Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Publishes Open-Source Fiji GPU Support For AMDGPU

Phoronix: AMD Publishes Open-Source Fiji GPU Support For AMDGPU

AMD has published the initial patches for supporting the "Fiji" GPU with HBM memory, a.k.a. the new Radeon R9 Fury graphics cards, by the open-source "AMDGPU" Linux driver stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am not really impressed by AMDGPU but at least you should be able to use latest chips for basic workloads. It will be interesting if amdgpu+fglrx will run on Wayland first or if Nvidia will be faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      I am not really impressed by AMDGPU but at least you should be able to use latest chips for basic workloads. It will be interesting if amdgpu+fglrx will run on Wayland first or if Nvidia will be faster.
      What are you on about? Did you mean you're not really impressed with "radeonsi"? For Fiji?

Comment

These patches were mostly written by David Zhang - another guy I assume has traditionally done fglrx work.

They really need to get DPM working on Tonga/Fiji though.

Comment

@s_j_newbury

OSS/binary drivers without DRM are useless, just like nouveau without reclocking. As AMD wanted the AMDGPU approach to support fglrx userspace as well it can be used for KMS and therefore for Wayland. Wayland support for binary drivers would be something new, KMS support for nouveau/radeon kernel module is not new.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            @s_j_newbury

OSS/binary drivers without DRM are useless, just like nouveau without reclocking. As AMD wanted the AMDGPU approach to support fglrx userspace as well it can be used for KMS and therefore for Wayland. Wayland support for binary drivers would be something new, KMS support for nouveau/radeon kernel module is not new.
            But AMDGPU is really just an enhanced/extended radeon DRM driver. Re-clocking isn't there for Fiji yet, but I'm sure it won't be long. Personally, I have no interest in binary drivers, and I'm pretty sure AMD hasn't any interest in fglrx except for professional workstation OpenGL support, being able to play games is just an aside.

Comment

I still don't get the intentions behind all this. The Fiji is a brand new and extreme high-end GPU. There are probably 3 people using it worldwide. Why give priority to this one instead of older GCN and mid-range GPUs, used by hundreds of thousands of people? No wonder AMD has financial problems all the time. Someone from the management should really be fired ASAP.

Comment

3 ppl, haha, well maybe with Linux, but if you want to attract Windows gamers with highend systems to try Linux there need to be drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                  But AMDGPU is really just an enhanced/extended radeon DRM driver. Re-clocking isn't there for Fiji yet, but I'm sure it won't be long. Personally, I have no interest in binary drivers, and I'm pretty sure AMD hasn't any interest in fglrx except for professional workstation OpenGL support, being able to play games is just an aside.
                  Obviously most people do have an interest in binary drivers, otherwise Nvidia wouldn't have any Linux customers whatsoever, yet they are doing better than AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                    Obviously most people do have an interest in binary drivers, otherwise Nvidia wouldn't have any Linux customers whatsoever, yet they are doing better than AMD.
                    Nah, not an interest in binary drivers per se, only complete indifference towards giving money to unapologetic a-holes in exchange of percieved short-term personal convenience. That's been the crux of the IT industry for close to 3 decades now, nothing to be surprised with.

Comment

Working...
                    X