Servo, Skylake & Even Windows 10 Have Been Very Appealing To Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo, Skylake & Even Windows 10 Have Been Very Appealing To Linux Users

Phoronix: Servo, Skylake & Even Windows 10 Have Been Very Appealing To Linux Users

It's been a long month: 305 open-source/Linux news stories and 30 featured/multi-page articles were typed for Phoronix this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know about you, but Win10's very much removed from appealing to me. >:-D

Comment

Michael, whats you motive to keep writing posts. I am just curious. Can you please answer yourself personally?

Comment

Hi Michael,

Have you consider creating a subscription plan for employers? I'm pretty sure my company - and many others - would be happy to pay for a professional knowledge services for their employees. Right now it's next to impossible to justify a paypal tip but having an invoice for a professional service would be easy to get approved.
        Rob
        email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
          Michael, whats you motive to keep writing posts. I am just curious. Can you please answer yourself personally?
          Committed to Linux as well as to projects I start... At least until Linux gains more marketshare or am able to just focus and work on PTS fulltime.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
            Hi Michael,

Have you consider creating a subscription plan for employers? I'm pretty sure my company - and many others - would be happy to pay for a professional knowledge services for their employees. Right now it's next to impossible to justify a paypal tip but having an invoice for a professional service would be easy to get approved.
            I guess it would be sort of hard to do a one-flat-company-wide subscription, but am pretty much open to any combination of company-wide subscription, advertisements, PTS sponsorship, whatever.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Win10 is pretty nice, though not much of an improvement over 8.1--MS seems to be doing more incremental updates to their OS with most of the big changes not user-visible. Still haven't figured out how to get multiple virtual-desktops working, though I haven't really been bothered to try or look up how to do it.

As far as interest from the Linux camp, who doesn't like to look over the fence to see what's going on? Especially techies, who like anything new or different, which would be a large chunk of the people who read Phoronix for the content (rather than the flame-wars).

Personally, I'll stick with Linux for most of my tinker-time, and use Windows for games that require it and when I don't feel like booting back into Linux. Only reason I upgraded to 10 was becasue it was new and free, and didn't fry my hardware or personal files when I did it.

Comment

Michael,

I do not use any ad-blocker. And yet, no ads are displayed when I visit phoronix.

You know why? Because I use privacy badger, which blocks the content that tracks me on the Internet.

So what about using ads that actually do respect one's privacy? This way you will get your ad views without infringing our privacy. Everybody wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelix View Post
                  So what about using ads that actually do respect one's privacy? This way you will get your ad views without infringing our privacy. Everybody wins.
                  There really aren't any ad networks like that.... Short of me selling ads directly and hosting them on Phoronix, but it sort of doesn't work out. Aside from being time consuming to do a bunch of direct ad sales, there aren't that many companies specifically interested in targeting Linux enthusiasts/gamers/etc. For the few like System76, they just use AdSense and the rates they pay are very low. The few direct ad sales done in the past few years have been mostly Linux server companies. Intel was going to do a nice ad deal that they offered, but that person seems to have disappeared and doesn't respond to my emails now...
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

There really aren't any ad networks like that.... Short of me selling ads directly and hosting them on Phoronix, but it sort of doesn't work out. Aside from being time consuming to do a bunch of direct ad sales, there aren't that many companies specifically interested in targeting Linux enthusiasts/gamers/etc. For the few like System76, they just use AdSense and the rates they pay are very low. The few direct ad sales done in the past few years have been mostly Linux server companies. Intel was going to do a nice ad deal that they offered, but that person seems to have disappeared and doesn't respond to my emails now...

Well then, if there is really no solution, then I'm afraid you will not generate revenues from me. It's a pity, because I am actually not against (non intrusive) ads and I do understand their importance. But I value my privacy more.

Comment

Working...
                    X