AMDGPU SI Machine Schedule For LLVM Showing Much Promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrdanny View Post
    Can anyone tell me if or when this will be available for newbies like me? Don't want to install all kind of patches to get this working. I still prefer the fglrx driver because of the 'click and install' option in Ubuntu.
    Use a PPA. Somthing like this thoug is still only in a test phase as so is not avalible for easy install.

Comment

Originally posted by ObiWan View Post

And Dirt Showdown doesn't even allow Ultra settings on RadeonSI (don't know about fglrx)

On NVidia you can set everything to high or ultra, on radeonsi I'm locked to medium or high.
      On Catalyst it is the same, until user apply switch '--eon_disable_catalyst_workarounds' then options are highest... not tried that yet on radeonsi but maybe that can work there too

edit: without '--eon_disable_catalyst_workarounds' what is affected as i see are shadows (high), post processing (medium) and actually ambient occlusion option is missing. And with switch shadows are on ultra, post processing became high and ambient occlusion (ultra).

Probably eON disable those by default on anything other then nvidia (but i am not sure in that at all), again that prove it that those games are not good to compare drivers/cards (or at least benchmarks should compare them with exact same settings and what at least visualy works on all of them - that likely isn't top highest setting) Bioshock also show bad rendering without a switch, but is also faster with it and that fix rendering, etc...
      Last edited by dungeon; 26 August 2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Kudos to the devs. Seems that we're on the right track to eventually reach the point were *AMD* gets nominated as the "official best option for linux users" (thanks to its opensource drivers).

Comment

I've been on #radeon for a while, and it seems my system was correctly patched and yet I did not gain anything... so I am unsure of darkbasic's gains... maybe it is system dependent..

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            I've been on #radeon for a while, and it seems my system was correctly patched and yet I did not gain anything... so I am unsure of darkbasic's gains... maybe it is system dependent..
            Mesa is constantly CPU starved(aka the cpu cant push fast enough the result to the GPU), so i suspect with slow cpu the improvement will be nill, try to overclock you CPU a lot and check if you start to see difference, axel have a pretty beefy machine

Comment

I have an i7 so I doubt that's my issue. I'd be more inclined to see the opposite: my cpu (or gpu) is fast enough so that the changes don't really matter at least on the games I've tried.
              Last edited by geearf; 26 August 2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I don't see anything too... so this is likely a fake

Ah someone on irc said it is probably about something i bisected 10 days ago and is fixed 2 day ago cool that darkbasic benchmarked that
                Last edited by dungeon; 26 August 2015, 06:51 PM.

Comment

mannerov said that, ie the author of this patch

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                    Kudos to the devs. Seems that we're on the right track to eventually reach the point were *AMD* gets nominated as the "official best option for linux users" (thanks to its opensource drivers).
                    My R5-230M with PRIME works only at 400MHz if i force battery level, at 850MHZ it hangs. No solution with the latest Kernel-Mesa. AMD is actually years behind. Intel and Nouveau never hanged on me during reclocking.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Ah someone on irc said it is probably about something i bisected 10 days ago and is fixed 2 day ago cool that darkbasic benchmarked that
                      Exactly, there was window of a couple of hours since the two mesa builds and probably I was unlucky enought to caught it :/
                      Anyway I'm going to repeat the benchmark soon, to see what happened exactly.
                      ## VGA ##
                      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                      X