Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage For Last Month Was Just Shy Of 0.9%

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage For Last Month Was Just Shy Of 0.9%

The July 2015 Steam Survey results are now available! Back in June the Steam Linux usage was falling further but how did Linux gaming perform in July?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

two facts:
    - linux desktop market share is ~1.7%.
    - there are likely more windows users who like to play steam games than linux users which are mostly tech nerds
    so 0.9% is somehow expected and not so bad as it seems at a first glance.

Comment

Hopefully Valve will get their games working on Linux soon.

Comment

I think all but one game published by valve have been available for Linux for months...

Comment

there's still not any worthwhile Linux exclusive game titles
          It's not about several game titles, it's about at least 30% of Windows titles and I don't see it coming.

Comment

Let's not forget that the whole Steam userbase is growing at a very large speed. Even a smaller share means a lot more users than what we had a few years ago.

"and there's still not any worthwhile Linux exclusive game titles"

There probably won't be any. As far as I know the current policy of Steam requires ALL games to be available for the main platform, windows. No exclusivity is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              As far as I know the current policy of Steam requires ALL games to be available for the main platform, windows. No exclusivity is possible.
              Do you have any source for that claim? Here's a title which is currently Linux exclusive: http://store.steampowered.com/app/378410/

Comment

The main problem is the graphics card driver, for some people it's a pain to install, plus they are crappy

Comment

Yesterday was the first time I've gotten the survey in probably about a year.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
                    Yesterday was the first time I've gotten the survey in probably about a year.
                    I don't think I've ever participated in the survey.

I wonder how accurate the results reflect actual usage? Does the survey count users who run Steam via Wine as Linux users or Windows users?

Comment

Working...
                    X