all the dumb questions...

Is any of this documented some place?

If not I'd I would mind making the additions for the next person that has the same issues...

Comment

Working...
                              X