Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 7 screens look like KDE 4!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
    wait, is it because of the shiney clock?
    That's sarcasm, right?

    The whole "Desktop" is almost a ripoff of a KDE desktop... Only thing missing actually is the desktop changer widget (in GNOME and XFCE is called "the pager", I don't know what's called in KDE).

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
      That's sarcasm, right?

      The whole "Desktop" is almost a ripoff of a KDE desktop... Only thing missing actually is the desktop changer widget (in GNOME and XFCE is called "the pager", I don't know what's called in KDE).
      The only similarities I see is the huge task bar and the "start" menu is a square like in KDE. I haven't seen KDE4 but compared to 3 they're not that similar

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Moustacha View Post
        The only similarities I see is the huge task bar and the "start" menu is a square like in KDE. I haven't seen KDE4 but compared to 3 they're not that similar
        I do not see much similarity either. Also, even if their would be a lot of similarities, I don't understand what's the deal here. Windows has a long track record of copying things out of other OS. It's something you should be used to right now. B.T.W. it's not like Mac OS or Linux don't.

        Comment


        • #19
          well, i think whats interesting is that of anyone to copy from, they chose a linux desktop system as the source of their copying.

          Comment


          • #20
            no, seriously, I don't see how it's a blatant rip-off of KDE4. At least not from that screenshot. And I've been using KDE4 since the 3.97 days.

            Not that I'm trying to say the "new" desktop is completely original, mind you.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by curaga View Post
              That clear flamebait.. XFCE rules over all!

              Anyway, 7 is just Vista tweaked. Nothing to see here. Copying of KDE is pretty lame though. I bet the final version will have a 3d cube of desktop spinning.
              Not knowing a lot about the copyright side of Linux/open-source/ to A proprietary OS, Could the get away with having the Cube/effects of Linux GUI?
              Or anything else from the open-source side for that matter.

              Would the developers need to patent the idea first?


              Pete

              Comment


              • #22
                Well truth be known "the cube" effect debuted in OS X long before it did in compiz. The effect was used when you switched users.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by pete910 View Post
                  Not knowing a lot about the copyright side of Linux/open-source/ to A proprietary OS, Could the get away with having the Cube/effects of Linux GUI?
                  Or anything else from the open-source side for that matter.

                  Would the developers need to patent the idea first?


                  Pete
                  Only code is copyright - if they write their own implementation, and its not patented, then they would be fine. If they just ripped Compiz code, that would be illegal though, because (iirc) Compiz is licensed under the GPL, a license that requires you to place all your code under GPL if you use or link to any other GPL code (which MS would obviously not do).

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Well, I don't really see it either, but . . . One thing is for sure, IF they did take inspiration from KDE4, lets just be thankful that they didn't take all the KDE4 bugs and general KDE4 crapiness as well, I've been using Windows 7 Beta since release, and to be honest, for a Beta, it's far more solid/stable than any Linux distro I have used.

                    It's good to be back using a solid professional OS, as apposed to the flaky amateur mishmash that is Linux(GNU/Linux, hereafter referred to as just Linux). Don't get me wrong, Linux is fun and all, but really, it's never going to make it. I've been using it for a few years, and while it can be fun to be on the 'Bash Microsoft, Bash Windows, Bash Bill Gates' bandwagon, it really is refreshing to get away from all that. That plus that with Windows, you really can do anything you want on your PC, you don't have to worry about something not running, eg, play any game you want, as apposed to Linux, where you got to choose between a very, very limited selection of games that are released for Linux, or settle for half working, limited functionality vie Cedega/Wine, or worse again, settle for those crappy free games that Linux people would have you believe are so good. Then there is all the other programs that you can't run, and therefore must go without under Linux, for me the likes of, Photoshop CS4, 3dsmax, ProTools Sonar4 PE, VST's (that work correctly) and on and on it goes, sure Linux has some 'replacement software for a lot of things, but come on, in general most of the software freely available under Linux is generally buggy, non functional, and far, far, far from anything you might consider as 'feature rich', it just doesn't even remotely stack up against commercially available software available for Windows. However there are some good stuff there, I did like Digikam and Amarok(Pre 2.0), K3b, but still, they weren't even a patch on the commercially available Windows alternatives.

