Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You May Want To Wait On Trying Out The Linux 4.2 Kernel

Phoronix: You May Want To Wait On Trying Out The Linux 4.2 Kernel

If you're a Linux enthusiast that's a habitual upgrader of the Linux kernel, you may want to hold off a few days on trying out the Linux 4.2 development kernel. For several systems, I've seen nothing but kernel panics the past few days when riding the mainline Linux kernel Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I downloaded the 4.2 from the Ubuntu repositories and got Kernel panics too, in a FX8350 based system.

Comment

One of the biggest problems on my system: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101061
      Post your bugreports here to share your problems
      RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

AMD FX-8120 on FX990 chipset also gets a very quick kernel panic attempting to boot the 4.2 kernel as built by the Ubuntu kernel PPA late on July 5

Comment

Before anyone asks, no, unfortunately it's not much of an option to do the bisecting of the regressions given the affected systems are rather slow, and while PTS has support for auto-bisecting and can withstand preserving states across reboots, it will hang on the faulty kernel revisions and require manual intervention to recover.
          It seems that with Grub's one time boot and automatic reboot on kernel panic, you could get around the latter limitation. Won't help the speed, though.

A Continuous Integration-like system for testing Linux kernel development would be really great and something I would definitely support. I wonder if any companies like Intel are already doing something like this internally.

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post
            It seems that with Grub's one time boot and automatic reboot on kernel panic, you could get around the latter limitation. Won't help the speed, though.

A Continuous Integration-like system for testing Linux kernel development would be really great and something I would definitely support. I wonder if any companies like Intel are already doing something like this internally.
            I haven't found an easy way to tell GRUB that "If(kernel panic) reboot to older kernel instead as the default", if there was a way to do that, PTS already takes care of handling the rest. Rather right now it always seems to default to the latest (broken) kernel.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

No idea, rc1 all works fine since yesterday release of rc1 here on Athlon 5350 and Debian Sid... but it is self compiled minimal one, not a distro kernel.

Comment

In Sunday I was bisecting kernel, and it booted every time. Can you provide .config of your kernel? What compiler you used?
                Last edited by sobkas; 06 July 2015, 04:59 PM.
                RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

It is compiled using Sid's default gcc 4.9 and rc1 tarball. localmodconfig-ed and couple things added/removed too, etc.. that config is likely completely unusable for you but anyway as you wish:

Last edited by dungeon; 06 July 2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

for me it runs fine, no issues whatsoever since it was in the fc23 (rawhide) repos - i.e. 2 or 3 days

Comment

Working...
                    X