Wayland Live OS Is Now Based On Debian Testing, Working KDE Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland Live OS Is Now Based On Debian Testing, Working KDE Wayland Support

Phoronix: Wayland Live OS Is Now Based On Debian Testing, Working KDE Wayland Support

If you want to try out Wayland from a Live DVD/USB device, RebeccaBlackOS has seen a new release and ships the very latest Wayland/Weston components as well as for the high-profile software making use of Wayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I always thought rebeccablackos was supposed to be a big fat joke... They are actually not only maintaining it but developing it actively as well? What is going on?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
      I always thought rebeccablackos was supposed to be a big fat joke... They are actually not only maintaining it but developing it actively as well? What is going on?
      No, it's always been a real project. Maybe you're thinking of Biebian.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
        No, it's always been a real project. Maybe you're thinking of Biebian.
        lmao I never heard of Biebian. Don't forget - there's also Hannah Montana Linux, which was (maybe still is, not sure) a legit distro but focused on little girls. But yeah, RBOS has always been legit.

Since it has KDE support, I'm definitely interested in trying it out. Depending how it runs I might switch my Arch setup to Wayland.

Comment

My favourite fun distro was/is Ubuntu Satanic Edition. It even came with free Death Metal Music but is outdated and not maintained any-more since The Undead DVD version 666. I love their tag line to ''use at your own risk". I used to install it every Halloween, they still have some great background for when you are in a dark mood.

Comment

Isn't Ubuntu free software?

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
              Yes. Most of the Canonical-developed bits and bobs (Unity, Mir, Ubuntu Software Center, etc.) are licensed by Canonical under their own license, however, so it's free to download and distribute but there's some licensing issues some may face when, say, having an MIT-licensed display protocol built on top of Ubuntu-licensed packages and GPL-licensed core utilities. Smaller variety of licenses means less legal guff to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
                It is, but recently they announced some thing with a licence agreement, were you have to sign some license agreement, or if not recompile everything, and remove all trademarks, which is not defined (like does the word ubuntu that would appear in help dialogs count) and incredibly hard to find each and every one, and pull them out. Not to mention that for anyone forking the distro, THEY have to sign it too I think. (I doubt my distro big enough to be forked, but it's a matter of principle)

Comment

Thanks people, I understand the issue now.

Comment

Working...
                  X