                    Then there's the hardware, it's good to not have to worry whether your hardware will work or not, just buy what you want, it's going to work, not so in Linux. I have some very expensive Hardware that just wouldn't work under Linux, it's just been sitting there gathering dust, but now, it's so good to have it back and working, working with quality is just so much better, far more satisfying.

                    I could go on and on (maybe I already have) but it really is refreshing to get away from all that Linux Zealotry, and once you do, and you head clears, it's really a wonderful and refreshing experience to be able to use your PC to it's full, and not be restricted by what you can run, or do, as you are in Linux. I mean, I want to play UT3, or most of the Latest release games, oh, sorry, but you can't do that in Linux, or . . . well, you get the idea. If all you want to do is surf the web, Email, a bit of light office work and the like, sure, Linux might be able to fulfill that role, but if you start to widen your horizons, you soon start to hit the walls, where outside that, it is a pain in the @$$ to use Linux.

                    Linux is basically for the enthusiast, the people who like to mess around with this type of stuff, and doesn't mind if things, a lot of things don't work, or don't work as they should, or are incomplete, in alpha/beta stage of development, and that's fine, but if you want things to 'just work', and not to have to go messing around with things, digging into the konsole, searching for those obscure commands, and all you want to do with your PC is get on with using it, then Linux is not for you, Windows is where it is at.

                    Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to bash Linux (to late you might say), and I don't really think I am, I am just stating the truth as I see it, as I have experienced it, nothing I have said here is a lie, it's all fact, and anyone who is honest with themselves will know. I really don't believe Linux will ever come out of that 'enthusiast' niche that it is in, and has always been in, it is foolish to think that it could ever actually stand up and take on Windows, I mean come on, by comparison, hardly anyone uses Linux, </= 1%, that's not many users by anyone's standards, hardware/software developers in the main couldn't care less about supporting Linux, it's just not worth it, sure things are changing, but it's changing that slowly, that it is hardly noticeable, Linux advocates have been saying the same thing, over and over for the last 10 years. It's not going to happen, not until you can do EVERYTHING in Linux that you can do in Windows, and I don't mean everything as in by using inferior replacement software, I mean run the exact same software that Windows can run, and run it as fast and with all the functionality, and with the ease that it can be run under Windows(no intermediate programs like wine/Cedega, Crossover, virtual machines etc), I mean to say, lets be real, it's a Windows world, that's not going to change any time soon.

                    Oh, and finally, please, please don't bring up virus, spyware, malware what ever, in all the years I have used Windows, I have never had any problems with it, I don't use any special software, I only use the inbuilt XP Pro firewall (before XP I used no firewall), free AV (avast) free Spyware (SB Search and Destroy), it all comes down to common sense, if you go clicking on anything and everything that pops up, or if you go opening any and every Email, Email Attachment that comes your way, if you visit questionable sites, use warez/pirated software etc, well, you've only got yourself to blame, it's not Windows/Microsoft's fault. If the day ever did come when there was enough people using Linux to make it worth the while for the hackers/criminals, rest assured, you would no longer have that excuse to throw at Windows users, because Linux would be getting targeted by the hackers as well, the only reason it doesn't now is that comparatively speaking, no one uses Linux (</= 1% FACT)

                    Ex Linux user, who is extremely happy to have escaped the Linux world after a number of years, I certainly wont miss the Zealots/Zealotry that you find in the Linux community, and they really do do Linux a disservice. Bye. Oh, and don't believe the FUD, Windows 7 absolutely rocks !!

                    (Sorry, I just followed a link here, and thought I'd have my say, and well got a little carried away, no offense intended, enjoy)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Mmmm, delicious copypasta

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        @galynda:
                        tl;dr

                        ...but, why? And I don't mean "why won't you give Linux a chance?" I mean "why come here, set up an account with the forum, and proceed to tell us all the reasons we're wrong for supporting Linux?"

                        Granted, the louder ones might have you believe otherwise, but most of the free/open source software advocates are such because they value choice. You've made your choice and are apparently satisfied with it. Is there really a need to come here for the sheer purpose explaining, at great length, your choice?

                        and by the way, KDE4 != KDE 4.0.0.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          That was... quite a read. Thank you for the enlightenment on the suckage of linux, we'll all switch to Windows 7 now. kthxbye.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            (Sorry, I just followed a link here, and thought I'd have my say, and well got a little carried away, no offense intended, enjoy)
                            Is Microsoft really employing shills now, or is this just a plain old idiot wishing to incite flames? No offense intended (enjoy!)

