Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unigine 2.0 Officially Released With Big Improvements For This Linux-Friendly Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine 2.0 Officially Released With Big Improvements For This Linux-Friendly Engine

Phoronix: Unigine 2.0 Officially Released With Big Improvements For This Linux-Friendly Engine

While the Unigine engine isn't used by too many games compared to its presence in simulation and other industries, it remains one of my favorite engines for its top-notch Linux support over the years, beautiful OpenGL capabilities, and powering the most demanding Linux graphics tech demos. Today Unigine Corp is excited to announce the release of Unigine 2.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if the Unigine folks released a bare flight simulator, opened for mods, to give DCS World (mister "CPU multi-threading is not being pursued as it will provide little if any gain") a run for its money.

Comment

Wow. The images in the blog post look very, very good. Looking forward to the tech demo

3D-Graphics made a tremendous jump with physically based rendering and new global illumination techniques like voxel cone tracing.

Comment

it seems very weird to me the download process they use, it is just not simply open source

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          It would be nice if the Unigine folks released a bare flight simulator, opened for mods, to give DCS World (mister "CPU multi-threading is not being pursued as it will provide little if any gain") a run for its money.
          You mean this windows only thingy targeting a nano-audience having too much time learning to press the right buttons?
          I do hope they do not even try to compete with them

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

+1

Try to find a sophisticated but user-grade Flight Sim.
            X-Plane might be the closest you can get but has no collision with obstacles...
            MS Flight X is pretty outdated, doesn't look good not easy to use (not in the aircarft-controlling way but UI) and Win-exclusive
            FlightGear is neither easy to use nor has nice features.

All of those are not really nice to use but X-Plane is kinda ok. I don't understand what's so difficult about making a good FlightSim.
            The physics are there, you can use them.
            Collisions are available in every engine. And even maybe small crusing cars and people walking around - GTA V is able to do that.
            Just remove the OpenWorld stuff from GTA V and add more of a simulation? This would be so great :/

Comment

Would be cool if it supported Vulkan and Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by larkey View Post

+1

Try to find a sophisticated but user-grade Flight Sim.
                X-Plane might be the closest you can get but has no collision with obstacles...
                MS Flight X is pretty outdated, doesn't look good not easy to use (not in the aircarft-controlling way but UI) and Win-exclusive
                FlightGear is neither easy to use nor has nice features.

All of those are not really nice to use but X-Plane is kinda ok. I don't understand what's so difficult about making a good FlightSim.
                The physics are there, you can use them.
                Collisions are available in every engine. And even maybe small crusing cars and people walking around - GTA V is able to do that.
                Just remove the OpenWorld stuff from GTA V and add more of a simulation? This would be so great :/
                As a pilot, they are kinda fun for playing around with but none of them are any good for flight training. BTW, X-Plane by far works the best physics wise, especially 10.

Comment

Kerbal space program with FAR mod for me. I would like more Indie space sims too.

Comment

Working...
                  X