Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 Benchmarking With The Phoronix Test Suite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    There are better programs on Linux like Kate.

He uses gnome, that's why he has to use Windows programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Alas, from the news posting, without any Windows systems. So first waiting for any companies to step up and provide a couple systems or at the least a couple Windows 7 discs...
      You know that you can easily install Windows 7 without any serial what so ever? It'll work fully for 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by lithorus View Post
        You know that you can easily install Windows 7 without any serial what so ever? It'll work fully for 30 days.
        I wonder if the legal terms in the EULA have anything to say about commercial use of the evaluation version, or about publishing benchmarks without MS's permission (the beta had terms like that - does the final release?).

Michael would have to either hire a lawyer or at least get in touch with people who publish Windows benchmarks and ask them what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          There are better programs on Linux like Kate.
          You are correct. I switched to Kate a few weeks ago...

But, the point was that some GPL software only exist in Windows.

Comment

Phoronix on W7 would be awesome, since it would allow us to compare Windoze vs various Unices

Everyone says that Windows is slower than Linux/BSDs/etc, so why not put that claim to the test?

Comment

Don't see a need for a Windows version of PTS.
              In my POV nobody should be using Windows at all. It's just a piece of crap we had to live with for way too long already. Don't bother giving more money to MS. They already have enough.

As for the Windows-only open-source software. They are not needed on Linux. They exist in Windows and not in Linux because they where made by Windows users to address needs that they have on that operating system and that we don't have in Linux. Like a better text editor, password manager, disc burner, etc. Both Gnome and KDE (and XFCE, LXDE, etc) all come with a nice set of well integrated native apps. I found Linux OS apps to be usually better than Windows OS apps and integrate better with the other apps and the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Phoronix on W7 would be awesome, since it would allow us to compare Windoze vs various Unices

Everyone says that Windows is slower than Linux/BSDs/etc, so why not put that claim to the test?
                You can already test Windows vs Linux vs BSD vs Solaris vs Mac vs whatever you want. You just don't have a nice, automated way to do so on Windows like you have with all those Unixes with the Phoronix Test Suite. A lot of the benchmarks integrated in PTS already run on Windows.

I think Michael have already publicized some Windows/Ubuntu comparison in the past. But I may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by jntesteves View Post
                  Don't see a need for a Windows version of PTS.
                  In my POV nobody should be using Windows at all. It's just a piece of crap we had to live with for way too long already.
                  I think Windows 7 is a well made OS. As I posted above, PTS would help compare it to Unix systems.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    I think Windows 7 is a well made OS. As I posted above, PTS would help compare it to Unix systems.
                    Yeah, I think its a fine piece of software too. At least compared to the shit they have released before.

But again, they introduced a new proprietary network protocol with W7. Now everybody have to catch up with that again. With trial and error development..!

Comment

But this has nothing to do with the legit point of being able to benchmark W7 using PTS for comparison reasons. You might even want to do this even if you're a Windows hater to the bone.

Comment

Working...
                      X