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Ah well, that somehow was to be expected... One guy sharing his opinion followed by flaming. Honestly, are we on Slashdot or what?

                              If it's his opinion that Windows is better than Linux that's okay, especially as he tried both of them and found out that the first one suits better for him.

                              What was this topic about? Windows 7 and KDE 4, not about bashing Windows-lovers.
                              Now, if you don't share that opinion you could just be quiet and not screw the thread with a whole page of bashing posts.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by galynda View Post
                                Well, I don't really see it either, but . . . One thing is for sure, IF they did take inspiration from KDE4, lets just be thankful that they didn't take all the KDE4 bugs and general KDE4 crapiness as well
                                No, absolutely not!! they introduced their own bugs!

                                Originally posted by galynda View Post
                                It's good to be back using a solid professional OS, as apposed to the flaky amateur mishmash that is Linux(GNU/Linux, hereafter referred to as just Linux). Don't get me wrong, Linux is fun and all, but really, it's never going to make it. I've been using it for a few years, and while it can be fun to be on the 'Bash Microsoft, Bash Windows, Bash Bill Gates' bandwagon, it really is refreshing to get away from all that.
                                "flaky amateur" is far from reality, and a bit trollish: benchmarks say windows is flaky, and we all know how many professional people work on GNU/Linux.
                                The kernel itself has code quality standards to meet, and other things that make it the opposite of an amateur toy.

                                Originally posted by galynda View Post
                                That plus that with Windows, you really can do anything you want on your PC, you don't have to worry about something not running, eg, play any game you want, as apposed to Linux, where you got to choose between a very, very limited selection of games that are released for Linux, or settle for half working, limited functionality vie Cedega/Wine, or worse again, settle for those crappy free games that Linux people would have you believe are so good. Then there is all the other programs that you can't run, and therefore must go without under Linux, for me the likes of, Photoshop CS4, 3dsmax, ProTools Sonar4 PE, VST's (that work correctly) and on and on it goes, sure Linux has some 'replacement software for a lot of things, but come on, in general most of the software freely available under Linux is generally buggy, non functional, and far, far, far from anything you might consider as 'feature rich', it just doesn't even remotely stack up against commercially available software available for Windows. However there are some good stuff there, I did like Digikam and Amarok(Pre 2.0), K3b, but still, they weren't even a patch on the commercially available Windows alternatives.
                                On windows you can do all that they think you can do.
                                And let's speak about software: commercial software exists for linux too (I mean the linux version of the same windows software) and it works much better (again, face it on the workground)

                                And remember that just a few people really need all the features that commercial software grants.

                                Originally posted by galynda View Post
                                Then there's the hardware, it's good to not have to worry whether your hardware will work or not, just buy what you want, it's going to work, not so in Linux. I have some very expensive Hardware that just wouldn't work under Linux, it's just been sitting there gathering dust, but now, it's so good to have it back and working, working with quality is just so much better, far more satisfying.
                                Ok this may be a point for windows, but again it's not linux fault! But again face it: most of the hardware works without limitations even on linux.

                                Originally posted by galynda View Post
                                Oh, and finally, please, please don't bring up virus, spyware, malware what ever, in all the years I have used Windows, I have never had any problems with it, I don't use any special software, I only use the inbuilt XP Pro firewall (before XP I used no firewall), free AV (avast) free Spyware (SB Search and Destroy), it all comes down to common sense, if you go clicking on anything and everything that pops up, or if you go opening any and every Email, Email Attachment that comes your way, if you visit questionable sites, use warez/pirated software etc, well, you've only got yourself to blame, it's not Windows/Microsoft's fault. If the day ever did come when there was enough people using Linux to make it worth the while for the hackers/criminals, rest assured, you would no longer have that excuse to throw at Windows users, because Linux would be getting targeted by the hackers as well, the only reason it doesn't now is that comparatively speaking, no one uses Linux (</= 1% FACT)
                                Eh it's not only that! Micro$oft doesn't intentionally fill security holes in the name of compatibility. This is a FACT.
                                So may be useless to have a firewall/antivirus if security holes are just open :P

                                I didn't want to start a flame, you did it I hope my answers won't hurt anyone.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X