Steam Linux Usage For Last Month Was Just Shy Of 0.9%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Your example is EA, will get windows support later.

Source of the claim: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/a...faq#developers

Not even Xbone, ps4 are getting much exclusives.

The new thing is "time exclusives".

Valve could probably do some time exclusives or steamOS / linux users or those investing in their devices could get early access to betas, discounts, etc.

Lets also note Another thing is that even if we're going to use a computer for linux, when we buy it pre-installed with Windows it counts as windows sale and thus manufacturers don't even suspect they should offer alternative OSs and the % of Linux users stay the same. If the linux market is going to grow the only way is on pre-configured systems (which is why windows and android got so big in the first place).

Apart from Valve, Dell is also becoming a seasonal linux supporter, by offering it's Alienware steam machine and different laptop options:

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post

What I meant was that Linux is a large ecosystem and yelling at "developers" doesn't tell us who you think should do the work you care about. Linux works on my system, perfectly, why would I care about your setup? Why would Red Hat care about your printer? Which company or community should be working to fix the things you care about?
      You're complaining about technologies and hardware that isn't supported on Linux, but you place the blame on the OS / kernel developers instead of the companies who create them. It's not up to Linus Torvalds or Microsoft to make a hardware driver, that's the job of the people who made the hardware.
      If you have issues with PhysX, complain to NVIDIA. They claim it should work under Linux OSes with their drivers.
      You say that games are impossible to play, yet I've been playing many games on Steam on Kubuntu. The issue is that you have built a PC that doesn't work well with Linux OSes. Either stick with Windows, or build your machine with Linux in mind next time.

P.S.
      No need to yell, use punctuation.

"TOO MUCH DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND" should be "Is that so hard to understand?"

You're extremely emotional sounding and it's hard to read when you use incomprehensible phrases like "some spreaded soundcards" ??? Are these sound cards using a large surface area? I don't understand what you meant.

I will likely not reply to your next rant to avoid an explosion of this thread.
      You understand only what is convenient to understand.... as any hypocritical. Next time I'll write my native language and you'll answer in my native language so I'll learn to you other idioms instead of talking about the main theme. There is another kind of being which repeats language in perfect way, but don't understand the concept of those words: the parrot.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
        Valve could probably do some time exclusives or steamOS / linux users or those investing in their devices could get early access to betas, discounts, etc.
        Don't misunderstand me, I would totally support it. A new Valve game with SteamOS exclusivity would be very interesting. I wouldn't even have a problem with doing this to the whole Steam platform. Just imagine the panic...

Still, the likelihood of any of this happening is small. Linux and SteamOS for Valve still seems like a side project, not something they concentrate on too much. Damn, Gabe still didn't even react to Windows 10 privacy being a catastrophe. If 8 was one, 10 is a disaster...

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post

You understand only what is convenient to understand.... as any hypocritical. Next time I'll write my native language and you'll answer in my native language so I'll learn to you other idioms instead of talking about the main theme. There is another kind of being which repeats language in perfect way, but don't understand the concept of those words: the parrot.
          Hello Azrael, my name is Passso and I think we can become good friends.
          Because people do not understand why I still live in my mother's home and why I really really love maki with salmon, but I do hate soy sauce.

Sometimes I am very unhappy with this situation so I installed Ubuntu but I do not like it. I did it because my uncle said it was "cool".
          One day I typed Linux forum on Bing because my Toshiba Satellite could not boot Ubuntu 8.04. From then I come daily but feel a huge loneliness.

Maybe we can share our experience together and chat on Skype !
          Best regards,

Toni, aka Passso

Comment

Needs Blizzard and Origin to get onto Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Leinad View Post
              How I can play on Linux, when Mesa devs are ignoring bugs? :-(
              https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86720
              Presumably when you say "ignoring" you mean "seven responses to the bug ticket, including a patch which is reported to fix the issue" then yes I guess it is being ignored.
              Test signature

Comment

As it was written:

Linux is a kernel and a free/libre project, if someone needs a feature, he can start working on implementing it, like many people did before us.

If he can't or won't, and he hasn't enough money to help a contributor, and he won't start a crowdfunding, nor a bug bounty program, etc. then he needs to wait for someone else to want it, who can and will.

Developers are not our slaves.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                  As it was written [...] Developers are not our slaves.
                  That was precisely one of the main points I was trying to make that Azrael5 was ignoring!
                  If a thing sucks, then fix it, use something else, or supports those who can fix it.

This is partly why I buy hardware from companies who not only pledge and promise, but prove by delivering on that promise of Linux support. Hence why I bought a NUC5i5RYH. Damn happy with the intel hardware, runs all the games I care about (mostly indie & valve) very well. I play AAA titles on consoles, because it is a nicer experience (buy a PC for high end games every 2-3 years or a console every 7-9 years, easy to use wireless controllers, fewer bugs due to only one configuration to support, etc).

Comment

Azrael5

Perhaps, you want to get acquainted with this document. It's easier to post it on forums and websites, than to list your particular problems which may or may not apply to other people.

Comment

As it was written:

That list is mostly rubbish.

Take for example this:
                      "strangely some Linux developers oppose to the whole idea of games on Linux"
                      with a link to https://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-s.../msg00003.html. Well, nobody did. He completely made up that lie.

Comment

Working...
                      X