• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    what a shit kde4 theme.
    lol

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      I'm somewhat interested to see how the Nvidia propietary drivers score on Win7 vs. Linux. The recent interview suggested that they share 90+% of their code between platforms, and I'd love to see how well that actually is working for Nvidia with respect to cross-platform performance (and if there's any inherent bottlenecks in X or Windows).

I've seen Wine benchmarks in the past that suggest that Wine+Linux can actually run windows applications faster than windows itself (I believe it was some of Anandtech's recent coverage, might've been TechReport). I could see using PTS to comparatively benchmark a few windows game demos against Wine+Demos in PTS (or full versions of the game if there's legal issues running benchmarks on demo versions of said games).
      yea, this is due to GCC being a worse optimizing compiler compared to VC++. I'll bet the drivers are affected by this as well. Also, firefox+Wine used to be faster than native linux firefox. don't know if that's still the case

Comment

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
        yea, this is due to GCC being a worse optimizing compiler compared to VC++. I'll bet the drivers are affected by this as well. Also, firefox+Wine used to be faster than native linux firefox. don't know if that's still the case
        Sadly it still remains true.

Comment

Looking forward to this, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Sadly it still remains true.
            don't think it's that sad, as I imagine a lot of effort goes into MSVC. But, it is important for linux's compilers to improve, as this will benefit every project.

Comment

Fantastic work. This will be great for comparing comparing posix operating systems to windows7 and will serve to either highlight posix superiority or underline where we can improve.

Simply awesome work.

Comment

I'm somewhat interested to see how the Nvidia propietary drivers score on Win7 vs. Linux.
                I made some tests on win2k vs. linux with doom3 on a 7600GT back then. Linux was about 2-3 fps slower. Of course PTS could give some more varied on more current results - as well as results in other areas than GPU drivers.

Doesn't seem to hold for mobile chips though, my linux performance was significantly worse than windows performance on them.

I've seen Wine benchmarks in the past that suggest that Wine+Linux can actually run windows applications faster than windows itself
                Depends on the application. Some parts of Linux are in fact faster, even when mangled through an API wrapper. Others are slower. It's just a matter of picking an application that heavily uses the right APIs to draw any conclusion you like.

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
                Also, firefox+Wine used to be faster than native linux firefox. don't know if that's still the case
                still is, because firefox on linux often isn't compiled with PGO (Profile Guided Optimization). Most distributions don't care about the added work of automating profiling & recompiling, and last time I checked there were no official linux binaries with PGO.
                Enabling PGO gives roughly ~10% performance, about the difference between windows & linux builds.

It's not that gcc is worse (as garytr24 suggested), it's just that PGO often isn't used because it's not trivial to do in an automated way.

Comment

What language is Phoronix Test Suite written in?

(Yes, I'm lazy by not searching it, as it's probably mentioned somewhere)

Comment

Originally posted by kersurk View Post
                    What language is Phoronix Test Suite written in?

(Yes, I'm lazy by not searching it, as it's probably mentioned somewhere)
                    The bulk of pts-core is written in PHP5.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Good job though ...

still ... chunks ... I'll be back later.

Comment

Working...
                      X