No announcement yet.

They Say A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic work. This will be great for comparing comparing posix operating systems to windows7 and will serve to either highlight posix superiority or underline where we can improve.

Simply awesome work.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      I'm somewhat interested to see how the Nvidia propietary drivers score on Win7 vs. Linux.
      I made some tests on win2k vs. linux with doom3 on a 7600GT back then. Linux was about 2-3 fps slower. Of course PTS could give some more varied on more current results - as well as results in other areas than GPU drivers.

Doesn't seem to hold for mobile chips though, my linux performance was significantly worse than windows performance on them.

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      I've seen Wine benchmarks in the past that suggest that Wine+Linux can actually run windows applications faster than windows itself
      Depends on the application. Some parts of Linux are in fact faster, even when mangled through an API wrapper. Others are slower. It's just a matter of picking an application that heavily uses the right APIs to draw any conclusion you like.

Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
      Also, firefox+Wine used to be faster than native linux firefox. don't know if that's still the case
      still is, because firefox on linux often isn't compiled with PGO (Profile Guided Optimization). Most distributions don't care about the added work of automating profiling & recompiling, and last time I checked there were no official linux binaries with PGO.
      Enabling PGO gives roughly ~10% performance, about the difference between windows & linux builds.

It's not that gcc is worse (as garytr24 suggested), it's just that PGO often isn't used because it's not trivial to do in an automated way.

Comment

What language is Phoronix Test Suite written in?

(Yes, I'm lazy by not searching it, as it's probably mentioned somewhere)

Comment

Originally posted by kersurk View Post
          What language is Phoronix Test Suite written in?

(Yes, I'm lazy by not searching it, as it's probably mentioned somewhere)
          The bulk of pts-core is written in PHP5.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Good job though ...

still ... chunks ... I'll be back later.

Comment

I got a very sick feeling when seeing that damn logo and images on Phoronix.. It's too bright and hurts my eyes.. I don't know whats worse, the windows logo or the internet explorer one..

- D2G

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                The bulk of pts-core is written in PHP5.
                Is PHP5 anything like Python? And why choose a markup language?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  Is PHP5 anything like Python? And why choose a markup language?
                  PHP isn't a markup language... It can be viewed as similar to Python, it all depends upon who you ask, but this isn't even relevant to this thread.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by d2globalinc View Post
                    I got a very sick feeling when seeing that damn logo and images on Phoronix.. It's too bright and hurts my eyes.. I don't know whats worse, the windows logo or the internet explorer one..

- D2G
                    I think the IE one. You can use Firefox on Windows, but IE is a complete piece of sh*t.

Comment

It's to prove win7 how much faster Linux really is! xD

Comment

Support for older Windows versions

What about older Windowses (XP mostly, not Vista)? Is there something in PTS tying it to a specific version of windows? I tend to believe that XP is still important for most people - even on new systems.

I think having support for all computing platforms helps PTS to pick up more steam. For example OEMs could use it for checking performance of their products.

Comment

Originally posted by bogdanbiv View Post
                          What about older Windowses (XP mostly, not Vista)? Is there something in PTS tying it to a specific version of windows? I tend to believe that XP is still important for most people - even on new systems.

I think having support for all computing platforms helps PTS to pick up more steam. For example OEMs could use it for checking performance of their products.
                          True, because WinXP is still favoured over Vista. From what I can see, Win7 and Vista are very similar... Even though people are raving about the new Win7.

Comment

how many of the tests depend on cygwin?

I fear that most of the tests depend on cygwin, so it's that what gets tested and not raw win7. There should be at least an option to disable these tests.

Comment

Man, that OS looks like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                                True, because WinXP is still favoured over Vista. From what I can see, Win7 and Vista are very similar... Even though people are raving about the new Win7.
                                Win7 uses kernel 6.1 (afaik vista uses 6.0), but they claim it uses kernel 7.0 and number 6.1 is just for compatibility with some apps. Maybe they just forget to change this number to 7.0 and it's just vista kernel?
                                Last edited by kraftman; 11-06-2009, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X