No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Is A Letdown On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auggh, another post waiting to be approved.

And when I tried to submit this post I got the good old "you can only post once every 30 seconds.... please try again in 1 second" message.

TL;DR version: the text you quoted from the Catalyst page is only talking about Windows versions, it means "we don't support XP and we don't support Windows 8, just 8.1". The absence of Linux just means that the Windows driver doesn't run on Linux. Not even with Wine

The text from the HSA forum just says that current HSA releases, which are targeting the upstream all-open drivers, use radeon for Kaveri and amdgpu for Carrizo. Nothing new there.
    Last edited by bridgman; 25 November 2015, 06:40 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      TL;DR version: the text you quoted from the Catalyst page is only talking about Windows versions, it means "we don't support XP and we don't support Windows 8, just 8.1". The absence of Linux just means that the Windows driver doesn't run on Linux. Not even with Wine

The text from the HSA forum just says that current HSA releases, which are targeting the upstream all-open drivers, use radeon for Kaveri and amdgpu for Carrizo. Nothing new there.
      Thanks for the clarification bridgman. Can you confirm the new beta crimson driver supports Kaveri?

Comment

• I think i will settle up again my Athlon 2200+ and Radeon 7500 just to prove that this 14 years old GPU still works with opensource driver with 3D support too of course

Last year i recheck it on Debian Sid, played i think Angry Birds @ FullHD with wine on it It is not powerful, but it still works
        Last edited by dungeon; 25 November 2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by thalaric View Post
          Thanks for the clarification bridgman. Can you confirm the new beta crimson driver supports Kaveri?
          I think it will. amdgpu development started with Kaveri as experiment IIRC.

Comment

Kaveri is supported no doubt, but why you call that driver beta i dunno?

Only some beta crimson mentioned on AMD site is under legacy section for EG/NI... just guessing maybe you read some wrong page again.
            Last edited by dungeon; 25 November 2015, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Only some beta crimson mentioned on AMD site is under legacy section for EG/NI... just guessing maybe you read some wrong page again.
              uhhh because the release notes linked in the original post say beta? "I dunno" why you even reply, your opinions aren't helpful.

Comment

"I dunno" why you even reply, your opinions aren't helpful.
                Ah OK, i tried to help you.

You can send private message to Bridgman, this is public forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Nope, they're pretty much all working on the amdgpu stack.

It would be great if the people saying "stop working on Linux Catalyst and give us the open/hybrid stack" could get together with the people saying "gee I don't know why Linux Catalyst isn't moving as fast these days" and sort things out offline
                  The solution is at this point pretty simple. Pre-GCN is dropped. So Catalyst no longer makes any sense. Just extend AMDGPU support for all GCN cards as it was originally intended, finish it, and done. No need for split resources. The problem is that AMD is still concentrating on how to force people to buy new cards, not on being efficient.

Comment

• Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    So Catalyst no longer makes any sense.
                    Watch this video and say that again It is great job they did there on Windows, i would like for example to have profiles to be managed that easy on click

At least someone asked about UI for Linux there Even if answer was it is not there today, but it is open possibily to being done in the future
                    Last edited by dungeon; 25 November 2015, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by eydee View Post

The solution is at this point pretty simple. Pre-GCN is dropped. So Catalyst no longer makes any sense. Just extend AMDGPU support for all GCN cards as it was originally intended, finish it, and done. No need for split resources. The problem is that AMD is still concentrating on how to force people to buy new cards, not on being efficient.
                      Yes, because throwing away working driver code to replace it with new driver code that does the same thing the existing code already does is the model of being efficient.

/sarcasm

Comment

Working...
                      X