Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Surprising Open-Source / Linux Microsoft Announcements Made So Far This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Surprising Open-Source / Linux Microsoft Announcements Made So Far This Year

Phoronix: The Surprising Open-Source / Linux Microsoft Announcements Made So Far This Year

While the year is not close to being over yet, there's already been a surprising number of Linux and open-source related announcements made by Microsoft in 2015!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would love to see Visual Studio ported to Linux.
    No not VS Code, I mean the real VS.

Sure IntelliJ IDEA and Eclipse are alright. But Visual Studio blows everything out of the water.

Comment

I was happy to see the VP9 stuff. I never thought Microsoft would do that.

Comment

In before the "But Microsoft is evil!!!!11!!1!!" posts.

Comment

Further Microsoft news I would like to read this year:
          • Microsoft: We will stop bullying the competition with software patents.
          • Microsoft: We will stop lobbying lawmakers to block laws which promote open standards and free software for use in the government.
          • Microsoft: We will stop using draconian DRM to prevent users from running their own software on our closed devices.
          • Microsoft: We will stop misinformation campaigns ("Get the facts" etc.), Astroturfing and other ways of spreading lies, especially against Linux.
          • Microsoft: We admit that our OOXML "standard" is no good and will stop promoting this non-interoperable file format.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I would love to see Visual Studio ported to Linux.
            No not VS Code, I mean the real VS.

Sure IntelliJ IDEA and Eclipse are alright. But Visual Studio blows everything out of the water.
            The main blocker there is that the WPF team needs to be convinced to go open source or at least cross platform, which I think in the long run will happen, but hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Wow, the layoffs have really forced them to change organizational culture.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Wow, the layoffs have really forced them to change organizational culture.
                Actually just one layoff in particular... Ballmer's

Comment

More Linux love from Microsoft:

Ditch Linux for Windows 10 on your Raspberry Pi with Microsoft?s IoT kit

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                    Further Microsoft news I would like to read this year:
                    • Microsoft: We admit that our OOXML "standard" is no good and will stop promoting this non-interoperable file format.

Heavily agree!

Comment

Working...
                    X