Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Phone Gets Blasted In Reviews This Week

Phoronix: Ubuntu Phone Gets Blasted In Reviews This Week

Reviews of the Ubuntu Phone this week by general tech slights have largely expressed disappointment over the current Ubuntu Phone stack while being years in the making...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not too surprising to read that.

Comment

One negative review and your headline is "gets blasted in reviews"? Seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by brotiger View Post
        One negative review and your headline is "gets blasted in reviews"? Seriously?
        Butthurt?

Comment

So this is what Canonical have been sabotaging the Linux ecosystem for. What we need as Linux users and want as Linux developers is a common software stack. Canonical's dishonest, deceitful, switch from Wayland to Mir is unforgivable. If they had serious technical issues with Wayland they could have argued them within the Linux community, but they didn't they are merely seeking monopoly power. Mark Shuttleworth styles himself as the great dictator of Canonical. I think he fancies himself as a second Steve Jobs gaining power and dominance through ruthless control of the user interface. I have long suspected rather that he will prove to be the Mussolini of opensource.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            Butthurt?
            Not sure why you say that. It's completely valid. 1 terrible review, the other was actually quite good. The 'it has no apps' is obvious. Of course a new mobile OS won't have apps.
            Still, no apps is a huge reason not to buy. What good is a phone without Netflix, HBO now, etc.. And, one of the best reasons to use Android is the google integration. I suppose if you don't use any google email/calendar stuff, and don't need any of the normal apps, it would be almost ok

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Oliver View Post
              So this is what Canonical have been sabotaging the Linux ecosystem for. What we need as Linux users and want as Linux developers is a common software stack. Canonical's dishonest, deceitful, switch from Wayland to Mir is unforgivable. If they had serious technical issues with Wayland they could have argued them within the Linux community, but they didn't they are merely seeking monopoly power. Mark Shuttleworth styles himself as the great dictator of Canonical. I think he fancies himself as a second Steve Jobs gaining power and dominance through ruthless control of the user interface. I have long suspected rather that he will prove to be the Mussolini of opensource.
              ..and where is your software freedom now?
              stop whining that they didnt make the same decisions as you. Sure a single goal is probably easier to achieve, maintain and defend, but they chose not to. for well... reasons... reasons that are - because of the freedom we all cherish - none of your business. You dont own them so stop talking like they betrayed you! Just deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                Not sure why you say that. It's completely valid. 1 terrible review, the other was actually quite good. The 'it has no apps' is obvious. Of course a new mobile OS won't have apps.
                Still, no apps is a huge reason not to buy. What good is a phone without Netflix, HBO now, etc.. And, one of the best reasons to use Android is the google integration. I suppose if you don't use any google email/calendar stuff, and don't need any of the normal apps, it would be almost ok
                now, i'm as far as possible from Canonical fanboy, in fact due to the Mir FUD i'd never even consider using their product.

all the features you mention play 0 role. can i call? can i send sms? can i use gps? eventually add browsing (not for me though, browsing on phone is just one of those annoying experiences for me). i'm covered. and so are 99% of people i know. just thinking about watching something like movie on my phone makes my head spin fue to nonsense of doing so. if i watch movie, i want to do so on my big screen

and just what sort of google integration? android google features are at best annoyance that just doesn't want to go away

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                  Not sure why you say that. It's completely valid. 1 terrible review, the other was actually quite good. [...]
                  There was also a review of the MX4 Ubuntu Edition on the German Tech Site Golem.de which is generally Linux and Open Source friendly and they were pretty disappointed.

http://www.golem.de/news/meizu-mx4-m...07-115243.html

Letztlich bleibt Ubuntu Phone aber auch auf dem Meizu MX4 ein Trauerspiel. Unserer Meinung nach sollte Canonical das Projekt entweder richtig anpacken und ein leistungsf?higes, wechselw?rdiges mobiles Betriebssystem schaffen - oder es aufgeben.

Basically translates to that Ubuntu Phone remains a tragedy on the MX 4 (they also reviewed the bq). In their opinion Canonical should either get their act together and ship something polished and solid or just give up.

Last edited by blackout23; 26 July 2015, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post

..and where is your software freedom now?
                    What? Software freedom is about having guaranteed the right to acces the source of software that is running on your device. Also the Freedom to choose what software can run on your device.
                    stop whining that they didnt make the same decisions as you. Sure a single goal is probably easier to achieve, maintain and defend, but they chose not to. for well... reasons... reasons that are - because of the freedom we all cherish - none of your business. You dont own them so stop talking like they betrayed you! Just deal with it.
                    I honestly don't understand this aggressive tone. Your opinion is no more valid than Rich's, by what right do say "just deal with it" ?
                    Yes Canonical made a decision, yes they had their reasons, yes they had the right to do so; but they had made some people believe (including me) that they would help promote and develop the Free Software ecosystem (and undoubtedly ubuntu helped a lot, I'm not denying that). Then they started diverging, and pretty badly so...

Comment

Working...
                    X