Open-Source Linux Driver Comparison: Skylake HD Graphics vs. Radeon Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
    iGPU, as in, the GPU part of an APU, or the on-board graphics on older intel boards (none were tested in this benchmark run, other than Intel's Skylake). Recent Intel iGPUs have gotten pretty strong, though I have a hard time imagining them keeping up with an a10-7700's GPU.
    Which means when Zen arrives w/ Arctic Islands GPU integrated as part of the SoC Intel takes it deep and hard by being driven back into nothingness wrt graphics results.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Over the years a couple of people have asked why we use a different numbering scheme for workstation boards (where the first digit approximates performance level, the second digit represents HW generation, and the model numbers always have the same number of digits).

^^^ This is why.
      I guess people like recent no digit naming more, like Fury and Nano

@#

And yeah again that 11-rc1 mesa so who cares, that has big perf regression for radeons which will be fixed with rc2.
      Last edited by dungeon; 28 August 2015, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Yes but the AMD 6570 is middle to low end 2011 graphics card so even if Intel integrated graphics can now match that they're still weak for today's games. Maybe games older than 2 years could be played at max quality and FullHD though.

I'm not sure why Intel even bothers though ... gamers still need to buy a standalone video card and office and casual users don't even need this kind of GPU power. Maybe with software that uses OpenCL though this would come in handy even for non-gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
          I'm not sure why Intel even bothers though ... gamers still need to buy a standalone video card and office and casual users don't even need this kind of GPU power. Maybe with software that uses OpenCL though this would come in handy even for non-gamers.
          Because there is a market for good quality integrated GPUs. It's not about gamers, it's about the SMB and Enterprise markets. Personally I do not know why gamers would go for the core i7 vs the 1 series xeons (basically a core i7 with no iGPU).

Comment

It's nice to see that the 6870 is being beaten by the more powerful cards on the OSS drivers. That wasn't the case a short while ago.

Comment

The Skylake results should be much faster than a 64 bit GFX card - it does not matter which generation as the benchmarks are usually bandwidth limited. With L4 cache however the speed will go up to the 128 bit range - maybe not for all but many as the Broadwell desktop benchmarks have already shown. Of couse if you compare integrated GFX you have to add the price as well - if you need a 2nd dedicated chip just for simple games like often sold with hybrid laptops then you have to pay that too. You can expect the market for lowend dedicated chips will go down to none if you can design the laptop without - maybe with a slightly more expensive CPU. You also make the driver updates much easier. A real gamer does not play with Intel GFX on desktop systems - this would be only enough for casual games, very unlikely that somebody wants to play with stripped down settings all the time to get higher framerates of more demanding games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
                iGPU, as in, the GPU part of an APU, or the on-board graphics on older intel boards (none were tested in this benchmark run, other than Intel's Skylake). Recent Intel iGPUs have gotten pretty strong, though I have a hard time imagining them keeping up with an a10-7700's GPU.
                You're somewhat right. Skylake doesn't reach A10-7700's performance yet, but Broadwell's Iris Pro is already better: http://anandtech.com/show/9483/intel...-generation/20
                And Iris Pro will come to Skylake sooner or later.

Comment

While my 6870 is still going strong, it's nice to see that, FINALLY, the 290 is looking like a very promising upgrade for use with the OSS driver. You can even pick a used one up for a pretty decent price now.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    It's nice to see that the 6870 is being beaten by the more powerful cards on the OSS drivers. That wasn't the case a short while ago.
                    Yep. My 6870 served me well all those years, but soon it is time to get something a little more recent. Also, looking forward to OpenGL4 and that radeonsi scheduler with some new hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

It was of the 11.0 Git branch a few days ago. The tests were done earlier this week. Often times it can be a few days from when I start testing to when testing appears, based on other articles written and how long the testing process takes.
                      That's understandable, but you were informed that you ran into a performance bug that has been fixed since. I think you should have either delayed the article and rerun the tests with a newer Mesa build or just scraped the article.
                      Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You're somewhat right. Skylake doesn't reach A10-7700's performance yet, but Broadwell's Iris Pro is already better: http://anandtech.com/show/9483/intel...-generation/20
                      And Iris Pro will come to Skylake sooner or later.
                      I doub't we'll see a desktop Skylake cpu with edram. In any case you're not taking into account the weaker CPUs on AMD APUs affecting the FPS in games. As far as raw GPU poeer is concerned Intel still seems to be trailing AMD by quite a margin. This should become quite obvious once APUs with HBM memory appear

Comment

Working...
                      X