No announcement yet.

Power Management Update In Linux 4.3 Adds New Support, But Mostly Unexciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Management Update In Linux 4.3 Adds New Support, But Mostly Unexciting

Phoronix: Power Management Update In Linux 4.3 Adds New Support, But Mostly Unexciting

Rafael Wysocki mailed in the power management and ACPI updates this evening for the Linux 4.3 kernel merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

ACPI is basically a pest since MS had its fingers into it. Lately I even seem to have regressions, some buttons on a laptop stopped working with the .config just copied from 3.x to 4.x. A geode CPU won't even boot, it hangs, unless I submit a noacpi parameter to the kernel's boot command line. And it was perfectly fine before, that system even had good ACPI tables according to the iasl decompile recompile process.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

What CPus are affected by this update?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        What CPus are affected by this update?
        x86, and arm64 is starting to get infected by acpi as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

x86, and arm64 is starting to get infected by acpi as well.
          infected by what exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            ACPI is basically a pest since MS had its fingers into it. Lately I even seem to have regressions, some buttons on a laptop stopped working with the .config just copied from 3.x to 4.x. A geode CPU won't even boot, it hangs, unless I submit a noacpi parameter to the kernel's boot command line. And it was perfectly fine before, that system even had good ACPI tables according to the iasl decompile recompile process.
            You suggest to disable it in bios allowing APM only?

Comment

infected by what exactly?
              the needless complexity of acpi of course.

Comment

You suggest to disable it in bios allowing APM only?
                I don't think apm is implemented any more. acpi support is more or less mandatory for all recent (<=10 year old) x86 platforms.
                on arm64 you have the choice of OF or ACPI; if you want to be able to run windows on your arm64 board, you need acpi in your board.
                I should delete my comment about "infection"

Comment

Originally posted by mlau View Post

I don't think apm is implemented any more. acpi support is more or less mandatory for all recent (<=10 year old) x86 platforms.
                  on arm64 you have the choice of OF or ACPI; if you want to be able to run windows on your arm64 board, you need acpi in your board.
                  I should delete my comment about "infection"

It's not important to delete it, it's important to understand. What I don't understand is the reason why ACPI generates problems on linux systems, what problems it generates and the hardware range of these problems. Eventually how these problems occur and how to detect them, so to feedback to developers eventually they want to cooperate to make better linux systems.

Comment

Working...
                  X