Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Readers: SteamOS / Steam Machines Will Lead To Significantly Greater Linux Marketshare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
    Anyway: PS4 is a BSD based PC console, XBOX is a windows based PC console, as a matter of fact, they have roughly the same specs.
    It should be noted that both companies are realizing that there's more money in it as a service, so even if they aren't selling consoles, they'll be making money through services or games. Also, it should be fairly easy to port from the PS4 to the Steam machines. Linux has everything except for the following:

1: Very good AMD drivers (catalyst is not on par with Windows)
    2: A solid target, as in, Linux is constantly moving. The steam runtime I believe fixes this though.
    3: Gaming optimized OS. Before you say that would be Steam OS, it's not exactly gaming optimized like the consoles... yet. The consoles have it set up so at least 1 or 2 cores are dedicated to the system, regardless of the game. The means everything stays smooth and responsive, so I can open up the steam menu and do stuff while it's loading. Also, I would say that with Big Picture mode looks pretty, it's not efficient enough either, unless it's just my AMD GPU that has trouble with it. Again, the other consoles have 4 GB reserved for games, ~2 GB for Video Processing and ~ 2 GB for the system. Also, you can't just launch the games and have them work pre-optimized for FPS or for pretty graphics/high resolution. Sometimes they have little configuration windows that pop up (which I love when I'm using keyboard and mouse but not with gamepad)

Comment

Originally posted by << ⚛ >> View Post

I doubt that's the case.

I will never buy a Steam machine that can run everything my Linux machine can run - but I might buy PS4 because it has exclusive titles.
      then you are easily abused imbecile

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
        when they can drop 350 bucks on a console that usually has a game thrown in, too.
        you can buy all 24 valve games for price of one console game and that is without sale discounts. and what moron would pay 350 bucks for one game?

Comment

is it some kind of roster of people who missed android?
          linux already has majority(>50%) market share

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            then you are easily abused imbecile
            No .

Comment

yes. exclusives only work on imbeciles

Comment

you can buy all 24 valve games for price of one console game and that is without sale discounts. and what moron would pay 350 bucks for one game?
                People who buy a console for one exclusive title usually end up buying more. When I bought my PS3, I merely got it for Little Big Planet. Today, I own half the gaming library. Same with the PS4 (I own so many on that one, I don't even remember the title I got it for. Could've been The Order 1886).

Furthermore, PSN+ is cheap. 50 bucks/year for 2 PS4, 2 PSV and 2 PS3 games/month.

Yea. A majority market share in a completely different market. Not misleading, at all...

Comment

Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                  People who buy a console for one exclusive title usually end up buying more.
                  just as i said, when you compare hardware + games on both sides, steam machines will be cheaper
                  Originally posted by unixfan2001 View Post
                  Yea. A majority market share in a completely different market. Not misleading, at all...
                  no more different than consoles. and i counted all markets of personal computers, linux has majority of combined market.

Comment

When we say "Linux", we're using it as shorthand for the Linux+glibc+X11 ABI. Android is not "Linux" because it cannot run "Linux" applications, even if they're compiled for ARM.

(Or, to put it another way, by your definition, XBox consoles run Windows and iDevices run MacOS X, since they do use the Windows and Darwin kernels.)

Comment

Yeah all Playstation 4 users are FreeBSD users, but they didn't know it Further one can say that FreeBSD take 70% of the console market in Europe currently

Comment

Working...
                      X